Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

This game needs more MMO and less Single Player

skaidar

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also disagree with the OP. I love how this game is designed.

In particular I love all the phased areas since you get pristine slices of content for important content moments.

There are plenty of opportunities to group while leveling and lots of flash points.

Duo play is lots of fun.

I don't PvP, and if I did, I would be seeking meaningful PvP and not ganking since that's low quality garbage for wannabe bullies, so I don't really care what impact game design has on "open world pvp" (fancy name for ganking since there surely isn't much, if any, meaningful open world PvP happening in PvE MMORPGs with slapped on PvP).

then we pay for nothing.. completly a single player game and not "MMO"

I know exactly what I'm paying for - a game with a great story, that I can enjoy playing with my friends. This game is everything they advertised.

generaly this game need hard fixes

Indeed, but I guess we have different fixes in mind.

Chat bubbles a must? LOL, ok. I hate them. Maybe a must for you. I hate the clutter on the screen, especially in more crowded areas.

What crowded areas. Seriously I have yet to be in an area with more than 6 people.

So please where are these crowed area you are speaking of because I have missed them.

also in every game I have played that had chatt bubbles they can be turned off. So if the game ever get crowded ( I would love to see this BTW ) you would not have to deal with it.

so again CHAT BUBBLES ARE A MUST, for the simple fact that I know if the person standing next to me is the one talking to me, think of it as a point of reference. how am I supposed to taunt the Sith if they cant see what I am saying?

LoL crowded areas, I'm going to be laughing at that all day.

Edited by kiddeth

then we pay for nothing.. completly a single player game and not "MMO"

generaly this game need hard fixes

I love how people are basing arguments like this around probably not even being level 50. There are raids, there are heroics, there are high end PVP zones, there are massive Warzones. The story is broken in to 2 things IMO.

1. Early game, focusing entirely on story and character progression with some MMO elements (Flashpoints, heroic 4's, and PVP)

2. Late/end game focusing primarily on gearing through either end tier PVP or heroic flashpoints and operations.

You play the wrong game them. Story is the MAIN focus of this game.

Do you need to group to finish the story in this MMO?

Sounds like a single player game to me and that is how I am playing it. Just like I would play Mass Effect and Dragons Age.

SWTOR is no different then any of the recent RPGs Bio has put out.

All they did was expand on the coop part without the need to actuall cooperate with anyone.

I love how people are basing arguments like this around probably not even being level 50. There are raids, there are heroics, there are high end PVP zones, there are massive Warzones. The story is broken in to 2 things IMO.

1. Early game, focusing entirely on story and character progression with some MMO elements (Flashpoints, heroic 4's, and PVP)

2. Late/end game focusing primarily on gearing through either end tier PVP or heroic flashpoints and operations.

well once I get to lvl 50 I will have a clearer picture or the entire thing. As for now lvl 27 there seems to be some issues with the "Massively" aspect of the game.

Stories are for Singleplayer games...

Don't get me wrong please, I love the additional focus on the story in this game. It is refreshing and typical Bioware quality in most cases (class quests).

However, this game is an MMO and advertised as an MMO...... multiplayer content > everything else.

Incorrect.

Dear Original Poster,

I'm an introvert who occasionally enjoys cooperative play with a small group of friends. MMOs are my favorite genre because they are broader and more open-ended than single player games.

I can compete (in PvP, in trade, in crafting) with other players indirectly without having to interact with them directly.

I found plenty of options for voluntary interaction with my guildmates or nearby players in flashpoints and missions. I found those time-consuming though fun.

I do not want more of that content forced upon me. I want to be able to play singleplayer as much as I like (while crafting for a larger community) and then jump into flashpoints/heroics when I'm in the mood for it.

Any changes to this dynamic will ruin an otherwise great game for me.

Dear Original Poster,

Please stop trying to ruin my game.

Sincerely,

A player who loves the game and will give Bioware lots of money for as long as he loves the game.

Probably not. On the other hand, in no other game have I found myself in a group as often as in TOR.

Sounds like a single player game to me and that is how I am playing it. Just like I would play Mass Effect and Dragons Age.

All they did was expand on the coop part without the need to actuall cooperate with anyone.

I'm totally fine with that. Games that require me to group up with other people are not the games I like to play. Take the requirement away however and suddenly I find it quite enjoyable.

have you seen the community that has come with this game? LOL the only time most talk to you is if they want to berate you in chat.

and you want me to play with this cesspool of gamers?

sorry but I don't want to play with 90% of you.

You sound as if requiring people to rely on random strangers instead of planning to group with their friends and generally enjoy themselves is the defining aspect of an MMO for you.

I'm afraid you'll never be satisfied with an MMO again. That worked for EQ back in the day, because people had nowhere else to go.

That will never be the case again.

Ever.

I don't have a level 50 yet and I don't think the game has a feature like this, but one thing I'd like to see in the game is something similar to WoW's dungeon finder, but for flashpoints obviously... I'm not trying to make the game more like WoW otherwise I'd play WoW, but I'd find it much easier to find groups for flashpoints.

If there is something like this in the game then ignore my previous statement.

You play the wrong game them. Story is the MAIN focus of this game.

it's an MMO so it can't be the main focus by definition.

The main focus in an MMO is multiplayer connectivity...I mean that is what the name suggests right?

Leveling a new character and enjoying a story is just a diversion and a change of pace and it is refreshing to see Bioware has created a game where you are given more incentive to do so.

At the heart of an MMO though... no, there is multiplayer content, both PvE and PvP or RPing if you're into that of course. After you have seen the same storyline in dungeons 10 times over or even when leveling up a new character (only the class quests are really unique) there is nothing else to do other than group up and enjoy the content (again, which is what MMOs are all about. If I just want to enjoy a storyline - that's what offline games are for)

Yes, you can play SWTOR like a single-player game if you choose to pass on a lot of the fun in games like this, but you can do that in most other MMOs too, to an extent. It just works better in this game.

Edited by mufutiz

Of course I don't -.-

I read and listen EVERYTHING in the game...

I was talking Globally, that you cant achieve a hero status among other players

Ah.

Well I don't care about having "Status" among other players.

I'm not interested in competing.

I disagree. Why would you want to make this game more like the others? There are plenty of games out there that focus on the features you listed. SW:TOR is focused on its story, which makes it unique. Any changes that reduce the importance of the story would only hurt this game, as they would make it lose its identity.

Why? Because they charge me $15 /month to play like every other game. ;)

I play solo when none of my friends are around. I play with friends when they are. I talk to my friends and guild mates when I play. That is ALL I have ever done in ANY MMO I have ever played. So, how again is this on not an MMO?

it's an MMO so it can't be the main focus by definition.

Nope, it's a MMORPG. Three additional letters and it makes a huge difference.

The main focus in an MMO is multiplayer connectivity...I mean that is what the name suggests right?

Actually no. MMO has no "focus" whatsoever. It just denotes a persistent world, where many players engage in different activities at the same time. How many restrictions will be placed on the players is up to the developer, but MMO in itself has no focus whatsoever.

Your definition.

Everyone who plays this game doesn't share your definition. Some do, some don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

It's the definition. Some people might go rogue and not accept it. but it's what an MMO is.

At the core of an MMORPG lies the multiplayer aspect, like playing a board game with your friends.

At the core of an offline RPG lies the individual experience, like reading a story in a book.

sure, Bioware puts much more story and cinematic feeling into the game than other games of its kind but this is not KOTOR 3. This is a Star Wars MMO.

Nope, it's a MMORPG. Three additional letters and it makes a huge difference.

Actually no. MMO has no "focus" whatsoever. It just denotes a persistent world, where many players engage in different activities at the same time. How many restrictions will be placed on the players is up to the developer, but MMO in itself has no focus whatsoever.

define "many" .

is (8) many because as of right now there are 8 people on Tatooine on ( Nadds Sarcophagus, who makes up these names BTW ) of course for some people that had stated earlier in the thread this may be a crowd, but is it enough.

side note: the more people on the better my frame rate, I find this just odd.

Edited by kiddeth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.