SSD Does NOTHING to improve Loading Times for SWTOR

SiEDeN

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My load time is fairly quick (<15 secs for planets) and I use an Intel 510 series SSD.

My Alt + Tab is instant as well.

FYI:

i52500K OC'ed to 4.7

MSI Twin Frozr GTX 570 OC'ed

8 GB DDR Ram

nice oc want to play with a 2600k so bad but im at point need to change whole rig =/ pry just wait till next gen cores

Edited by dvsxxx

Thanks, took some trial and error in the BIOS to get it stable and a **** load of fans.

I use a Maximus IV Extreme mobo with a UEFI BIOS and it had default OC parameters set for most Intel CPUs. Is fantastically easy to OC for people who don't fully understand the specifics of the BIOS settings (or who are just lazy like me).

Took me 2 clicks to go from the stock clock on my 2600k to 4.6.

Kind of off subject, but definitely an awesome feature.

I have 4 SATA 3 SSD's in a raid 0, and the load times have gotten worse with recent patches, but it's still below 15 seconds. I do alot of waiting for other people to zone load.

For the people who are saying that their SSD and HDD have the same load times, did you image from the HDD to the SSD? If you did, that's your problem right there. If you're going to an SSD, you want a fresh windows install and a fresh partition. If you image from an HDD the sector size isn't right, and it destroys an SSD's performance.

If you just added an SSD and installed SWTOR to it (and are running windows off of... whatever), that should be good too, but you'll need to move your paging file over to the SSD so you gain speed from that, instead of losing speed whenever anything hits the paging file.

I only have a small 60 gig SSD in my gaming comp so only have room for Windows and one game, that game used to be WoW, I ran this game in Beta and early realise from a 1TB SATA drive since I stopped playing WoW I put TOR on the SSD and saw a massive reduction in my load times.

Anybody who hasn’t seen a improvement either the bottleneck is elsewhere in there system or there is something wrong with your set up such as not running the drive in AHCI mode, chipset drivers not installed etc... Run a benchmark like ATTO or AS SSD to check the drive is running at the correct speed.

I only have a small 60 gig SSD in my gaming comp so only have room for Windows and one game, that game used to be WoW, I ran this game in Beta and early realise from a 1TB SATA drive since I stopped playing WoW I put TOR on the SSD and saw a massive reduction in my load times.

Anybody who hasn’t seen a improvement either the bottleneck is elsewhere in there system or there is something wrong with your set up such as not running the drive in AHCI mode, chipset drivers not installed etc... Run a benchmark like ATTO or AS SSD to check the drive is running at the correct speed.

+1 I agree 100% with this.

Please explain in full detail how its CPU based....

I experience slow load times periodically on my rig.

Rig Stats:

2600k OCed to 4.2

WD 1tb Black

8 gigs of Corsair vengeance

Nvidia 560ti super clocked

Windows 7 64 bit

- Not nothing is normally running but vent.

So please do tell how my CPU is the bottle neck

The game only uses 1 core.

I use a Maximus IV Extreme mobo with a UEFI BIOS and it had default OC parameters set for most Intel CPUs. Is fantastically easy to OC for people who don't fully understand the specifics of the BIOS settings (or who are just lazy like me).

Took me 2 clicks to go from the stock clock on my 2600k to 4.6.

Kind of off subject, but definitely an awesome feature.

Yea I have an MSI P67A-GD65 and it has a button to push that will give you 4.5. That said, I wanted to push the limits so I went into the BIOS to get that extra .2. I was getting some core errors at first so I went to the MSI forums and got some advice and now I have been running without errors at 4.7 for 6+ months.

The engine is horribly coded. I have an i7 at 4.1 ghz, SLI 580 gtx, and an SSD, but I still get 3-4 minute load times.

I run nearly the same as you (minus the SLI as that is extreme overkill) and my load times into game take less than 1 minute and zoning about 10-20 seconds at most.

I run a Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD.

Edited by Tamanous

I have 4 SATA 3 SSD's in a raid 0, and the load times have gotten worse with recent patches, but it's still below 15 seconds. I do alot of waiting for other people to zone load.

For the people who are saying that their SSD and HDD have the same load times, did you image from the HDD to the SSD? If you did, that's your problem right there. If you're going to an SSD, you want a fresh windows install and a fresh partition. If you image from an HDD the sector size isn't right, and it destroys an SSD's performance.

If you just added an SSD and installed SWTOR to it (and are running windows off of... whatever), that should be good too, but you'll need to move your paging file over to the SSD so you gain speed from that, instead of losing speed whenever anything hits the paging file.

Good tips. Here is an article on optimizing your SSD for everyone:

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Something is wrong with your setup if you're getting 3-4 minute load times. Seriously.

Agreed. I have a standard Office system, the only 'upgrade' was to remove the standard STI card and stick in a Nvideo GT430 card.

Game runs like a dream. Max loading is 30sec, but normally no more than 10 sec. I get a title bit of flicker in Fleet, but only on initial loadin and that goes within a few seconds.

All these people with Gamer systems are serious doing something wring I think.

Nope, it uses two.

Hero engine is not multi-threaded. You are seeing your hyperthreading. Quote from Wikipedia page about Hero engine:

"The engine is still single-threaded. However, it is planned for there to be a multi-threaded release, but the publish date has not yet been determined."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroEngine#cite_note-4

My longest load time is 15-20 seconds on my SSD. OCZ SATA III.

Hero engine is not multi-threaded. You are seeing your hyperthreading. Quote from Wikipedia page about Hero engine:

"The engine is still single-threaded. However, it is planned for there to be a multi-threaded release, but the publish date has not yet been determined."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroEngine#cite_note-4

My longest load time is 15-20 seconds on my SSD. OCZ SATA III.

Take a look at your task manager while SWTOR is running. There's a helper process.

That in no way means an application is multi-threaded. Besides, the second process has been talked about a lot on these forums.

Every process must have at least one thread in Windows. So even if they spawned no new threads, SWTOR has at least two threads.

So yes it does mean it is multi-threaded and also multi-process which is very odd for a game.

Actually both process use many threads, you can see what they are doing to some degree with a tool like process explorer.

Currently my two SWTOR.exe have 27 and 16 threads. By examining the stacks for the thread I can see both have a main thread doing the most work, but also both have as second thread doing a SendFilesToPlatformBugCatcher and a few in the main process using direct sound for playing audio.

It looks like the smaller second process is doing all the direct 3D calls, so it is the graphics renderer.

Again yes the game is heavily multithreaded.

Edited by Wakantanka

Got 2 x Crucial M4 256gb today one to replace my laptops 64gb and one for my desktop which had none.

I can honestly say the load times have increased dramatically compared to the 1 minute to 1:30 they where previously.

desktop is a I5 2500k @4.5ghz 8gb ram GTX 480 SOC and it loads hutta in around 5 seconds correlia in about 15

laptop I7 740QM 8GB ram GTX 460m hutta takes about 8 seconds and correlia about 20 secs

What I do notice on the laptop is there a profound pause at around 33% loaded and as soon as it kicks past that it flys, the desktop that same pause is noticable but it gets through it considerably quicker.

Edited by thamightyboro