Expanding Class Storylines

DarthReveng

Does anyone else hope (or has anyone heard ) that they will eventually release an expansion which will carry on the class storylines. I found with the endings to the Agent, Warrior and Inquisitor that their is a lot more potential for future story development that could carry you past level 50. This would include new chapters to the story, new planets, possibly new companions, new powers, basically rather then a patch a full blown expansion.

I know it is still very early on and I still have many more classes to play, flashpoints the explore, but I can't help but invision the potential for the expansion of the storyline for each class. In general TOR as it exists now strikes me as almost a prologue, it introduces the characters, sets the stage. It seems a general theme is that war is about the blow up on a total scale between the Empire and the Republic, and its seems the storylines as they exist now set that up. What will happen to our characters once war restarts.

I also think there is potential for new classes, maybe new specializations etc.

Bioware is trying the change the nature of mmo's by adding the story element, which has been amazing, but the real test of an mmo is longevity. While adding more pvp, flashpoints, and minor content keeps it interesting, given their emphasis on story I believe they will eventually have to do an expanion on the storylines of each of the classes to carry the story forward. If they can do that, they will have a loyal customer in me for many years to come.

Love to hear other opinions about this.

Does anyone else hope (or has anyone heard ) that they will eventually release an expansion which will carry on the class storylines.

I suspect they will but as a for-pay expansion and I would caution you to be patient as adding in 8 unique quest lines will full VO acting is a long and expensive process.

More than likely the new quest lines will be faction-neutral and available to all classes. It's the most ecomomically viable way to go forward.

Of course, this begs the question, in an MMO who's main focus is story, what happens when everyone's played it out? the answer to that question will determine SW:TOR's future.

Does anyone else hope (or has anyone heard ) that they will eventually release an expansion which will carry on the class storylines. I found with the endings to the Agent, Warrior and Inquisitor that their is a lot more potential for future story development that could carry you past level 50. This would include new chapters to the story, new planets, possibly new companions, new powers, basically rather then a patch a full blown expansion.

I know it is still very early on and I still have many more classes to play, flashpoints the explore, but I can't help but invision the potential for the expansion of the storyline for each class. In general TOR as it exists now strikes me as almost a prologue, it introduces the characters, sets the stage. It seems a general theme is that war is about the blow up on a total scale between the Empire and the Republic, and its seems the storylines as they exist now set that up. What will happen to our characters once war restarts.

I also think there is potential for new classes, maybe new specializations etc.

Bioware is trying the change the nature of mmo's by adding the story element, which has been amazing, but the real test of an mmo is longevity. While adding more pvp, flashpoints, and minor content keeps it interesting, given their emphasis on story I believe they will eventually have to do an expanion on the storylines of each of the classes to carry the story forward. If they can do that, they will have a loyal customer in me for many years to come.

Love to hear other opinions about this.

Of course they will expand on the storylines...what we are currently playing is ACT 1...chapters 1-3. You can bet they will be keeping up with smaller regular content expansions such as the flashpoints and operations...and make the expansions of the storylines paid expansions.

I know that new specializations (normally called advanced classes) have already been thought about...I think it was the quest that leads to you picking your AC for Imperial Agent that specifically mentions there are a bunch of specializations but that you qualify only for those two (Operative and Sniper).

They've built this game upon their awesome story....only way to keep people who came for the story interested is by offering more of it.

My biggest question will be: how long will the chapters be? and will we see smaller class stories between x-pacs.

Its going to be interesting to see how much bioware can do and how good it will be, for me thats going to be key, since im not really into the end game content.

I suspect they will but as a for-pay expansion and I would caution you to be patient as adding in 8 unique quest lines will full VO acting is a long and expensive process.

More than likely the new quest lines will be faction-neutral and available to all classes. It's the most ecomomically viable way to go forward.

Of course, this begs the question, in an MMO who's main focus is story, what happens when everyone's played it out? the answer to that question will determine SW:TOR's future.

This I sincerely doubt. The entire focus of story in this game is class specific. Why would they abandon that in the future? No, they will most definitely be adding more class specific story in the future, assuming they add any new story at all. Neutral story may be the economic solution, but that is not something that I can see BioWare doing.

Edited by Kuruzen

BW has stated they are keeping a whole team of voice actors either employed or under contract specifically for all future content.

this implies that aside from fully fleshed out instances (like the new rakghoul thing) that much more expansive content will be forth comming over time.

I was wondering the same thing with regard to the storylines dealing with each class. I haven't paid much attention to what Bioware plans to do with the class storylines but it was a general concern of mine. Its nice to see that some people did clear it up. I would be somewhat upset if they went the route of ditching the class story idea, and just add a ton of side quests.

I don't remember the exact article, but someone stated that as of now Bioware is recording voice dialogue that won't be heard for at least another year. Time frame sounds about right for an expansion. And considering that the loading screen post-main story says "INTERLUDE", I'm pretty sure there will be more story

If you take BioWare's Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age II, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 as examples of how BioWare continue the the story beyond the launch of a game. With Dragon Age Origins, they went to the extent of bringing out content mere months prior to the release of Dragon Age II. Dragon Age II they've repeatedly said that Hawke's story is not yet over, and s/he wont be the player character in DA3, meaning more DLC.

Based on BioWare's track record, I would shocked, literally shocked, if they didn't.

Edited by Darth_Romana

As others have posted, my hope as well is that they continue these class storylines in the expansions, since they've done a marvelous job with them so far.

That being said, I can see them creating a single connecting storyline for the expansion as well. They could create brief "detour" quest lines, that focus on at least 2 classes, so that while every class would experience the main missions, you would experience the "detour" only twice for each faction.

For example, on the Republic side, every class completes Quests/Missions #1-5. At this point, a "detour" occurs, so that Jedi Knights and Troopers experience #6a-10a, Smugglers and Consulars experience #6b-10b. The mission line converges again, and we move on.

Its an idea anyway, and I know that alot of work would still need to go into it to make it happen.

If The Old Republic's subscription numbers don't nosedive I should think we'll expect more. My concern is that EA abandon ship as quickly as an Italian sea captain (too soon?) if they see it as a failing MMO much in the same way they did with Warhammer Online.

The Old Republic is an expensive game and EA aren't afraid to abandon it if they can shove their dosh elsewhere.

obviously there expanding on the class storylines...With stephen reid/Drew K saying in interviews they are years ahead in writing and have been doing VO for a while now..

Its just whether we have to wait for an expansion or whether its coming out in a content patch.

I would expect more incremental advance on the storylines in an expansion and would actually prefer protecting our newly found statuses than getting to new heights. Competitors, fellow Dark Council members, rising new stars in the Jedi/Sith orders as a threat to us and so on.