POLL: Will early access "waves" hurt Bioware in the long run?

PrimeRadiant

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Granting early access in waves to monitor server load makes complete sense to me.

Granting it in order of Pre-order date seems to be a logical way of measuring who gets in during which wave.

It sounds like everyone will be in over the course of a couple days anyway... so what's the big deal?

I have enough work to do to keep my busy. Would like to reserve my names though. I'll be a but put out if my names are taken, but they are very unique so I doubt it... we'll see.

It's just a game people, not a very expensive form of entertainment either, so just chill out and do something fun or productive till you get the call.

Peace.

I think doing it in waves is smart imo. Less stress on the servers means less chance of them crashing. Also, it helps clear out the starting zones for the next wave so you don't have a 100 people waiting to kill the same NPC.

1. Yes, having to create "waves" of access based on the date you happened to pre-order the game is idiotic and goes against even their own testing in beta. :mad:

2. No, everyone should just chill and just realize that the want this to be a flawless launch (nothing like WoW) and not tax the network and servers too much.

:D

Infact they are doing it to benefit the long term stability of the game and servers. They need to know what their current hardware will handle. Doing this in steps allows for a more controlled ramp up. This early access isnt for us, its more for them.

It might hurt them in future pre order sales, so i vote yes.

But i doubt it will hurt them regarding SWToR subscribers so in that case its a no.

Future scenario for any EA pre sales might be, A lot on day one, rest might just wait until last minute order to get in to EGA, after it have started.

As it stands now EA announce that if you dont preorder early in the first few days of release you'r preoders holds no value regarding EGA so you might just as well wait until the EGA is ensured and place your order at that time.

1. Yes, having to create "waves" of access based on the date you happened to pre-order the game is idiotic and goes against even their own testing in beta. :mad:

2. No, everyone should just chill and just realize that the want this to be a flawless launch (nothing like WoW) and not tax the network and servers too much.

:D

No and anyone who thinks it will is Idiotic

well for server stability it would hurt them more to open up the servers completly, if they just tell us what wave we are in, and how many waves a day they are going to try and do, failing things that noone is to blame for, we would all just have to sit and deal with the day or wave we are delt. as it is everyone is eger to play and putting there life on hold waiting for something that could be days away.

1. This staggering stuff should have been disclosed when preorders started. If your servers cannot handle the load get more powerful servers and more of them. Blizzard handled their MMO launch much better IMO.

The "staggering stuff" was disclosed: "Early access will be granted on first come, first serve basis".

Edited by WereMops

I would say 1. Because it shouldn't be waves it should be by the months. Those who pre - ordered in july should get in first, and then the following months. Not "We are letting people in by waves, and someone who pre- ordered two months before you has a chance on getting in before you." Honestly be fair!

No because after a month or so, who started when wont even matter and you wont be able to tell who started early or not.

Go to any MMO after a bit of time and tell me you can pick out someone who started a few days before someone else.

While I don't care for it as I wanted to level as a group with my guild mates and the staggered start makes that near impossible - as has been pointed out those were the terms when I bought the game.

What concerns me is why bioware feels it's necessary. After months of testing and a couple of stress weekends - they should know if there systems will handle the load or not. If not - staggering the start the first few days isn't going to solve the issue. Come the 20th if they can't handle it - they are going to crash.

IMHO - they just aggravated some portion of their customers for no real value in return.

Just my $0.02

No because after a month or so, who started when wont even matter and you wont be able to tell who started early or not.

Go to any MMO after a bit of time and tell me you can pick out someone who started a few days before someone else.

Yeah, impossible to tell really. Server firsts don't mean squat, since people will be too busy playing the game the right way to care. :)

- Elim