Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Can we have Server Merges after the first month?

Miffy

Would be nice if they could create instances on the fly based on a higher pop count. At this point I think it's needed until the game settles in. I hate waiting in line as much as the next person but I hate not being able to get a group together in less than 5 minutes of announcing LFG. Also would be nice if we could switch (channels) instances to be in a more populated area if we so choose and the pop count is healthy.

Common sense. Of everyone who makes the purchase, there are those who don't like it. Of everyone who makes the purchase, there are those who don't want to pay to play.

There is -always- a dropoff after the first month, before subscriptions tend to rise again due to positive word of mouse on the internet fora.

"Common sense" is never a valid argument.

It's what people say when they can't back up their point.

Common sense. Of everyone who makes the purchase, there are those who don't like it. Of everyone who makes the purchase, there are those who don't want to pay to play.

There is -always- a dropoff after the first month, before subscriptions tend to rise again due to positive word of mouse on the internet fora.

So how many people dont like it?

So how many people dont want to play?

You cant answer these because there is no hard numbers, you are just speculating.

The only people thinking this game is dying are the ones sitting at 50 wondering where everyone is.

I made alts for that reason. Guess what? It didn't help. Hardly no one anywhere. I don't want to roll on a different server because that would make all my gained legacy pointless, among other things.

I'm not saying the game is dying but some servers are, if not already prctically dead, there's just too many of them for a game this new.

This really confuses me because my server is very well populated. It always makes me wonder and believe that its nothing but QQ from people who dont understand that the game is vast, and until everyone hits lvl50 there wont be loads of people in one place. Edited by Nemmar

This really confuses me because my server is very well populated.

Well you just answered your own dilemma. YOUR server is well populated, but that doesn't mean everyone elses is. Next time you login into the game I suggest you check out server selection. Notice when some servers say light or standard (hint: this means not very well populated) while others say heavy or very heavy (propably the server you're playing on).

"Common sense" is never a valid argument.

It's what people say when they can't back up their point.

If they'd release the data, I could back it up and you'd be eating crow again for the next week, as is always the case with degenerate trolls.

3 phases of new MMO's.

1. Early Access - WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT TO PLAY OPEN 1,000 servers I don't care. There has to be room for me to play, it's not fair. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Queue times - WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Open more servers I want to play and I don't want to wait. I would rather play by myself than wait in a queue. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

3. Month after launch - WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH All the servers are dead, you made too many I can't believe you fail this hard. This game is dying and you don't even care. Why make so many of them? I told you I would sit in a queue to avoid having this issue in a month or two. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I could never run a MMO because I would have access and street information to these peoples houses. I would be in prison.

Well you just answered your own dilemma. YOUR server is well populated, but that doesn't mean everyone elses is. Next time you login into the game I suggest you check out server selection. Notice when some servers say light or standard (hint: this means not very well populated) while others say heavy or very heavy (propably the server you're playing on).

I love this attitude of oh well I don't have that problem so no one else could possibly.

Well said :)

3 phases of new MMO's.

1. Early Access - WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH I WANT TO PLAY OPEN 1,000 servers I don't care. There has to be room for me to play, it's not fair. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Queue times - WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Open more servers I want to play and I don't want to wait. I would rather play by myself than wait in a queue. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

3. Month after launch - WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH All the servers are dead, you made too many I can't believe you fail this hard. This game is dying and you don't even care. Why make so many of them? I told you I would sit in a queue to avoid having this issue in a month or two. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I could never run a MMO because I would have access and street information to these peoples houses. I would be in prison.

Please someone sticky this for future reference. And I do agree on your last comment...

If they'd release the data, I could back it up and you'd be eating crow again for the next week, as is always the case with degenerate trolls.

So again you're basically admitting without hard numbers you're just pulling this out of your a**?

Yet you accuse other people of being trolls?

Great logic you have there.

3 phases of new MMO's.

thats it!

- chose a high populated server at start

- ???

- PROFIT

3 phases of new MMO's.

LOL, so, so true. Game developers have the patience of saints, IMHO.

I wouldn't be eating crow, I didn't throw my hat into either circle of opinion.

I simply stated that common sense is never a valid argument.

Think of me less as someone who has an opinion and more someone who just likes to poke holes in others arguments, whether I agree with them or not.

All discussions should be backed up by evidence.

If no evidence exists for either opinion, no opinion should be made one way or the other.

Every MMO makes a big mistake of creating too many servers at launch, the population drops off after the first month (which is normal as not everyone who buys the game will like it) and lots of servers become dead. The developers see merges as some sort of failure, so they fail to merge them and lots more people leave because they're sick of being on a dead server. The game ends up dying because most people have left purely because they have no one to play with.

The servers are becoming less and less populated, there are many reasons for this which people will flame me for I'm sure. That doesn't stop the fact that it is happening and it will drop off even more once the game requires you to pay for the first time. This isn't a doom and gloom thread, it's just what happens and we need server merges to keep the population high, especially in the lower levels. It isn't like too high of a population would be an issue seeing as you can clone the zones.

where is the evidence of this? every time i bring up the server selection screen...no matter what time of day, the majority of servers are at medium to heavy......my server in particular is usually at heavy or full.

Not saying I agree with the op, but I frequent this page and it outlines "soft" statistics on server health and overall regional health of server populations. The trend does "look" (IMO) downward.

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us

these servers cant hold alot of ppl jus go to the fleet with 30 other ppl its a lag fest

Funny Last night I was on Imerial Fleet with 290 others.. Everything seemed fine with me.. No stuttering, no lag... Smooth gameplay. Must just be you.

as to the OP... 1st they need to get rid of the instance zones and see if this helps. If the pops are still low then yes I agree BW need to merge side or allow server to free transfer to a Med pop server or something. Blizzard did that many times and it worked out great... Just a idea...

They won't even touch the servers until at least the 2nd month of subscriptions (February) because they won't have the true numbers of people playing until then.

On the server I play on though, it's nothing but quiet. At least 280 people in fleet during peak and 80-90 people on the planets. Having more though doesn't guarantee a group. I can still spam general for an hour LFG.

I do get a lower FPS on the fleet than other areas. On the planets I'm usually on 90-110 FPS and around 30 on fleet in high populated areas (like the GTN stations and the pvp quest station).

Edited by Kandorr

Well, you pretty much nailed it, and unless they do something akin to server merges, people will preach doom and gloom before long.

Rift wouldn't do server merges after the one and four month die offs and I think it alienated a fair number of players. I think at this point we can all handle the idea that every single MMO loses subs at one and four months, sure some people will call it a failure, but some fool already did on day one of early access. Server merges are a customer service step, not a failure and I think developers need to get over that concept.

Edited by Quip

3 phases of new MMO's.

Amen!!!

I never realized that some MMO players are so damn OCD! And half crazy. Seriously, some of the most ungrateful and unsatisfied people on the damn planet!

Edited by Darkeus

The only people thinking this game is dying are the ones sitting at 50 wondering where everyone is.

I play Republic and wonder where everyone is, wish there was some way to have the servers dedicated to one faction and then just cross realm the zones so every server can play together.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.