Swtor performance vs a game 4 years old.

Barracudastr

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, did you play Aion when it came out?

You literally could not move when at a siege in the Abyss. They had put in a feature that would turn off all of the characters except for the nameplates just to make it playable.

Didn't matter what type of rig you had, this happened to everyone. And the above poster is correct. Don't try comparisons that aren't valid.

Don't respond to the snowflakes.

These people actually think this is the first time anyone has every tried to say "X game from three years ago with worse graphics is better than Y game that was released this year."

You're just wasting your time. Snowflakes don't care about logic, evidence, or reality, they just think their thoughts and opinions are worth being heard.

Attention-whoring: it gives the insignificant one half-decent memory before suicide.

Wow.

Apparently you kids have never heard the phrase "Apples and oranges."

As in, these are two different games at different stages of development. How about you post some footage from when WoW was one month old?

Oh, that's right, because that might make for a fair comparison.

what is fair about 8 years of technology advancements

Regardless of all the other points on this thread. (e.g. low polygon counts, weak textures, no/ minimal spell effects). The one thing no one points out is that if you watch later into the video there are no character models showing. Literally just floating nameplates to keep the framerate up I guess. If SWTOR used that as a FR fix imagine the uproar... I have also seen videos of Aion with black character models (no textures) when there are tons of players on screen.

Okay, let's take another game then! RIFT! Much better graphics than SWTOR and a fairly new game as well. Yet that game runs a LOT better with 50 people on screen than SWTOR does with half that.

Don't get me wrong. SWTOR is a great game to me and I've loved playing it so far. But there is NO denying that the engine is indeed very, VERY poorly optimized.

Regardless of all the other points on this thread. (e.g. low polygon counts, weak textures, no/ minimal spell effects). The one thing no one points out is that if you watch later into the video there are no character models showing. Literally just floating nameplates to keep the framerate up I guess. If SWTOR used that as a FR fix imagine the uproar... I have also seen videos of Aion with black character models (no textures) when there are tons of players on screen.

Thats a setting you can use for LOD if it sees your system slow down it will reduce textures to nothing so your system can still handle the massive number of players by getting rid of their textures.

You can turn it off.

And for the turning models off is again another feature that you turn on/off on the fly shift+F12 turns models on/off in game for heavy seiging if your system cant handle it.

At the beginning of the video he had everything enabled no lag with hundreds on his screen he turn everyone off because with hundreds of player models running around it makes it very hard to target enemy players, so you remove friendly models to select and control pvp better. So you can actually see who your fighting not just a cluster of people humping a single mob or enemy pc :). He didn't turn them off because he would have lagged he did it to focus his pvp better :).

what is fair about 8 years of technology advancements

You're right, if a company wants to make a new FPS, because of all the modern technology ITS EASY. They can just ... uh... steal Crysis and use that to start with?

That doesn't make any sense. The technological advancements make it HARDER. They make it take LONGER to develop.

Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat and games like that were programmed by a small team of like 3 programmers.

Modern videogames have upwards of 40+ programmers and hundreds of people employed as artists, animation, production, writing, etc.

You're trying to say somehow, all the technology makes it easy? You're not thinking this through at all. The advanced technology means THERE IS MORE TO BE DONE, not LESS.

Okay, let's take another game then! RIFT! Much better graphics than SWTOR and a fairly new game as well. Yet that game runs a LOT better with 50 people on screen than SWTOR does with half that.

Don't get me wrong. SWTOR is a great game to me and I've loved playing it so far. But there is NO denying that the engine is indeed very, VERY poorly optimized.

game runs beautifully on maximum settings (and boy do they have a lot of gfx options to sift through :cool: )

You're right, if a company wants to make a new FPS, because of all the modern technology ITS EASY. They can just ... uh... steal Crysis and use that to start with?

That doesn't make any sense. The technological advancements make it HARDER. They make it take LONGER to develop.

Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat and games like that were programmed by a small team of like 3 programmers.

Modern videogames have upwards of 40+ programmers and hundreds of people employed as artists, animation, production, writing, etc.

You're trying to say somehow, all the technology makes it easy? You're not thinking this through at all. The advanced technology means THERE IS MORE TO BE DONE, not LESS.

Just because things are more complex doesn't necessarily make them harder.

Most basis code now days is logged everytime someone comes up with something, and usually makes its way to the internet.

As well as most programs are now so user interface friendly that you can drag and drop whatever you want and it creates the code for you, take Silverlight for example.

Edited by mcfabulous

Thats not true at all and shows how little you know.

The engine developers are not only advancing their technology but making their tools to use the tech easier and more streamlined then before.

Go do a little research and get back to me.

As in, these are two different games at different stages of development. How about you post some footage from when WoW was one month old?

When servers weren't crashing, I had better performance in Hillsbrad zerg PvP than in either WAR or SWTOR.

When I wasn't crashing to desktop or hitting a BSoD, AoC ran better than SWTOR.

I'm just sick of developers targeting high quality graphics, falling short completely, but still having too much of the engine tuned to those graphics, with few options to disable all this graphical ******** I don't need in an MMO in the first place.

Edited by Ansultares

i think the second poster pretty much hit the nail on the head.

one game is not another.

one computer is not another

one game 1 month old. is not a game. months/years old

one old game. is not one new game

doesn't explain or excuse anything. but doesn't bolster an argument against swtor in the least

It pretty much does, Aion performed like this from the start. So when you have the same PC, different games; 1 runs fine while having a higher detail of graphics, the other runs like crap, where is the problem?

Wow.

Oh, that's right, because that might make for a fair comparison.

You whinge about apples-to-oranges comparisons, and then want to compare a game released in 2012 with a game released in 2004? Really? That's logic to you?

You know what, you're right. It doesn't bother me that TOR can't handle 20v20 because back in the day, Pong could barely handle 1 v 1.

Edited by Mannic

I get what OP is getting at, i have played aion. I love this game, but the game is a mess anyone saying otherwise is just fooling themselves. This game runs like crap worst running mmo i have ever played period, and Ive played alot sure many others have had worse launches, but this game idk.

I get what OP is getting at, i have played aion. I love this game, but the game is a mess anyone saying otherwise is just fooling themselves. This game runs like crap worst running mmo i have ever played period, and Ive played alot sure many others have had worse launches, but this game idk.

90 fps all the time, including the fleet. Upgrade your 386.

http://www.twitch.tv/skrigg#

Note his lag.

Then watch this video with I would say about 3x more people.

Enjoy.

This demonstrates a real lack of intelligence. I'm sorry, but it just does. I really hope you're 12 years old or something.

Different computers. Different games. Different everything. Your comparison means absolutely nothing.

Edited by PibbyPib

Yes a game that you can run on a 20 year old toaster that looks like dog poop has better FPS. LOL @ the people that think it looks better, upgrade your 386, hilarious.

The only thing hilarious about your response is that you think Aion's graphics aren't way more sophisticated than TOR's. You understand this, right? Aion's graphics are about 2-3 years advanced of TOR's. Deny it all you want. TOR didn't even release with functioning AA and is limited to 8xAF. It's a DX9 engine. High quality shadows kill framerates. And the graphics are far worse than Aion's in texture quality, lighting effects, and shader quality. Aion is built on the Crysis engine. There's no measureable way in which TOR is better than Aion graphically. I don't like the art-style in Aion either, but the game is pushing more polygons, making better use of the graphics card, and is WORLDS more stable in large-scale PvP.

But keep standing on the defense that a game with less sophisticated graphics somehow has more sophisticated graphics because it released in 2012.

Edited by Mannic

The only thing hilarious about your response is that you think Aion's graphics aren't way more sophisticated than TOR's. You understand this, right? Aion's graphics are about 2-3 years advanced of TOR's. Deny it all you want. TOR didn't even release with functioning AA and is limited to 8xAF. High quality shadows kill framerates. And the graphics are far worse than Aion's in texture quality, lighting effects, and shader quality.

But keep standing on the defense that a game with less sophisticated graphics somehow has more sophisticated graphics because it released in 2012.

Yup. If I wouldn't know the truth, I'd think that TOR is like 4 years older than Aion.