The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why so few Powertechs?

MatzahMaul

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually turn up to fights naked with less than 5000 HP - They say 'I thought you said you was a fully specced PT tankl!?' and I say in a cool voice, as I start putting on the gear with my stats stacking to 18500 "I AM"

:eek: <- Sith Sorc face meatshield

:eek: <- Merc healer face

:eek: <- Imperial Agent

They get a warm feeling inside when I do this.

That warm feeling... is it running down the inside of their trouser leg? :D

People just want to dual wield pistols, and they figure that juggs are the be all end all for PVE tanks so there's no reason to roll powertech.

Yeah this probably sums it up. People find the dual pistols very appealing and for some reason people think that Powertechs seem weak because they only have a single pistol. As for the Juggs, I think a lot of people prefer to tank with those over the Powertechs because it's more like the traditional style tank. Powertech is a different ball game. I've never tanked in a game before so they're all new to me and I thought the Powertech sounded pretty damn awesome. So far, it's only exceeded my expectations.

Yeah this probably sums it up. People find the dual pistols very appealing and for some reason people think that Powertechs seem weak because they only have a single pistol. As for the Juggs, I think a lot of people prefer to tank with those over the Powertechs because it's more like the traditional style tank. Powertech is a different ball game. I've never tanked in a game before so they're all new to me and I thought the Powertech sounded pretty damn awesome. So far, it's only exceeded my expectations.

Ranged Tanking is simply amazing.

The only bad part about PT is that its hard to kill anybody when you have millions of sorcerers and sages blasting you at max range all the time.

But that's due to those AC's being the flavor of the week class.

Like seriously, I was in a huttball today team with nothing but sorc's on my side while the other side had a merc, a sniper, and the rest sorc's.

The only problem with PT I have is that the shieldtechs highest tree ability is kinda subpar.

The only bad part about PT is that its hard to kill anybody when you have millions of sorcerers and sages blasting you at max range all the time.

Shouldn't be any problem killing Sorcs.

If you are in Shield you have Jet Charge, if you are in Pyro you have massive ranged burst, if you are in AP well, you have a few speed abilities that help out and lower grapple time :)

While I would *love* to have some type of CC. All in All I feel PT's do very well and have very good synergy between their trees.

On the up and up, we fly way under the radar of Sorcs and OPs so nobody complains about us yet in PVP other then grappling in to pits :)

Edited by exphryl

And they would be completely wrong. But it's cool. I totally don't mind being one of the few.

Agreed - PT seems to take the most consistent damage in PvE; our defensive CDs don't seem to be as good as the Jug so depends on the fight but overall I feel it's the obvious choice for MT.

* Incredibly buggy abilities (having to press abilities, specifically Unload, 2-4 times for them to go off)

* crappy interior for a ship (just an opinion, loved the way the exterior looks though)

* aweful companions (Beiber's older brother Torian, again opinion)

* craptacular storyline for BH (again, opinion)

* believing that tanking as a BH would be ranged (its not, it is strictly melee for any boss fight)

* zero in combat heals

* an abundance of tanks in raids or flashpoints or quests

* lack of weapons for companions (there are no cunning pistols available for Mako, techblades/tech swords/staves with Aim on them, for Torian or Skadge) while force using classes can fully equip many of their companions in full epics from raids/heroic flashpoints.

All these things are making me take a serious look at my rank 51 valor PT, and decide whether I will reroll.

The biggest thing I am looking at is the fact that healers can run two different raid rolls with one set of gear. To me, that is a MASSIVE advantage.

Edited by Humankeg

QUOTE]

I think you need to spec Pyro. While sages do give me more trouble than most classes, I just quell them and it wrecks their day. The rest of the classes just burn.

There are two answers to your question and they arre related so im not surre what order to put them in. I was a bear tank in the other mmo for years if tthat gives you an idea where im comeing from. Well here goes 1) people are AFRAID of tanking. Tanks and tank specs AND a player that is willing to tank is a harder combo to find in an mmo then even a healer.

In the other mmo, even with duel specs, and a cross sever lfg tool, dps had a 30 min que time. Healers had ten min, as a tank it was instant. As aa druid i couuld duel spec and fill any of the three so i kknow this is true.

So how does this apply here, well thats point 2) the belife that mercs are dps and/or healers and that pt are malee tanks. Well most people dont want to tank, and those that want to malee picked something with a saber.

I played a merc to 28 partly bc i couldnt see haveing a pet and not beinng able to heal it. Didnt relize how great mako is. Liked pvp alot and just accepted that i died alot to ssaber classes. Saw a pt in pvp and he was awsome. Knew i had to try. Only 11 so far and had MUCH more fun. As more people see how rounded the pt is, more will play, but i expect this will continue to be one of the most fun, but lest played classes in the game, but thats ok, druids were too.

What you say about tanks is very true. Ones that know what they are doing are as rare, if not moreso, than a good healer. I also love my fuzzy bear from that other game. Let's hope PT stays underplayed. One thing I loved about early "that other game" was the rarity of feral druids. It added to the feeling of being unique, even if it was just window dressing.

Seriously, what's the problem in saying WoW? What is this "the other game" nonsense on these forums, are you guys concerned that if you say the name it'll suddenly materialize and tempt players away from TOR?

Seriously, what's the problem in saying WoW? What is this "the other game" nonsense on these forums, are you guys concerned that if you say the name it'll suddenly materialize and tempt players away from TOR?

Its like Beetlejuice or Biggie Smalls. Say it too many times and it appears and steals your life.