Please add companion respeccing

Valkanna

I completely agree with the OP. Let us chose roles for companions.

With that said, I know it won't be an easy task.

1. They'd have to rethink how the quest rewards are given for companion gear

2. Players would have to spend a lot more on regearing companions

3. It would go against the story of several companions (and we all know how crazy BW is about maintaining story)

4. BW would have to rework all the animations.

Personally, I'm ok with companions that act out of character.

Edited by Necrodiety

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really a balance issue when it comes to companions. Most players--from what I see in game--at later levels are running with healer companions (unless they are a healer themselves) or else really outleveling the content and running with a tank/dps companion (usually the best-looking female one available).

I don't think I've seen a BH at any level run with any companion outside of Mako, though I'm sure there must be some out there.

I exclusively solo on my DPS commando with my healing companion. Far less downtime than if I use my tank companion. I haven't had much problem yet, even taking down 2-man heroics and champion mobs.

I pretty much had to use my tank companion on my Sage to 50. Fair amount of downtime because Qyzen seemed horrible for mitigation at times. Just glad I ran with my brother's Vanguard a fair bit while leveling the Sage, which in hindsight might have been why Qyzen felt so soft - compared to a real player tank.

Edited by Raeln

This is really a balance issue when it comes to companions. Most players--from what I see in game--at later levels are running with healer companions (unless they are a healer themselves) or else really outleveling the content and running with a tank/dps companion (usually the best-looking female one available).

I don't think I've seen a BH at any level run with any companion outside of Mako, though I'm sure there must be some out there.

That's sort of how it is with Sith Inquisitor Healers. We just DON'T go outside of Khem Val.

I suppose it's also pretty great I can solo content easily with Khem, but as I mentioned in a previous reply: a change of FACE would be great from time to time. I would love to roll with Andronikos.

And hell, I would love to see how Ashara plays out, but I have absolutely no use or desire to fit her in. She simply doesn't fit the role I need for questing / levelling.

I would have liked the ability to select a pet from a pool, but the problem is obvious why that wouldn't work. It's a shame tho.

<edit> Are the healer pets really that good at higher levels? They seem pretty awful at lower levels, up to 26 at least from my experience. I always went with a dps on my tank because the fights ended faster and the healing really didn't make that much difference. Just made the fights take longer. But what i just wrote was based on those levels, things could be different at higher. I have no idea.

Edited by hulduet

It's the fact that Bioware gave companions personalities and backgrounds that make this an issue for some.

I keep expecting one of my companions to say "Go for the eyes Boo!".

Epic post lol. Minsc is the greatest character ever created.

I would have liked the ability to select a pet from a pool, but the problem is obvious why that wouldn't work. It's a shame tho.

<edit> Are the healer pets really that good at higher levels? They seem pretty awful at lower levels, up to 26 at least from my experience. I always went with a dps on my tank because the fights ended faster and the healing really didn't make that much difference. Just made the fights take longer. But what i just wrote was based on those levels, things could be different at higher. I have no idea.

I go with the healer because of efficiency. I can pace myself at having no downtime whatsoever - rarely even needing to use my recover ability out of combat. If I switch to tank companion as a DPS specced commando, then I start having downtime from healing the tank back up after the fight. It's just less efficient overall.

Again, just for normal questing - not while trying to solo heroic content.

I support this idea but in a simple forms, just add tank, dps, heal stance to all companions. Quick, easy, and allows players to use more than one companion for the entire game (I leveled sniper to 50 and only used kaliyo until 45 then scorpio).

I agree completely. I've shelved a few classes because I didn't like my companion. Yes you can buck the trend and use a different companion but when it causes you to be underpowered it's counterproductive. Being able to assign an additional role would be amazing and it would bring back the point of going with a companion you enjoy rather than being able to play efficiently. Allowing this "choice" to exist offers no material benefits. Edited by ADPowah

Companions aren't pets, they aren't your personal slave. They are supposed to be living, breathing companions with their own goals and standards.

Respecing them just doesn't make sense in that context.

Though they also have characters much like SWTOR in games such as Dragon Age: Origins. They had a very deep story, and had their own goals to the point some would try to kill you if you did something they found horrible.

The great thing was, you could build them the way you wanted to, so you could pick a group that you thought to be loyal and entertaining, and added a lot of depth to the game.

I agree with the OP. It is depressing when I realize that for some of the classes/roles I want to play, I would be pretty much stuck with a companion I can't stand for 30-40 levels (ugh, Khem and Qyzen).

Though I can see the potential problems:

1. Companion story and gear --

Story isn't too much of an issue, but it also depends on the companion's "class". Ex: a companion that takes Smuggler gear/stats would be tricky to make into a tank, since Smugglers don't have a tanking spec. And story-wise, I can't see a companion like Tharan wearing Jedi or Trooper gear. Maybe just give each companion 3 of the 5 roles.

2. People using one companion exclusively --

Why bother to outfit and use more than one if they can do all you want? If it was an issue, I think this could be solved by having you choose what role you want your companion to have and making switching it like respec'ing. That way you could change your favorite companion's role if you changed your play style, but still have reason to use a different companion depending on the situation (like for elites vs. random questing trash).

3. Companion popularity --

I may be wrong, but when it comes to looks and personality, some companions are simply more popular than others and would probably get used a lot more. Mostly an issue at higher levels when everyone has their companions, though.

But it sure would be nice if we could have some choice in our companion's role. :)

Companions aren't pets, they aren't your personal slave. They are supposed to be living, breathing companions with their own goals and standards.

Respecing them just doesn't make sense in that context.

If we want to go "real" - then I personally would have told Qyzen to hang tight with Yuon at the Coruscant medical lab. I would have then went down the hall to General Garza and said, "yo dawg, I need one of your troopers as a companion. I don't care what race he or she is, as long as they are of the Vanguard variety."

I would have taken Tharan, but not until after I laid the law down that it's my ship and he can shut up or stay in his shambling Nar Shadda prison-lab with his extremely flirty pixelated girl friend.

I would have told Zenith to stay in bugtown - a light-sided diplomat has very little need of a sniper/assassin, who are dark intentioned by trade.

I would have welcomed Iresso with open arms as he's finally the first companion which makes sense for a Jedi Consular.

While Nadia is absolutely cute as a button, I'd have to discuss with her to not eat crackers in my bed and that as a shadow, her job is to distract targets long enough for me to obliterate them with disturbances in the force - not run around yelling, "I'm stronger than I thought", while I'm getting my face pounded.

If this post wasn't so long already, I'd sum up the trooper companions as well - though, I'm 300% more happy with them. At least all 5 of them make sense to be in a spec ops squad.

Edited by Raeln

I agree with the OP. It is depressing when I realize that for some of the classes/roles I want to play, I would be pretty much stuck with a companion I can't stand for 30-40 levels (ugh, Khem and Qyzen).

Though I can see the potential problems:

1. Companion story and gear --

Story isn't too much of an issue, but it also depends on the companion's "class". Ex: a companion that takes Smuggler gear/stats would be tricky to make into a tank, since Smugglers don't have a tanking spec. And story-wise, I can't see a companion like Tharan wearing Jedi or Trooper gear. Maybe just give each companion 3 of the 5 roles.

It has to fit and make sense.

What doesn't fit is Nadia trying to heal her father when she's a Shadow and has no access to healing abilities, save a medpack.

We also have the Phoenix Down issue with her father too. We can rezz players/companions all day long until the story requires someone to die.

2. People using one companion exclusively --

Why bother to outfit and use more than one if they can do all you want? If it was an issue, I think this could be solved by having you choose what role you want your companion to have and making switching it like respec'ing. That way you could change your favorite companion's role if you changed your play style, but still have reason to use a different companion depending on the situation (like for elites vs. random questing trash).

Yes - I will shamelessly admit that as a Sage, I would use Iresso or Nadia (if she could tank), exclusively.

I don't see much difference between that and being forced to use Qyzen exclusively.

3. Companion popularity --

I may be wrong, but when it comes to looks and personality, some companions are simply more popular than others and would probably get used a lot more. Mostly an issue at higher levels when everyone has their companions, though.

Well, Nadia is my Sage's friggin' wife! I'd love to have her out with me as I see the sights of the galaxy, instead - she has to stay on the ship because her specific skillset is completely out of place with either a Sage or a Shadow.

Both Sage specs need a tank.

Both Shadow specs need a healer.

Nadia cannot do either.

But it sure would be nice if we could have some choice in our companion's role. :)

I really, really, really want role customization options. This reminds me a lot of pre-normalized hunter pets in WoW. One pet was the best for what you needed to do, variation did not exist. If you used something other than the cookie cutter pet, you were considered terribad.

:(

Edited by Raeln

My shadow tank used Nadia. Some stuff is more touch-and-go than if I was using Tharan but... Holiday creeps me out, and then to an extent so does Tharan.

If I got to an elite though, I'd have to carefully manage the fight and my tanking abilities so that Nadia and I could kill it before I died. It's way easier with Tharan and if it's a really hard fight then I still have to drag him out of the ship for it. 90% of the time, though, Nadia's ridiculous damage output helps me move through groups quicker and thus diminishes the need for a pocket healer.

It is very disappointing that each companion is hardlocked into a role for the reasons already stated -- often you end up feeling forced to use a companion you dislike, or you have to bench someone you'd really like to have along.

Edited by Unruhe

The ability to pick a companions skills would be awesome that way players could experience all the companions they get not just the healers ones.

In reality I think players would just pick the companion whose aesthetics were most pleasing to them and choose the role they most benefit from having filled.

I can't say that would be particularly bad though. I'd really like it if I could play a sith assassin tank without relying on a twisted little idiot that I don't even get until 80% of max level to heal me.

Stuff like that basically just prevents me from playing certain ACs, because the lack of a companion that's aesthetically acceptable and/or that fills the role I need is so often an obstacle.

By the way, why does every class only get a single healer companion, and why do only bounty hunter/trooper get their healer companion early in the story? Shouldn't all tanking capable classes get a healer within their first two companions, and shouldn't every healer capable class get a tank in their first two? It's not like tank and healer companions can't also DPS, after all.

I can't say that would be particularly bad though. I'd really like it if I could play a sith assassin tank without relying on a twisted little idiot that I don't even get until 80% of max level to heal me.

Stuff like that basically just prevents me from playing certain ACs, because the lack of a companion that's aesthetically acceptable and/or that fills the role I need is so often an obstacle.

By the way, why does every class only get a single healer companion, and why do only bounty hunter/trooper get their healer companion early in the story? Shouldn't all tanking capable classes get a healer within their first two companions, and shouldn't every healer capable class get a tank in their first two? It's not like tank and healer companions can't also DPS, after all.

Exactly, implementing this would fix a lot of companion issues people have.