"Melee" class that can't use melee weapons.

ujiomizuko

Yeah, I know, we use the butt of our pistol to damage, or sucker punch, yet I don't understand why as a melee class, it logically doesn't make sense that we can't or rather "won't" use say, a vibrosword, or a staff, instead of a pistol.

There are so many different types of weapons, and yet each class is very much restricted in what they can and cannot use, I don't understand why each class cannot simply just spec into a weapon of their choosing.. It would add a lot more diversity than the cookie cutter "all smugglers must use a pistol and a shotgun, or dual pistols as a slinger"

More often than not I will always find gear that I cannot use, nor can my companions use, makes no sense really.. Would be nice to have another set of talent skill points for weapon trees, or even just allow one to "purchase" the ability to use another type of weapon, I don't see how it would be overpowered one bit.

The only hitch I can see with this would be class specific skills such as back blast. I guess if one were to use back blast while having a vibro sword equipped, it wouldn't make sense to call it a "blast" if it's a stab or slash, but I could really care less about the name of an ability if it still does the same thing its intended to do.

TL;DR: If I'm going to be a "melee" class, at least give me the option of equipping a melee weapon.. Limitations lead to dead end roads.

And this is a little off topic, but on the subject of weapons, why in the f*** are most of the shotguns found fitted with aim, and not cunning?? Sniper rifles with aim and not cunning? Who can use that crap?

Edited by ujiomizuko

Because hitting **** with our pistols is awesome, and using vibroblades and the like isn't as cool.

I'm a space cowboy, not a space samurai.

Valid point, though not everyone feels the same. And in hindsight I also realize that some people DO like to be cowboys, but having the option to do so is better than being cookie cutter 100% of the time. Diversity never hurt anyone.

Edited by ujiomizuko

Valid point, though not everyone feels the same. And in hindsight I also realize that some people DO like to be cowboys, but having the option to do so is better than being cookie cutter 100% of the time. Diversity never hurt anyone.

Tell that to the south.

And yes, I suppose it wouldn't hurt since 99% of people have named their characters after anime characters or naruto references... then again, there are classes that already use swords. They are called Jedi. We'd be cramping their style like a period.

Tell that to the south.

And yes, I suppose it wouldn't hurt since 99% of people have named their characters after anime characters or naruto references... then again, there are classes that already use swords. They are called Jedi. We'd be cramping their style like a period.

LMFAO! I actually name grabbed Naruto on my server :|... Not a smuggy, but I digress. Though, it would be nice to have a melee class that isn't forced to use a light saber, after all, the mandolorians and teras kasi masters were able to compete with jedi in this time period, yeah?

I do understand what you're saying and get what you're asking for, but this is a nice change of pace. You can play a sword wielding hero melee type in any MMO; in this one I can beat dudes with my gun. Like a mobster, right? Shakin a dude down for money, the guns there, but im not gonna shoot you. I'm gonna bust your face open with it and threaten your family. Then kick you in the balls.

Oh yes of course, I love it as much as the next, it just feels cookie cutter after a while. I mean, it's kind of stupid coming across gear you constantly can't use, for no reason other than the fact that they wanted to be lazy and restrict it to 1 weapon type per class. Edited by Paralassa
content

No thanks. Punching, kicking and pistol whippin' is why I love my Smuggler. I don't want a sword or a staff. I'm a rough n tumble catina fighter, who learned how to fight from growing up on the streets, not some expert martial artist.

I went deep into the sawbones tree so I don't have to get into melee range. I like the mechanics of the scoundrel but I HATE the combat attacks.

No sane person pistol whips someone unless

- He's trying to avoid lethal combat

- He's out of ammo

- He' trying to be quiet

Watching my scoundrel charge into melee and whip and kick while holding a fully functionional blaster and hiding a loaded shotgun, just makes me wonder if she's mentally "special" or something. Ooooh blasters too confusing, me smash stuupid Jedi.

Now I can sit back and heal while occasionaly using my ranged weapon at range.

Ironically I'm also leveling a Sage who draws a light saber she never uses (and would get whooped if she ever tried to).

:jawa_confused:

I went deep into the sawbones tree so I don't have to get into melee range. I like the mechanics of the scoundrel but I HATE the combat attacks.

- He's out of ammo

- He' trying to be quiet

Watching my scoundrel charge into melee and whip and kick while holding a fully functionional blaster and hiding a loaded shotgun, just makes me wonder if she's mentally "special" or something. Ooooh blasters too confusing, me smash stuupid Jedi.

Ironically I'm also leveling a Sage who draws a light saber she never uses (and would get whooped if she ever tried to).

^ Exactly what I was getting at.. I never understood it either.

I think you're all missing the point. He wants the option to use a different style of weapon. He's not implying everyone should have to use melee, but having the choice is better than not having the choice. It's cool, you want to be space cowboy, that's your prerogative. I would like more choices. Edited by galrogyab

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The scoundrel is a walking bag of tricks and uses everything at his/her disposal to win. Does everything make 100% sense all the time? No, and it doesn't for other classes either. And why should you care if the class is meant to be a melee class or not. It works best in melee range, why should it matter so much that you're not swinging a battleaxe?

I find it far more interesting the way it is than with a standard melee class. The only improvement I really want is to be able to see your scattergun equipped. Would look cool and make a lot of sense.

If you want, you could also try an operative. Once you hit a certain level, you're mainly looking at your vibroknife. Shiv and lacerate are vibroknife attacks, whereas blaster whip and sucker punch are not scattergun attacks. So the operative uses his/her "secondary" weapon a lot more in animations.

PS: The sage who has a lightsaber but can't use it very well seems much less satisfying to me. Scoundrels actually use all their weapons.

Edited by thecoffeecup

- He's out of ammo

- He' trying to be quiet

Yeah, I feel BioWare made some conceptual mistakes when it came to who-gets-what weapons and how they use them (another example being Vanguard Shield spec and the over-emphasis on Stock Strike). I can only assume Scoundrels panic when someone doesn't die after being shotgunned square in the back at pointblank range, and lash out in reflex.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. The scoundrel is a walking bag of tricks and uses everything at his/her disposal to win. Does everything make 100% sense all the time? No, and it doesn't for other classes either. And why should you care if the class is meant to be a melee class or not. It works best in melee range, why should it matter so much that you're not swinging a battleaxe?

For gun wielding classes, IMO, the primary damage attacks should all be at 10m range minimum, and stuns/interrupts would be the abilities that require you to step into melee range. So I guess I'd put Blaster Whip on a longer timer and make it a stun or interrupt, maybe turn Dirty Kick into a knock down (or "fall down", as anyone who's been on the receiving end can attest to), and replace the original Whip with a shotgun blast (yes, I like the whole shot/scatter gun idea :) )

I enjoy getting up close and personal so I can't say I agree with that. Instead of a huge misunderstanding, I just see a scrapper scoundrel as a typical rogue type but with an unusual style that to me seems pretty fun.

Gunslinger is ranged if that's what you want, but I suppose I can understand why it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I personally couldn't stand the whole cover concept.

- He's out of ammo

- He' trying to be quiet

You are doing it wrong then...

You run in blaster blazing (standard attack)

once you get close enough you kick em in the nuts (dirty kick)

you take your blaster and slap him across the face (blaster whip)

you see him stagering so you take your other fist and slams it into him (sucker punch)

and then you start running to the next mob while finishing him off with the blaster (standard attack)

You just need get some coordination going and you can create nice fights :p

- He's out of ammo

- He' trying to be quiet

Without trying to sound like a jerk, are you sure it's irony? It seems that's the second class you've chosen for all the wrong reasons...

Nothing beats a punch to the face, a kick in the groin and a Shotgun blast in the back. Scoundrels are REAL man with steel balls that smash heads with a pistol whip.

Glowsticks are for kids

Edited by Rezoh

The way this post translates to me... "Okay so in total there are 7 specific classes that use melee weapons in melee range, the one I chose doesn't use any melee weapons, therefore they should have melee weapons".

Standard...

The way this post translates to me... "Okay, I read the title of the thread, and decided to just post a reply without reading any of it's contents, therefore I have a bigoted opinion".

I guess some people don't prefer having options and flexibility.

Standard..