Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the self entitlement that some of these people are who obviously don't understand how loot rolls work.

So a piece of loot drops that your companion can use, well guess what? EVERYONE has a companion that can use that loot too. But there's a good chance someone can actually use that piece of loot for THEMSELVES.

Stop being greedy. You will be kicked for that attitude.

Edited by falkerman

Again, that is your choice. Not a standard and in any way fact.

It actually is a fact. A PC always receives far more utility from a piece of loot than an NPC ever could. There's not a single companion, even fully geared out, that comes even close to being as capable as an equal-level PC. You might not like the implications of this, but it doesn't somehow stop it from being a fact.

Bioware made a specific comment saying that not a single character was banned for entering Ilum at level 12; it was the botting that was the issue. Botting is clearly against the ToS; rolling need for companions is against.... your morals. Oops.

Exploiting to steal millions of credits is against the terms of service. Rolling need for your companions is against... your morals. Oops.

Exploiting the game for credits or loot that you do not need/could never use (e.g. Ilum loot for a level 12) is also against my morals.

Oddeye, Lvl 35 Sage, The Jekk Jekk Tarr

Wilco, Lvl 17 Gunslinger, The Jekk Jekk Tarr

Mcwild, Lvl 26 Jugg, The Jekk Jekk Tarr

No qualms.

Don't look down

Are you honestly trying justify rolling over someone on a piece of loot for their actual character so that it can be gear for your "main pet?"

I don't need to justify it, since I can do it. I'm pointing out that there is a range between 0 and 100% for pressing the Need button.

You are trying to extricate companions from characters when they are not extricable. You are imposing your viewpoint that gearing companions is not as important as gearing main characters. That is an opinion. My companion very much DOES need that orange/purple, because my companion is simply another outlet of stats that affects my character.

You don't "NEED" anything; you could level through the entire game absolutely naked if you want to. It would take an awefully long time, but it is entirely possible. Need is the wrong word to use. Every single upgrade on myself or my companion is just that; an upgrade.

Agree!

I use +Crit in my example because it's a good one. Healers get use out of crit, as crit affects heals.

DPS obviously wants crit in its builds.

What's a guild going to do when a healer wants to improve their heal crit rate and a DPS wants to improve its DPS?

They'll let the DKP decide.

But the whining and drama will be there.

If the guild is running DKP, that means they're using master looter, and no sane raid leader is going to give medium armor to the healer that wears light armor just for one mod in it, when there's another member of the raid that actually wears medium armor and will benefits from all the stats on the item, DKP or no.

So according to you, morals should just be thrown out the window, and the TOS rules apply to everything? I sincerely hope that you never get a job with the government, the world would go up in flames.

Morals are SUBJECTIVE. It's like arguing with a bible basher. That someone disagrees with your subjective point of view does not mean that they are wrong, or that you are right, or that there IS a wrong and right. What is RIGHT is that if you expect something to happen other than what the game enforces, it is up to you to give that directive, and it is up to the players you are playing with to adhere to it.

Oh my, I don't think that you understood that his post was ridiculing you. Ignorance is bliss.

Oh! You were ridiculing me? And there was me thinking you were trying to win an argument based on opinion and falling at every step you took. My Bad.

I have a preset rule distribution system with a guild that applies to further actions for myself in future content. Since there is a tendency for everyone to have the latest gear the majority of the gear is going to companions anyway.

In PUGs, everyone can have a different concept of what is right or wrong when it comes to group play so I expect everyone to do things their own way. I don't know whether they are already over geared or are in need of gear for the content, so I don't pay any attention to what they have or what their class needs and I just Need based on my own character.

This is how it should be, since I may or may not ever group with that player again, and I hold zero ill will for them rolling on what they think is appropriate for their Needs as long as I get the impression they are making actual decisions before hitting the Need button.

You do realize that if your rolling need on items for a companion or yourself, you can technically roll need on every single item? For example, if I was a sorcerer who had Khem Val as a companion, Khem Val uses medium and heavy armor, while I use light. I could potentially roll need for every single item that drops, saying it was for me or a companion. Same with weapons, seeing as how each of my companions uses every type of weapon.

I love the self entitlement that some of these people are who obviously don't understand how loot rolls work.

So a piece of loot drops that your companion can use, well guess what? EVERYONE has a companion that can use that loot too. But there's a good chance someone can actually use that piece of loot for THEMSELVES.

Stop being greedy. You will be kicked for that attitude.

Aha, he mentioned the 'greed' word. By you trying to force your accepted loot rules on me and take away my rights, means that in fact, it is you who is being greedy.

If the guild is running DKP, that means they're using master looter, and no sane raid leader is going to give medium armor to the healer that wears light armor just for one mod in it, when there's another member of the raid that actually wears medium armor and will benefits from all the stats on the item, DKP or no.

Oh I disagree with that assessment sooooooo so much. Loot drama is coming. The examples I cite will make their way into the forums.

DPS is DPS is DPS. And most guild leaders realize that you depend far more on your healers than you do on DPS.

So if the healer has the DKP ... it's not at all as easy a decision as you make it out to be. Having dedicated and skilled healers for end-game content is something all guilds depend on. Losing them to gear up yet another button mashing pew pew DPS monkey?

Yeah, it's not at all the easy decision you seem to think it is.

Oh I disagree with that assessment sooooooo so much. Loot drama is coming. The examples I cite will make their way into the forums.

DPS is DPS is DPS. And most guild leaders realize that you depend far more on your healers than you do on DPS.

So if the healer has the DKP ... it's not at all as easy a decision as you make it out to be. Having dedicated and skilled healers for end-game content is something all guilds depend on. Losing them to gear up yet another button mashing pew pew DPS monkey?

Yeah, it's not at all the easy decision you seem to think it is.

I posted my toons and server. Yours?

Aha, he mentioned the 'greed' word. By you trying to force your accepted loot rules on me and take away my rights, means that in fact, it is you who is being greedy.

How hard is it to understand that whatever the group rules are you follow? Oh btw, you have no 'rights' in this game.

I'm starting to think these companion "need" rollers are just trolling. No one can be that obtuse. Oh well, I'm out. If you're serious, then enjoy your solo play.

One last parting thing, if you're so sure you're right then you shouldn't have a problem informing your groups at the start of a run, right? I'm guessing you don't because you know it will get you kicked...

How hard is it to understand that whatever the group rules are you follow? Oh btw, you have no 'rights' in this game.

When that loot box comes up I have the right to press whatever button I want to press. And hard as it is for you accept, you can do nothing about it,a and it is none of your business. I earned the right by helping the group, to get to that button selection. Why you think you have some god given right to somehow increase your chance of winning is beyond me.

Mostly because the OP's definition of "ninja" is completely wrong. If you roll need for something you don't plan to use immediately, plan to put on your companion, plan to reverse engineer or plan to strip for mods, you're not a ninja. You might not be the nicest person on the server. But you're not a ninja.

There's a roll involved. There's no ninja looting taking place. At all.

"Ninja"ing loot is simply the act of taking loot that was meant to go to someone else. How you effect the taking, mechanicly, doesn't matter.

And yes, bring up a DKP system, is irrelevant to the thread. They follow their own rules and guidelines.

Morals are SUBJECTIVE. It's like arguing with a bible basher. That someone disagrees with your subjective point of view does not mean that they are wrong, or that you are right, or that there IS a wrong and right. What is RIGHT is that if you expect something to happen other than what the game enforces, it is up to you to give that directive, and it is up to the players you are playing with to adhere to it.

Yes, morals are subjective, so what? It still doesn't change the fact that morals affect everyone's choices, and what goes on in the world. This can be proven through WoW when they implemented the roll device (forget what it's called). Now players in WoW could only roll on items that they could use. Why was this implemented? Because players, using their morals, indicated that it was wrong to ninja or roll need on items that they couldn't use.

Oh! You were ridiculing me? And there was me thinking you were trying to win an argument based on opinion and falling at every step you took. My Bad.

Ah, no, I personally wasn't ridiculing you, I was just pointing that fact out, which I felt was needed from your previous response which gave no indication that you realized you were being ridiculed.

"Ninja"ing loot is simply the act of taking loot that was meant to go to someone else. How you effect the taking, mechanicly, doesn't matter.

And yes, bring up a DKP system, is irrelevant to the thread. They follow their own rules and guidelines.

There's no ninja looting taking place in the example. There was a roll. All parties involved got to make a roll. The person who lost is just mad that they lost the roll.

That's not ninja looting. Nothing was stolen.

Here's a good baseline to keep in mind. Ninja looting is something the game company itself can take actions to rectify. If instances of actual ninja looting took place, Bioware, like Sony and Blizzard before them, could take action against the ninja looter, and restore the item to the person who had the item stolen from them.

In the example of someone winning a need roll? No gaming company can do anything about it. The person won a roll, fair and square.

Is the person that rolled being a nice person? No.

Are they a ninja? Not even close.

Edited by SnoggyMack