Black Lightsaber

Durstilla

I can't say it's canon or not. To say that it's impossible for a lightsaber to be black is a bit to far. The blade of a lightsaber isn't really a construct of light, but contained plasma. I think that a person could create a synthetic crystal, as many Sith do for their lightsabers, that would form a black blade, but that's really on the ropes there.

i keep seeing the word canon being brought up... what is canon or phrase canon mean? besides a weapon shooting projectile.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i keep seeing the word canon being brought up... what is canon or phrase canon mean? besides a weapon shooting projectile.

Cannon would be a weapon.

Canon refers to the primary content of a story. If something is not considered canon, then it is not part of the main lore of the title.

Mostly correct.

Yes, cannon with three total Ns is a weapon that fires a heavy projectile propelled by expanding gasses from a chemical explosion.

Canon with two total Ns is 'what actually happened' in a story.

Luke blew up the Death Star. Canon.

Han and Leia kissed. Canon.

Luke and Leia also kissed. Canon.

Chewie put C-3PO's head on backwards. Canon.

The Ewoks had superdense muscles that allowed them to punch stronger than Wookiees, and light-diffracting fur that made them practically immune to blasterfire, and these advantages allowed them to defeat the Empire, then shortly thereafter overthrow the Rebellion and rule the galaxy. Not Canon.

It even says it in the cartoon that its a sabre.

"This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them!"

Then the mando pulls out the black sabre. So yes, its canon, get over it.

Also

Behind the scenes

The darksaber

The darksaber made its first appearance in the Star Wars universe in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series' second season episode, The Mandalore Plot, which premiered January 29, 2010. It was the first lightsaber to officially possess a black-colored energy blade in canon.

Originally intended to be a vibroblade, George Lucas decided that, to preserve the uniqueness of the Jedi weapon, a lightsaber should not be seen to be blocked by sword-like weapon that is not a lightsaber. With that in mind, Lucas and the show's crew conceived of an ancient precursor to the lightsaber which they named the darksaber.

Edited by Bratprince

The crystals just provide color and powers to the lightsaber. Maybe it could be the begining of a new faction of Force sensitives? But does color really mean anything, because look at KOTOR you could be a jedi and still have a red colored saber and it didn't count against you.

So here's my question - if the darksaber shown in the cw series is a vibroblade, but emits a flat blade of dark plasma outlined with a white light, works the same as a lightsaber, and fulfills the same utility, what's the difference?

I mean, I thought in the SW EU it went like cortosis blade > lightsaber > vibroblade > normal blade.

But if the darksaber is really a vibroblade that doesnt break or melt on contact with a plasma lightsaber, looks the same as a lightsaber, and functions the same as a lightsaber, what's to say it's not a lightsaber, albeit dark?

Edited by ptoss

I didn't check to see if someone already brought this up but it is indeed cannon. there was a black lightsaber in an episode of The Clone wars which Lucas is directly involved with making it L cannon. In fact if i remember the behind the scenes correctly it was Lucas's suggested for the saber to be black. Now I'm not a big fan of Lucas and a lot of his decisions, but it is what it is.

Now I'd like to argue in favor of the black saber......simple fact....anyone who uses the laws of physics in a starwars argument doesn't pay much attention to the series. Space explosions. SOUND from space explosions. These things simple can't happen in real life. There were also numerous times where the laws of gravity and momentum were totally ignored (the ridiculous city chase scene in episode two) so Ireally don't think a black saber for aesthetic purposes is that much of a stretch.

your all dum it was stolen at the fall of the old republic

look it u thats why it should be in here cuz of the history and its the oldist lightsaber

and its name is darksaber not black lightsaber get it right

:mad:

Either or , CloneWars on CN by Lucas own words is fully Canon . So the Saber is in fact Canon.

It's obviously canon since LucasArts approved it... and it was also in Force Unleashed from what I've read.

The thing is it's ugly and should have never been canon. Or maybe have only one of it in the whole universe and make it like a super artifact but since everyone and his mom in TOR are having one that's not the case either.

I just find it funny how I never saw a black lightsaber in KotOR, and now suddenly I see items from Bastila, Jolee Bindo, etc. that all contain a black crystal.

Jolee Bindo was a grampa when we met him in KotOR. Surely he died not soon after the end of KotOR? Where did all these black crystals came from all of a sudden? And why would persons like Bastila and Jolee Bindo even want to give up their beloved colors?

So many questions, so little answers...

It's canon. Theyre actually called "darksabers".

They are ancient crystals, and dont forget- the crystals are powered by the force, and the force can do (almost) anything.

Don't argue with it, it's a hopeless battle (no offense), we will probably Just get some light( or dark) shed on where it comes from.

They are ancient crystals, and dont forget- the crystals are powered by the force,

Not quite true. A lightsaber is not powered by the Force IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER. It draws its power from an ordinary power cell. The Force does allow a Jedi to construct the weapon in such a way that it loses essentially no energy during operation, granting it an effectively infinite power supply, but only because almost all the energy drawn from the power cell to create the blade is returned to the power cell in a closed-loop system.

The crystals are "attuned" through the Force to the creator of the lightsaber, but all this does is grant the user and the weapon a special bond (a minor to-hit bonus in most RPGs.) It in no way contributes to the "energy" that the lightsaber draws on to form a blade.

SOUND from space explosions.

Actually, according to the laws of physics, you CAN have sound from an explosion in space. Here's how:

Sound waves are transmitted through a medium (such as air or water.)

A spaceship contains an atmosphere for its crew.

When the ship explodes, everything within the ship, including the atmosphere, expands outward in a sphere.

If this sphere of expanding, exploding atmosphere should strike another ship, the hull would translate the pressure wave of the expanding atmosphere to the interior atmosphere of the ship, essentially creating. . . sound in space.

(Granted, said sound would be more like a giant bell ring as the pressure wave interacts with the hull, rather then the complex sound of a true explosion, but still.)

Actually, according to the laws of physics, you CAN have sound from an explosion in space. Here's how:

Sound waves are transmitted through a medium (such as air or water.)

A spaceship contains an atmosphere for its crew.

When the ship explodes, everything within the ship, including the atmosphere, expands outward in a sphere.

If this sphere of expanding, exploding atmosphere should strike another ship, the hull would translate the pressure wave of the expanding atmosphere to the interior atmosphere of the ship, essentially creating. . . sound in space.

(Granted, said sound would be more like a giant bell ring as the pressure wave interacts with the hull, rather then the complex sound of a true explosion, but still.)

yea but what about all the time in starwars when a ship blows up on its own? like the deathstar? that was pretty loud but there were no ships close enough to it for all that. and sides, we also hear the sounds of laser fired and such.