Please do not kill open world PvP

SwiftyA

Just going to put this out there for your team of PvP developers.

For a MMORPG (and I know Bioware love the RPG part) open world PvP is a must. As long as the Empire and the Republic are fighting for objectives on each server the game will live.

Epic battles are what Star Wars is all about. And none of this cross-server stuff, I want to have enemies I recognize and remember. If there is a battle raging 24x7 so be it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For a MMORPG (and I know Bioware love the RPG part) open world PvP is a must. As long as the Empire and the Republic are fighting for objectives on each server the game will live.

Epic battles are what Star Wars is all about. And none of this cross-server stuff, I want to have enemies I recognize and remember. If there is a battle raging 24x7 so be it.

If your asking for no cross server PVP. And Open World PvP to have meaning like WoW tried to do in Burning Crusade i am all for it.

I got a feeling they will never go for Cross Server anything. Having read this article the devs have linked for the community. http://mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

It would go against player balance.

"A stable MUD is one in which the four principal styles of player are in equilibrium. This doesn't imply that there are the same number of players exhibiting each style; rather, it means that over time the proportion of players for each style remains roughly constant, so that the balance between the the various types remains the same. Other factors are important, to do with the rate at which new players arrive and overall player numbers"

((quoted from above link))

I would say this really hurt my play time on Rift. Nothing was ever constant in terms of player base. The shift of population incoming and out going because of free transfers. Hurt my enjoyment of the game and took away from the world or "my fun".

I know bioware is all about balance so i am not overly concerned for them implementing these things. But id still like to vote for no on this with ya.

Even the little things of actually running to the dungeon or "missions". Rather then being teleported has been a very blissful experience for me. Reminding me of Vanilla WoW and Eq1. Giving more depth and realism to the story of this MMO. Rather then looking at it just being content i have to beat to get to the next content.

If your asking for no cross server PVP. And Open World PvP to have meaning like WoW tried to do in Burning Crusade i am all for it.

I'd hate to tell you before wow made wsg, there was a thriving amount of pvp happening at tarren mill all the time.

i do agree on the no cross server though, i miss running into the same people over and over, building rivalries etc.

Well that's kind of the problem, isn't it? There's not going to be a battle 24x7. There's going to be a lot of interest in world PvP and in warzones early on, but soon you'll be waiting an hour or more to queue because a lot of the people on your server don't want to bother anymore.

I'm pretty sure Blizz did cross-server BGs because people wanted to be able to PvP without having to wait so long. Same thing with the dungeon finder. It's all well and good to be fighting "enemies you recognize" but then your ability to get into a warzone is limited by said enemies wanting to battle you.

It's true... I remembered having to wait over an hour for one game of warsong and it wasn't fun during the wait.

However with warzones, it's opened level, so hopefully at worst on offpeak time, there will be at least one active game for each of the 3 games.

I'm pretty sure Blizz did cross-server BGs because people wanted to be able to PvP without having to wait so long. Same thing with the dungeon finder. It's all well and good to be fighting "enemies you recognize" but then your ability to get into a warzone is limited by said enemies wanting to battle you.

That brings up the whole casual vs hardcore aspect of the game, then. Cater to the casual with lots of less-rewarding PVP (literally and figuratively), or cater to the end-game players.

I guess we'll see which direction BW takes us.

Edited by Zo-So

The funny thing about world PvP is that it's up to the players to make it happen.

Exactly,

it's the players that need rewards and objectives to PvP that kill open world. I know it will be my guilds objective to create PvP wherever, whenever we can.

Perfectly stated. I will be spending most of my time in PVP. I don't have to wait for groups, if my friends aren't up, or aren't home I can just jump in the action. PVP is also one of the best places to meet other players """On The SAME Server"""

Not in the game yet so I am here. "grrr"

Just wondering, will empire and republic be able to communicate in the game, or will their writing just seem danish to each other?

Yes, in Say we will be able to by the looks of it. There is no lore restrictions as both Empire and Republic will speak basic.

Love your use of the word Danish btw. :D