The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Republic endgame gear does not make me look powerful. Only stupid.

ndruo

I think Jedi Consulars' endgame pvp gear looks great. The problem is the complete lack of diversity (in pve too). There are 12 different sets (i.e: [centurion, champion, battlemaster] x [force-master, force-mystic, stalker, survivor]), and they look all the same. Little color differences, but nothing worth mentioning.

edit: maybe shadow gear looks a little different, so it's rather 6-6, two different look.

Edited by marTHCi

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The color red. Or orange. Or yellow. Or various shades of green, blue, and purple.

A Seer hat that doesn't look like I would decapitate my companion if I spun around too quickly.

A Trooper helmet that doesn't look like you could **** it if you got drunk enough.

No Jedi in any movie has worn red, or orange. Yellow I could see, but against yellow is a loud colour, which generally means it's Sith.

You see, the game has very distinct colour-tones. Sith are loud, primary colours while Jedi are muted earth tones.

Adding red to your wardrobe would destroy this dichotomy.

You'll find the same colour scheme design choice in the movie New Jack City. The good guys wear muted earth tones, the bad guys wear flashy bold colours.

This is actually quite common in costume design, so the addition of those bold colours would butcher the existing lore and art style.

I agree that I've seen enough brown equipment for a lifetime. I haven't reached 50 on any of my toons, so I don't have a good feel for what the equipment looks like.

However, I did get a very nice chest piece for my Consular somewhere between levels 10 and 20 that has blue with a dove gray and actual, shiny gold on it - AND it doesn't have a hood! But the best thing about it is that it's an orange, so I can continue to update the mods and keep it forever, unless something else turns my fancy.

I wouldn't mind a hood if it weren't in the 'up' position, and unless a helm is extremely cool, I keep helm on hide. I did this when I played WoW as well. If it makes my toon look stupid, I don't want it shown. (Thank you, Bioware, for allowing us to hide helm.)

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up other orange gear that I like for all my toons and hang on to it for dear life.

I do agree Sith Inquisitor gear is so much cooler than Alliance Consular. I haven't played any other Sith classes to have an informed opinion on them.

***editted to correct word choice.

Edited by Kyndrid

As for Jedi's, I refuse to wear anything to fancy, real Jedi's are humble beings wearing robes made out of potato sacks.

I agree that there is to much silly looking headgear, this isn't world of weirdhats.

Edited by Mineria

One of the most powerful Jedi of all time, Yoda, wore brown robes with a hood until pretty much the day he died.

Jedi aren't supposed to look epic, they're an order of warrior monks who've all but taken a vow of poverty.

This^. Jedi Knights typically look like Ven Zallow and Consulars wear robes and hats. Sith on the other hand are intended to instill fear into their enemies like Darth Baras although Jadus wasn't exactly fearsome looking.

(This post is meant to be a half-serious, half-joking mention of what I think is a common complaint for Republic players.)

Use more colors than white, brown, and dark brown, and black. And before you ask, no - grey does not count as "mixing it up."

Smugglers: you got this right, or at least pretty close to it. If there ever was a Space Cowboy, then this was it. I like it. BUT. Why is there a ninja hood and mask? The cowboy hat wasn't cool enough? Or was it just too tricky to make it work with the hair choices?

Troopers: Instead of a neck I have more chins than a Chinese phone book. And my mouth reminds me of a blow-up doll, which is doubly awkward when I'm wielding a giant phallus for a weapon.

Consulars: I'm so, so very sorry.

Seriously, though - there are only two color schemes here: white or grey. You also have a dash of bluish white tinged with grey for accents. Finally, make your choice between "fan" for Sages' and "octopus" for Seers' headgear. If you ever wondered what Princess Amidala would look like as a Jedi, you don't have to wonder anymore.

Knights Not bad, but uninspired. "Wow this Jedi Knight must be really powerful!" "How can you tell?" "He is wearing a hooded robe with shoulderpads on the outside." "...Don't they all wear that?" "Yes, but he wears sunglasses."

My suggestions: Get a more colorful color palette. Neutral colors are boring as hell. Colors are going to add appeal orders of magnitude larger than what we have available now.

Rethink headgear. Full-face helmets don't have to be evil or scary looking, and no more blow-up doll mouths, please. Hell nice-looking collars would be a big step up.

TL;DR: MORE COLORS, LESS STUPID HATS.

P.S.: I would like my ship to resemble something that is not a brick.

All the empire gear looks like *** aswell. I think this has more to do with bioware outsourcing there art designers to india.

Gah consulars... I made one and went to see his end-game gear. I was flabbergasted at the horrendous hat and just everything else.

Smugglers + cloak = Bandit? What? >_>

Jedi knight isn't too bad, but like you said... It's just a robe with armor. :p

Trooper I actually like, except for that weird wrapped up helmet.

What happened to the major differences between each AC? :*(

In my opinion, Jedi would look totally lore appropriate in dark blue, forest green, maroon, etc. maybe even with some small, brightly colored decorative flourishes. They already have orange robes (T2 sentinel PVE gear) and red robes (guardian quest drop). No reason they couldn't have more colors.

The current state of Jedi PVP gear, which is brown, brown and Space Samuri seems lacking.

Not to mention strange.... I mean, Space Samuri, really? Dropping the robes for PVP armor makes some sense, and the armor itself isn't so bad (armor dye would be AWESOME tho), but the helm just puts it over the edge. Waaaay over the edge.

PS just for emphasis: ARMOR DYE PLZ THX K BAI

No Jedi in any movie has worn red, or orange. Yellow I could see, but against yellow is a loud colour, which generally means it's Sith.

You see, the game has very distinct colour-tones. Sith are loud, primary colours while Jedi are muted earth tones.

Adding red to your wardrobe would destroy this dichotomy.

So blue, green, and purple are still on the board that you subscribe to? Keep in mind, Sith/darksiders in the star wars movies didn't wear red or orange or whatever - they wore black instead of beige like lightsiders. Everything else looked pretty much the same.

The only time red was really prominent on screen was through lightsabers, blaster bolts, Darth Maul's face, and the symbol of the rebel alliance. That, and the empire's personal guard.

=/

But there's the thing, red isn't dark, or light, it's a color. We want COLORS.

As far as being able to denote factions goes, I feel like the fact that you can kill the other team to be separating enough. It's not as if Republic is necessarily "light siders" anyway.

Edited by ndruo

What do you really expect them to do with Jedis and still conform to lore? A proper Jedi should be humble. On the path to humility, one normally doesn't dress as a pimp. Remember that Jedis might as well be space-faring Buddhists.

It seems to be a concept so many people can't understand. To me the jedi are a very accurate represenatition of the lore. Anyone complaining about the look just doesn't seem to get it, i guess they want more shiny things. Ohh squirrel.

First picture:

he Imperial Knights, formally the Knights of the Empire, were an order of Force-practitioners loyal to the Emperor of the Fel Empire. They were fully trained in the ways of the Force and rejected the dark side of the Force, unlike previous Imperial Force-based organizations. Though they did not draw on the dark side, they did not strictly follow the light side either, and were viewed as Gray by the Jedi Order.

Not Sith or Jedi, but actually Imperial in nature, hence the red.

Second Picture:

Can we confirm the source is a legitimate artist for Star Wars canon? What is the source?

Third Picture:

A dude wearing green... a muted earth tone... how does this contradict me?

4th:

Two dudes in primarily sand and earth colours... muted earth tones, as I said. That's not red as much as it is clay-coloured.

All the empire gear looks like *** aswell. I think this has more to do with bioware outsourcing there art designers to india.

Not shiny enogh for you? I'll take this stuff over the ridiculous over the top junk you see in so many MMO's now/

Edited by TheHeadCapper

It seems to be a concept so many people can't understand. To me the jedi are a very accurate represenatition of the lore. Anyone complaining about the look just doesn't seem to get it, i guess they want more shiny things. Ohh squirrel.

I thought Jedi in KOTOR could wear heavy armor, it just impacted force powers?

What do you really expect them to do with Jedis and still conform to lore? A proper Jedi should be humble. On the path to humility, one normally doesn't dress as a pimp. Remember that Jedis might as well be space-faring Buddhists.

Right, so that's why we get to look like a pope-wannabe, or wear a wedding gown? :)