Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How hot is a Core i7 supposed to get?

Wrevan

So I just got a new comp just for this, and while it runs awesome (and the game looks simply great on max in 1080) I noticed my CPU hitting 81C :eek:

It's a 2670QM @2.2OGHz. Anyone with the same/similar CPU know if it's supposed to get this hot during gameplay?

EDIT: It's a mobile CPU with Intel's "Switchable Graphics" deal paired with a Radeon 6970 (that runs cooler than the CPU even though I'm not using the Intel GPU!) Idles at a 50C average.

Edited by Wrevan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just got a new comp just for this, and while it runs awesome (and the game looks simply great on max in 1080) I noticed my CPU hitting 81C :eek:

It's a 2670QM @2.2OGHz. Anyone with the same/similar CPU know if it's supposed to get this hot during gameplay?

Thats not that high but the paste could be applied wrong on proc to your heatsink/fan.

What kind of comp you got and what proc heatsink/fan you using?

I have an i7 and not hitting gi temps at all.

If it is a laptop you'll need a cooling pad, if it is a desktop sounds to me like they didn't put enough cooling or the correct cooling in the tower.

Switch your PC off now and redo the thermal paste.

You are going to bork that CPU!

I had a similar problem with mine. It claimed it was running at 81 THE VERY FIRST TIME I powered it on. After a second it would drop down to 50. Try re installing your motherboard BIOS. It could just be a faulty reading. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally overclock. If you haven't upgraded your cooling system from the standard shipped one then that could also be the issue.

I have a i 7 990 x liquid cooled . mine does not go past 65 % . that is definately hot, on a side note if you have a warranty return it. and dont get a 2.0 GHZ cpu step down if you have to to a 2500 and get a 3.8 youll be much happier.

Is it a prebuilt computer, like a dell or whatever? If so just get an aftermarket cooler, like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 for like $25 and install it.

It might take some time doing, because you have to affix a metal bracket on the bottom of the motherboard, but its well worth it.

Switch your PC off now and redo the thermal paste.

You are going to bork that CPU!

Agreed. Something must be wrong with his cooling. I do NOT want to see his temperature when he is video editing :p

My CPU gets pretty hot, but only when all 12 logical cores are working on video editing.

Hey, recently I found out that you cant compare cpu temperatures without other factors that drastically affect them.

I built quite a few PCs for my friends etc recently with i5 2500, similar case, same motherboard, same graphic card etc. Without load in windows they were at 34° and after few hours playin swtor 56°.

I bought myself new PC with the same CPU just different case (in my case with power supply on the bottom) and I was in windows on 55 and after few hours playin SWTOR 95!!.

I know I had cooling paste and fan on correctly but something had to be wrong.

At the end I found out that with different power supply positioning there was nothing taking out the CPU heat from the case. So I added another fan to the back of my case and I got to correct temperatures.

to the guy above sayin 100% load 23° i woul call BS but maybe he is playin in freezer I dno.

Anyway, make sure You have GOOD air flow in and out of the chassis. Plus I noticed that opening a window for an hour or so decreases my CPU temperatures by 10°. So again its important whats the room temperature too. If the hot air going out of the case aint blocked by some furniture etc.

EDIT:

for the guys saying you will burn your CPU, You wont. 81 degrees aint that high to destroy the CPU, most CPUs can handle more than 100°, its more about decreasing the CPU's life while running on higher temperatures.

But YES, this game is at some points eating 100% usage of my i5 2500, with all 4 cores running on 100%. usually its around 35% but sometimes it spikes out to 100% usage, dno why. At these times the cores get hotter.

Edited by Riddickcz

I forgot to mention this's a mobile rig (I know I know, lol at laptops for gaming but it runs almost everything maxed out) that idles at 45C-50C in around 15C ambient.

That's hot. Sounds more like a GPU temp.

Come to think of it, this could be because of the whole "Switchable Graphics" thing where there's an extra low-power Intel GPU on the CPU die, and I'm guessing all video stuff goes through it anyway even when you're using the dedicated graphics.. :s

CoreTemp showed a max of 81C while GPU-Z showed my Radeon 6970 maxing out at 66C..funny

I have liquid cooling on my i7. You should keep your processor as cool as possible. Your whole system will hang with a processor overheat. Will also randomly shut down and reset the system too.

While its nice, you definitely do not need liquid cooling these days. Unless you are OCing the chip to its max and trying to squeeze out every last ghz, its realy overkill.

I have a 2500K OCed to 4.2 and rarely my processor ever reaches more than 56C full load with air cooling.

TJUNCTION 100 C

http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-%286M-Cache-2_20-GHz%29

81 c is still within the specs. Mobile processors can generally handle higher temps compared to dekstop variants. You can always try to give cooling fins bit dust-off as its _very_ cramped area that tends to collect bit of dust.

Also you can get Intels processor tester software(free) and run it, it will also run stress test and report if everything is fine.

edit:

Source: currently working as programmer/DBA/sysadmin, ex work as techsupport, repairing/servicing different laptops servers and notebooks. If it really overheats, you will notice symptons like sudden stuttering even in desktop(thermal throttling) and possibly computer shutting itself down in order to protect the CPU.

Edited by Murski

Think the Op is using a lap top as 172600qm is a laptop processor might be wrong. If you have purchased it and its within warranty contact the company you got it from. Even it its a tower pc if its under warranty contact them as your fan, thermal paste or even the CPU is knackered in my opinion.