Full Auto and Mortar Volley STILL HORRIBLY BUGGED

Fryseboks

I leveled a vanguard to 50.

I leveled a commando to 25.

I leveled a mercenary to 27.

I'm now back on my commando.

Very important to fix, BioWare!

-Mortar Volley is not instant casting! The animation shows placing the mortar then 1, 2... skill starts.

-Death from Above is almost instant! Jetpack in the air... skill starts.

-Full Auto has a delay before casting! Plus, damage ticks are off and sometimes when I get hit, the attacks interrupts!

-Unload is almost instant! Syncronized damage ticks but I also get the same interruptions.

Edited by Thekze

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rolled a PT, since the republic are dying on many servers (population wise) and wanted to try PT (vang). I can state that death from above has saved 3 nodes (twice there were 4+ people capping it and some close to end) from capture in the last 4 warzones I played. This was rarely the case for mortar volley. Edited by shadowAI

i'm so close to say screw it and go back to imperial side on my 50 Merc BH

because the Gunnery Commando is atm unintended nerfed to become useless in pvp to stop ppl from capping points with mortar volley and finishing running ppl off with full auto(hits 1 times less no matter what unless you get that 1 out of 10 times full auto actually works with doing 3 ticks

i'm so close to say screw it and go back to imperial side on my 50 Merc BH

because the Gunnery Commando is atm unintended nerfed to become useless in pvp to stop ppl from capping points with mortar volley and finishing running ppl off with full auto(hits 1 times less no matter what unless you get that 1 out of 10 times full auto actually works with doing 3 ticks

Another thing I noticed. I can usually get most of unload off, while if a mob even looks in the direction of my commando it will probably be 2 ticks of auto :) (okay slight exaggeration).

Maybe its *gasp* a situational ability?

How productive. Clipping my post to make it seem like all I did was complain renders your reference impossible to understand, not to mention making your post completely worthless. If you're going to poke fun at someones post, at least show what you're attempting to mock in the first place? Even I can't fathom what your failed try at disproving my post(s) was aimed at, and I was the one to post it to begin with.

Arguably, every ability is situational, so what are you trying to say? EX:

-I use Hammer Shot when I'm low on ammo.

-I use Concussive Round to sap a target that my group wants to eliminate at a later time OR for an extended stun to escape.

-I use Concussive Charge when I need to knock targets away from me or into a hazard.

-I cast Mortar Volley to deal damage to enemies who are grouped up, BUT WAIT! IF they see me targeting the ground below them they'll just move, because in its current state, it takes several centuries(i.e. 2 seconds) for the first shot to hit, giving anyone and everyone ample time to get out of the way.

That list goes on and on. Unless you give examples, what do your posts contribute? Learn to elaborate and maybe your input will have some form of value.

In the future, if you can't contribute in a positive manner don't post at all please.

Edited by Grimoir

As a BH I can speak to the fact that unload DOES NOT immediately deploy. Sometimes I have to hit the button 3 times (and its off GCD the entire time) before it goes off, further more, the animation frequently lags behind, and sometimes I get the channel bar, but nothing actually happens. The ability remains unused, but due to the aforementioned slowness of the animation I lose at least as long as it takes me to realize that the cast bar is doing nothing.

While I appreciate your response what you are describing here is another issue entirely and something that we, as troopers, have to deal with as a sideline to the major problem.

UI and animation bugs happen on both sides of the war but we are dealing with both.. if the skill "decides" to behave and go off as planned we still have animation lag and pushback to deal with on top of the issues you face. If you spent 5 seconds using the mortar volley ability in any setting (pve or pvp) you would immediately see the problem. Again - This is not about unresponsive abilities, this is about the built in delay on our abilities which your class simply does not need to deal with.

I'm not sure what part of this is too hard for these gentlemen to understand.

Let me try to break it down:

WE... HAVE... THE... SAME... PROBLEMS... AS... YOU.... AS.... WELL.... AS... DELAY... ON... MORTAR.... EVERY... SINGLE.... TIME....

How else is this supposed to come out? The issue we are talking about here is not UI bug, skill bug or casting problems. The issue is occurs AS WELL as that, 100% of the time, every single time we use the ability. It has a "built in" delay which BH DOES NOT HAVE.

When you try to cast DFA and it doesn't fire, or there is a lag between button push and animation we are having the EXACT same problem... AND THEN we get the 2sec built in delay on top of that, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Is this not clear? How are some people still not understanding the issue?

Edited by Fight

The problem with full auto is that it's not synched with the cast properly meaning its allready pushedback far enough to lose a tick.

Unload is properly synched and such can take abit of pushback before dropping a tick, this is a big problem.

And now for a visualization.

Imagine (1) is your cast bar. and (2) is how full auto is synched. They should be equal.

(1)----------

(2).....----------

As you can see it starts outside, now this is approximately how it works.

----------

The green section, is the dmg part while the blue is the start and end "buffer" (note might just be a buffer at the end). Full auto is so delayed the buffer is useless and any dmg taken. EVEN WITH TALENTS! Makes you lose a full tick. While almost all other (afaik) channeled abilities with available pushback talents in the game has a working buffer, Meaning you can get hit a few times, and if you are lucky and still get the full cast off.

Edited by Lynkilen

Unload also loses a tick of damage at least (at level 12 on my mercenary) from a single hit before having the talent to reduce pushback. They are not nearly as different as people think. It looks a lot different due to the animation not shooting for a second, but the damage is delayed by the same amount.

You described the issue yourself here:

"Unload also loses a tick of damage at least from a single hit before having the talent to reduce pushback"

When we put 3 points into the talent to reduce 75% of pushback NOTHING HAPPENS. We still lose one tick, every single time, 100% of the time. If we are hit for 3 damage or 3k damage the last tick is ALWAYS lost, regardless of talents. This makes the 3 points spent (which are mandatory really to get up the tier) completely useless.

Is that clear?

I don't think some of the BHs posting here have played a Trooper extensively. I've got a max lvl of each, and I can tell you that there is definitely a difference. When I go back to my BH it's so much more fluid and responsive.

That's just overall "feel" of play. In pvp my Trooper is at a pretty significant disadvantage with the stock strike and mortar volley issues. As compared to the BH of course. I watch as people are totally out of my Trooper aoe before it even starts...

The problem is that the damage is done while being channeled, instead of every other channel ability (sorcs for example) that the damage is done after the channel is completed. They need to make all channeled abilities the same, the damage and effect is done after a successful channel. This means the cd will function properly only if the damage is successful, pushback will function uniformly, and interrupt will be worthwhile since it can negate all damage instead of just remaining damage.

The way it is now, full auto/mortar volley/hail of bolts, are essentially an instant cast ability with a chance to do two additional attacks if uninterrupted.

I would much prefer having to channel for 3 seconds, that guarantees full damage, than the current channel.

I frequently pvp on both BH and Trooper. Same spec (pyro/assault) on both. I can't speak about the OPs take on Full Auto in comparison to Unload. Both abilities seem to work exactly the same to me.

Mortar Volley vs. Death From Above is a different story though.

Even if they make Mortar Volley start shooting immediately instead of what we currently have it will be inferior to Death From Above because of the arced mortar graphic vs. the straight line missile shot. I don't think they will ever 'mirror' each other.

One way I think they could bring Mortar Volley into line would be to make it start shooting as soon as you click the target circle down on the ground AND to make the rounds shoot at a higher rate of speed. The graphic design of the of the two abilities does not mirror so to make them the same the channel duration for the trooper should be shorter thus synchronizing the Time of Fire vs. the Time on Target damage effects when comparing the two ACs.

Despite Mortar Volley my Trooper is hands down my favorite toon.

Edit: couple weeks down the road and Mortar Volley tradjectory seems flatter. Love how responsive the team is. Thank you.

Edited by Exartess

Why this issue is one of the more frustrating in all the MMO's I've played:

1. People outright deny it having no experience with it.

2. Troopers who dont use it beyond lobbing MV into a pack of stationary, solo, standard strength mobs saying it's totally awesome dude! l2p lol!

3. The whole "well we fly in the air it's the same thing!" argument by BH's who havent bothered to look at MV let alone play it.

4. The fact that this is a completely obviously broken ability and has been since beta.

5. The fact that FA is a staple ability that is also broken and has been since beta.

I can deal with the fact that this game has a lot of issues and this might be a bit lower on the list. Waiting on the devs while dealing with the player ignorance and people playing your class actively fighting you on the issue, on top of having your abilities not work is a bit much though.

The problem is that the damage is done while being channeled, instead of every other channel ability (sorcs for example) that the damage is done after the channel is completed. They need to make all channeled abilities the same, the damage and effect is done after a successful channel. This means the cd will function properly only if the damage is successful, pushback will function uniformly, and interrupt will be worthwhile since it can negate all damage instead of just remaining damage.

The way it is now, full auto/mortar volley/hail of bolts, are essentially an instant cast ability with a chance to do two additional attacks if uninterrupted.

I would much prefer having to channel for 3 seconds, that guarantees full damage, than the current channel.

think you miss the point of a CHANNELED ability

Channeled: the intendet purpose is done without any delay over the time the skill is channeled

the without any delay is BW's Problem atm and alot of classes especially Trooper suffers under it as the animation has priority over the actual skill....id say they should hotfix it to have no animation until they can get it fixed so that the animation doesnt delay the dmg/cut off the dmg in full auto's case

I read someone mentioning there is a difference between tracer missile and grav round, in which grav round is easier to LOS.

Any truth to this one, snce its the only one I cannot test (got PT and commando). However if it is true I might have to roll a merc, since that would make them superior to my commando in every possible way.

Im not sure if you are just hard headed or thick.

BH attacks are 100% IDENTICAL to trooper attacks in everything but name and animation. Unload = Full Auto - Explosive Dart = Sticky Grenade - Rail Shot = High Impact Bolt - Rocket Punch = Stock Strike - Death From Above = Mortar Volley - Tracer Missile = Grav Round.

Please dont think you are the only class with issues. We have the same problem. When unload is cast it does nothing sometimes, and when attacked the cast bar drops by about 10% per hit. Its a channeled ability, inquisitors have the same problem with Force lightning, and consulars have it with telekinetic throw.

All of these are "channeled", all of these abilities are on a cooldown so not spammable, and ALL of them lose some time off the cast when taking damage during it.

And yes, BH have to wait on occasion for the damage of Death from above to actually start ticking too... please dont think you are the only players who have issues.

I have both a merc and a vanguard of 47 and 40 lvl respectively, and I can say for sure there is only the slight up fly animation delay on the death from above vs the long cast start to mortar. Also the missle speed animation is faster for BH on this attack. Many targets have time to move out since the symbol shows up on ground far before the dmg.

Flamethrower works instantly but there is animation delay getting the trooper in stance for plasma cannon channel.

Unload vs Full Auto.. slightly more delay starting for trooper again b/c of animation.

I would not call these quality of life changes for PVP, no big deal for PVE. But unbalanced on the PVP side.

On a BH side... I thought flying up would be an advantage in PVP, but that animation is a red flag for getting your cast screwed up. As a trooper most of my mortar volleys get to finish completely.

Earth to the official SWTOR people... where's the reponse to this issue which has been brought up throughout numerous threads?

Give us an idea! Is this actually the way the class' abilities were intended to be executed during play? Or are you "working" on it?

Is this a bug we are seeing or can any of you legit Swtor people please tell us why the obvious, blatant crippling that has been done to the trooper class when compared to it's mirror class, the BH?

ANSWERS, PLEASE!

Game has been out for over a month now... honestly, shame on you for not even a mention as far as I have seen on the official forum.

still no fixes to these animation/timing issues?

:(

then again they probably have a lot on their plate given that they seem consistently incapable of getting WZ wins to count towards dailies...

and 20v20 fights on ilum reward all players with sub 5fps no matter their pc specs...

Not comparing to other classes or pvp..

I feel a bit stupid everytime im pulling with mortar volley, i can feel the rest of the group just waiting for me.. *** is he doing WAKE UP and a while after my shells lands

Not comparing to other classes or pvp..

I feel a bit stupid everytime im pulling with mortar volley, i can feel the rest of the group just waiting for me.. *** is he doing WAKE UP and a while after my shells lands

Watching your three shells drop on the empty floor where the enemy was 5 seconds ago... priceless

Watching your three shells drop on the empty floor where the enemy was 5 seconds ago... priceless

*Trooper begins activating Mortar Volley*

Mob #1 - "Lol, the retard is going to launch Mortar Volley at us..."

Mob #2 - "Shh, don't look and pretend you didn't notice."

*Mortar Volley fires*

Mob #3 - "Let's walk away casually..."

*Mortar Volley hits empty space*

*Trooper's forehead vein bursts out*

Edited by Nurvus

Add me to the list. I am tired of losing DPS due to these issues. Most of the time I lose 1 if not 2 ticks of the mortar volley, same with Full Auto. Hail of bolts is the only one I don't have AS MANY problems with, too bad I dont use it much.