Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Poor Republic Players Have to Stare at this in their own fleet!

Zimms

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, that might explain why the fleets are so chunky laggy sucky.

Both sides use the same instance, by any chance, and the grafics are superimposed?

Sounds to me like one of those ideas. You know, fantastic while you're drunk.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind the 'Republic' fleet is identical in design to the Imperial one. The Emperor probably lured the greatest of the Republic's heroes into a fleet ship he controls. It would serve no purpose to simply kill the Republic yet, when you can gather so much information, cause so many lag spikes for luls and at the right time, completely confuse the Republic fleet just before a major assault.

The fleet is 'docked' near enough to coruscant that the whole thing could have been built during its' sacking by the Empire. The Sith are masters of deception. The reflection of light however, has betrayed the ruse to cunning Republic heroes, but is it too late?

Keep in mind the 'Republic' fleet is identical in design to the Imperial one. The Emperor probably lured the greatest of the Republic's heroes into a fleet ship he controls. It would serve no purpose to simply kill the Republic yet, when you can gather so much information, cause so many lag spikes for luls and at the right time, completely confuse the Republic fleet just before a major assault.

The fleet is 'docked' near enough to coruscant that the whole thing could have been built during its' sacking by the Empire. The Sith are masters of deception. The reflection of light however, has betrayed the ruse to cunning Republic heroes, but is it too late?

clever cover story, i am sure it will be used :p

They probably generated a cube map using the imp fleet, then used it as an environment map for both stations since they are so similar. This is pretty common. At least they took the time to make the map, a lot of places will use random HDR images to fake a reflective surface.

They probably generated a cube map using the imp fleet, then used it as an environment map for both stations since they are so similar. This is pretty common. At least they took the time to make the map, a lot of places will use random HDR images to fake a reflective surface.

Yea, you're right. We should be happy. For a game with a 300m budget, it's normal that they cut corners. The fleets look so similar that the red imperial flags in the reflection of the Republic Fleet barely stand out. Same as all the colours, and architecture. Basicly the same. *sarcasm*

All jokes aside, this must've been sloppyness. You can see the entire Emperial Fleet in the droid's reflection.

Edited by Tomskiiii

Priceless hehehh :D

It isn't cutting corners. It is optimization. You can barely, if at all, tell. Using a map generated from the republic fleet wouldn't change much as the majority of the color information you see is coming from the diffuse (color) and specular color(assuming they use one) maps. Both of which are unique to the materials they were made for. This is how games are made. It isn't a cost cutting technique or lazy. The exact same thing is done in pretty much any other game that uses any kind of material/shader system.

It isn't cutting corners. It is optimization. You can barely, if at all, tell. Using a map generated from the republic fleet wouldn't change much as the majority of the color information you see is coming from the diffuse (color) and specular color(assuming they use one) maps. Both of which are unique to the materials they were made for. This is how games are made. It isn't a cost cutting technique or lazy. The exact same thing is done in pretty much any other game that uses any kind of material/shader system.

Ok.. http://i.imgur.com/9Mkaa.jpg

Look at the droid. If you can seriously look at that droid's helmet and say that you can barely tell that the reflection on it is in fact not the Republic Fleet interior and architecture, but the Emperial, then in my opinion you should have your eyes checked.

If you use these kind of advanced reflections that basicly work like a full fledged mirror, you just can't copy paste the cubemap for those reflections to an area identical in size and shape, but completely different in colour and design. Brown and yellow is not black and red. I can't really put it any more simple than that.

Edited by Tomskiiii

It isn't some advanced reflection system, but that is here nor there. Does it screw with your suspension of disbelief to stare at the top of a droid's head and notice the inconsistency with the reflection? Sure. But why are you staring at the droid's head to begin with unless you are hunting for issues.

My point is that this is how it is done in EVERY game that isn't using real time reflections. It isn't cost cutting or lazy. It doesn't take a large amount of time to generate the image.

If you want to complain about the art, complain about Quesh. It is horrible looking. Feels like it was done at the very last minute to fill a void. By an intern no less.

I understand that, but when the reflections are this detailed, [few games i've seen had these extremely polished floors] and almost work like a mirror, bioware shouldn't have copy pasted it. I understand that in most other games, this is also common, but imagine that a game has a room with a mirror and they make a cubemap to reflect the mirror. if they make a clone of the room next to it, but instead of green paint, a red paint, they also edit the cubemap to show red paint on the walls of room B.

When the detail of reflection is high, and the colour composition of the area very different from the area you want to copy the cube map from, you simply dont copy it.

You edit it to fit the other area.

I guess you understood my point 3 posts ago.

As a Republic player this is pretty upsetting. As if there weren't enough accusations of Bioware playing favorites, somebody has to go and point this out, LOL.

I actually did notice this the other day, but since I have never seen the Imperial fleet, I couldn't make the connection.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.