Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

EA falls on broker concerns about 'Star Wars'

cutXthroat

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Electronic Arts Inc. fell nearly 3% to $17.75 on Thursday morning after an analyst with Brean Murray Carret & Co. cut his price target on the stock to $22 from $28, citing concerns about the recently released online multi-player game "Star Wars: The Old Republic." In a note to clients, analyst Todd Mitchell wrote that "creeping concerns" about the performance of "Star Wars" -- which was released in late December -- is causing him to trim his earnings estimates for the 2013 fiscal year. "Specifically, initial sales appear to be below expectations, and casual observation of early play is causing us to rethink our churn assumptions," Mitchell wrote.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Borrowed from http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-falls-on-broker-concerns-about-star-wars-2012-01-19?link=MW_home_latest_news

Edited by cutXthroat

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen this already. Never trust the opinion of a Stockbroker.

The company I work for posted a 3% increase in sales over christmas, which caused share prices to fall because the shareholders wanted 6%.

Despite this, the company is still set to post a profit of £4 billion this year, our highest yet. This should send share prices rocketing again. So I suggest waiting for EA's yearly profit announcement before assuming gloom and doom.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Shares of Electronic Arts Inc. fell nearly 3% to $17.75 on Thursday morning after an analyst with Brean Murray Carret & Co. cut his price target on the stock to $22 from $28, citing concerns about the recently released online multi-player game "Star Wars: The Old Republic." In a note to clients, analyst Todd Mitchell wrote that "creeping concerns" about the performance of "Star Wars" -- which was released in late December -- is causing him to trim his earnings estimates for the 2013 fiscal year. "Specifically, initial sales appear to be below expectations, and casual observation of early play is causing us to rethink our churn assumptions," Mitchell wrote.

Borrowed from http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-falls-on-broker-concerns-about-star-wars-2012-01-19?link=MW_home_latest_news

Because analysts are always right...

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/12/27/8-Outrageously-Flawed-Economic-Predictions.aspx#page1

The company I work for posted a 3% increase in sales over christmas, which caused share prices to fall because the shareholders wanted 6%.

Despite this, the company is still set to post a profit of £4 billion this year, our highest yet. This should send share prices rocketing again. So I suggest waiting for EA's yearly profit announcement before assuming gloom and doom.

This isn't a normal market. Software lives and dies on the opinions of people and users. Your ideas about stock valuation does not apply here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ao?s=EA+Analyst+Opinion

Solid stock according to composite of analysts, and consistent as well from an analyst stand point.

People just using one analysts revised price estimate as a reason to rant, raid, and pillage the forum

I assumed you were trolling but the website seems legit. Wow. Just Wow. Maybe they will get serious about fixing bugs now.

No, depends on their confidence.

If its low, then they will go into dmg management. Ie: Spend as little as possible whilst maximising returns but without committing any more resources to the product.

If its high, then they spend money on it as it will grow and return money.

Facts dont really matter, its all the confidence of their investors and stockholders.

Solid stock according to composite of analysts, and consistent as well from an analyst stand point.

People just using one analysts revised price estimate as a reason to rant, raid, and pillage the forum

actually that site puts it as a slightly (verrrryy slightly) positive option, but not moving. Certainally not a "strong to buy" at all.

Still with a -4% value though.

Edited by Cameirus

Well...at least this thread isn't about any of the following:

I quit and here's why.

I'm a guy playing a girl toon...when can my girl toon kiss another girl toon?

This robe makes my Jedi butt look big.

Why are all women so well endowed in the Star Wars universe?

Chairs: Why can't we sit in any except on our ship?

I played WoW...here's what I think about [insert any subject here]

Damage meters, Addons, Macros, and why this game will fail without them

So I approve of it even though I don't really care what a stock analyst thinks of anything, including stocks most of the time.

Edited by racsofp

Yeah, except his clients do. And his clients are investors that by injecting money, keep products flowing.

The thing is, rating agencies DO care, investors DO care and guess what, EA aint gonna be loosing money in products for too long - as in giving up on Warhammer Online 3 months after the launch.

There arent many things as important to a corporation as market value. Actually, these news may be the best news this game as seen in a while, or the worst. The ball is on Bioware.

Activision Blizzard took a nosedive too.

This has nothing to do with Star Wars but with the economy itself. People are less keen to invest in entertainment during recession.

Apart from that 85million Trion just got you mean? Following their 100milliion revenues over 10months.

Just saying...the money is there but people are being more careful where they put it now.

Oh pfffft. Stockbrokers are the weathermen of Wall Street. 'Oh look, a rainbow....I'm gonna tell all my clients to dump Microsoft today,'. That's how they do their job. Nothing to see here. Edited by rlhaas

Actually that isn't good at all. Analysts tend to avoid placing 'Sell' ratings on stocks so they use 'Hold' instead. When you have a stock with as many Buys as Holds/Sells that is not a good sign. Many investors screen for a large ratio of Buys to Holds before they will even consider it.

actually that site puts it as a slightly (verrrryy slightly) positive option, but not moving. Certainally not a "strong to buy" at all.

Still with a -4% value though.

I did not say it was strong buy. I said it was solid and consistent in the context of analyst rakings. It's "mean" is right in the middle range of buy/sell and has been for some time.

Daily twitches on stock price mean zip, except as a banner for a forum ranter and game hater.

Activision Blizzard took a nosedive too.

This has nothing to do with Star Wars but with the economy itself. People are less keen to invest in entertainment during recession.

Uh, you realize that the entertainment industry actually thrived in this recession, right? It was a huge topic amongst economists from 2008 onwards.

But that's how it works...

But beyond that, EA released this game at a time where we'll get early subs in their financials. With lots of people having their 'free month' and a two or three month game card in the system, they'll still be fine for the fiscal year ending.

More interesting will be their second and third quarter reports. That'll tell us a lot, lot more than this year's ending.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.