The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Nope THAT it does not. What it proves is that we have to stay vigilant because it proves oversights at least! Whoever put this together should have been fired. This is emberassing tbh. QA?? I would take more pride in my work and thus this could never happen in my field of work. Passionate about the game? We ll not the guy that bodged the stations together that one is for sure!

Of course it proves it. Orbital Stations where highly untested. They are lag fests, introduce pointless loading screens. Whoevers idea it was to require players to huddle into such a confined space with such an awfully optimized engine should be fired on the spot.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It proves that orbital stations where a rushed untested last minute feature to the game.

All metal surfaces everywhere have reflections and all reflections everywhere have this problem. The reflections are not real - they are like part of the textures or some ****.

Edited by Cicatrize

All metal surfaces everywhere have reflections and all reflections everywhere have this problem. The reflections are not real - they are like part of the textures or some ****.

THAT is why it is so emberassing. How hard is it to assign at least a different and matching 'fake' reflection for Republic players? I don't care if it's a real reflection or not as long as the illusion holds up, but this is just bad!

Of course it proves it. Orbital Stations where highly untested. They are lag fests, introduce pointless loading screens. Whoevers idea it was to require players to huddle into such a confined space with such an awfully optimized engine should be fired on the spot.

And this is ultimately the reason why, IMHO, we are being denied the higher textures. To elaborate:

On my system that can run all current PC games at max smoothly, including Crysis 2, I get rather poor performance in the fleet when there are a couple hundred players in the zone. There are constant micro-stutters. And this is on a SSD that doesn't stutter with more intensive games, MMORPGs and all.

But when the fleet has fewer players on, say less than 100, it runs rather smooth. So I can only imagine the memory problems the engine has on lower and mid range systems.

Some beta players said that even high end systems were crashing in the fleet with the high res textures enabled. I tend to believe them, given how poor this engine seems to perform.

This is no excuse, of course. Especially since they advertised, and continue to do so, with these textures and shaders. And their response has added insult to injury.

Oh well. We're all waiting for Diablo 3 and then Guild Wars 2 anyways.

THAT is why it is so emberassing. How hard is it to assign at least a different and matching 'fake' reflection for Republic players? I don't care if it's a real reflection or not as long as the illusion holds up, but this is just bad!

The fact that a 2012 AAA title with the biggest budget ever has to make fake reflections is just beyond ridiculous. I'd laugh if it didn't bother me so. I can't think of the last time I saw fake reflections in a video game.

Edited by Cicatrize

I'm running out of time to decide about continuing my subscription. I was already on the fence with the way Bioware is handling this high res texture issue (I still call false advertising). Now, with the delay of 1.1, I think I may be tipped over the fence. It seems like the best thing to do is to unsubscribe for the time being and maybe come back after 1.2 is launched, if they actually implement high res textures.

I'm running out of time to decide about continuing my subscription. I was already on the fence with the way Bioware is handling this high res texture issue (I still call false advertising). Now, with the delay of 1.1, I think I may be tipped over the fence. It seems like the best thing to do is to unsubscribe for the time being and maybe come back after 1.2 is launched, if they actually implement high res textures.

I feel the same, and by the time 1.2 is out hopefully Nvidia's next set of graphics cards as well.

I'm due an upgrade and if the High res is out then I'll have a new card to play around with.

Although this delay if 1.1 has put a bad taste in my mouth, specially since the issues about the patch were made known weeks ago apparently on the PTR forums and they only decided to pull the patch hous before it was meant to go live.

Ok now that I saw THIS.......

BIOWARE!!!!!!!!!! Enough is enough. As soon as you officially release the game in Aussie I'll be calling up the ombudsman for reporting false advertising. I warn you! Now I start taking this personal and make it a vendetta. Either you respond ASAP to our concerns with a COMMITMENT of sorts or rest assured above mentioned will happen. I cannot do anything about what all of us have encountered here so far, but I can make sure that our laws will show you, that you cannot get away with this globally.

STOP LYING-FIRE YOUR MARKETING DEPARTMENT-DO WHATEVER, but do SOMETHING!

Outrageous, disappointing and yes indeed disheartening.

SR, did you tell us gobsmack? Please respond. It is getting out of hand, and I will not just sit by and do nothing.

What part of this is making you so furious? I have watched it many times trying to see what peoples problems are. The actual gameplay sections (with UI displayed) are certainly no better than what I see everyday when I play and enjoy the game.

I would love to see you take that to the industry ombudsman and try and explain to him whats got your panties in such a bunch that you are threatening a company via a forum. lol get a grip mate.

Oh and incidently, they already retroactively responded to your threat with a COMMITMENT of sorts.

Edited by jadel

What part of this is making you so furious? I have watched it many times trying to see what peoples problems are. The actual gameplay sections (with UI displayed) are certainly no better than what I see everyday when I play and enjoy the game.

I would love to see you take that to the industry ombudsman and try and explain to him whats got your panties in such a bunch that you are threatening a company via a forum. lol get a grip mate.

Oh and incidently, they already retroactively responded to your threat with a COMMITMENT of sorts.

Everyone that says their game looks as good as the promo materials never posts screenshots. I always found that strange. Maybe 'strange' isn't the word for it... maybe it's because they're lying and there's no way they can prove that they aren't, because it's not possible. Yeah, I think those are better words.

And EAware committed to nothing. Some people just don't understand that. "Improved graphical fidelity" could be .0001% less compressed textures. Now, it could instead mean full glory, high resolution textures. I'm not saying that it will only be .0001% less compression, but they didn't promise us any more than that. When they commit to something that matters, rather than throwing PR weasel words at us, then I'll pay attention and maybe start paying them.

Everyone that says their game looks as good as the promo materials never posts screenshots. I always found that strange. Maybe 'strange' isn't the word for it... maybe it's because they're lying and there's no way they can prove that they aren't, because it's not possible. Yeah, I think those are better words.

And EAware committed to nothing. Some people just don't understand that. "Improved graphical fidelity" could be .0001% less compressed textures. Now, it could instead mean full glory, high resolution textures. I'm not saying that it will only be .0001% less compression, but they didn't promise us any more than that. When they commit to something that matters, rather than throwing PR weasel words at us, then I'll pay attention and maybe start paying them.

There has to be something seriously wrong with some of you people. The unbridled fury you guys have developed over such a small issue is incredible.

Like most people here I would quite like to have the HD textures enabled so that on the rare occasion that I zoom right in on my char I can see the full detail. Unlike some of you however I dont feel personally violated by the fact that they arent.

On to the next part where you call me a liar ...

I already posted several screenshots which look quite good to me on page 23. Heres a couple more.

How about you respond by posting a screenshot that you feel is blatant false advertising. Maybe point out something in the promo video that I should feel aggrieved about.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/screenshot2012011709411.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/screenshot2012011615325.jpg/

There has to be something seriously wrong with some of you people. The unbridled fury you guys have developed over such a small issue is incredible.

Like most people here I would quite like to have the HD textures enabled so that on the rare occasion that I zoom right in on my char I can see the full detail. Unlike some of you however I dont feel personally violated by the fact that they arent.

I already posted several screenshots which look quite good to me on page 23. Heres a couple more.

How about you respond by posting a screenshot that you feel is blatant false advertising. Maybe point out something in the promo video that I should feel aggrieved about.

This is not a small issue...

What is the point of getting good, cool looking gear when it doesnt look good? I want to see what i have earned and show it off to freinds and other players. Right now that is impossible. Im not quiting just yet. I will sub till 1.2 and see what we get.

The pics are cute. Now how about you actually do close up screen shots of your armor since that is what we are talking about. We all know the environment will not change. We are talking about the textures on the armor.

Edited by Toweleeeie

Beautiful shots. From a beautiful game. I swear people always blow things way way way out of proportion it's sad really. Thanks for posting good sir.

You need an amazing computer to run this game with the kind of quality and performance many of us want. I finally got the game to look good enough but the FPS problem remains. Some textures simply will not get sharp without too large an FPS hit (like down to 5-20, depending on how high I set aliasing/filtering) I finally just had to completely turn off anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering altogether. The low FPS is not worth it.

I only have a hd radeon 5770, so I know the game cannot look as good as it would be. I can't afford a 580 gtx or whatever those things are called.

A couple of things.

Firstly, I have no problem with people being disappointed that the zoomed right in textures arent as nice as they could be. I agree. The problem I have is with the rabid keyboard warriors throwing around claims of false advertising and threatening to take it to the authorities. Did you read the mental post I quoted on the previous page? I mean if you think that is a normal response to how pretty your in game clothes look then .. wow.

Secondly, show me the false advertising. The crazies on the last few pages have been up in arms about that gamespot video preview video. There is zero gameplay footage on that video that zooms right in like you want me to do for some reason. The fighting displayed is at a normal viewing distance much like the shots i already posted and it doesnt look any better. Is there some other series of shots that you feel fit the description better? If so .. show me please.

Everyone knows that the HD textures arent in game, its been done to death and the devs have responded. The question I have is why does it matter so much to you. Why are you spending all this time zoomed in on you character.

Heres another close up one (theres already a couple I already posted you can look at).

I turned like that to show the logo on the shoulder.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/screenshot2012011711293.jpg/

A couple of things.

Firstly, I have no problem with people being disappointed that the zoomed right in textures arent as nice as they could be. I agree. The problem I have is with the rabid keyboard warriors throwing around claims of false advertising and threatening to take it to the authorities. Did you read the mental post I quoted on the previous page? I mean if you think that is a normal response to how pretty your in game clothes look then .. wow.

Secondly, show me the false advertising. The crazies on the last few pages have been up in arms about that gamespot video preview video. There is zero gameplay footage on that video that zooms right in like you want me to do for some reason. The fighting displayed is at a normal viewing distance much like the shots i already posted and it doesnt look any better. Is there some other series of shots that you feel fit the description better? If so .. show me please.

Everyone knows that the HD textures arent in game, its been done to death and the devs have responded. The question I have is why does it matter so much to you. Why are you spending all this time zoomed in on you character.

Heres another close up one (theres already a couple I already posted you can look at).

Its not about why people care, they clearly do and thats what matters. Characters look very poor especailly on large screens. To me its the worst thing they have done at launch and will be the reason I do not continue to subscribe. You can not mind how the game looks but that doesnt make it less impprtant to other people. I will agree some of the responses are quitr troubling though :p.

Secondly, show me the false advertising.

Here, pull up the fullscreen on this.

But that's dialogue cutscene, you say! You'd probably be right, unless that's some kind of an emote.

Take a look at her again.

That's not a cutscene. That's the default stance for a drawn double-bladed lightsaber.

Wait a minute, that robe looks familiar.

"You need an amazing computer to run this game with the kind of quality and performance many of us want."

There is a reason for low/med/high...sorry as of 1.1 low/high.. high being the new med. For what people want does not draw huge FPS. I get tried of always looking at my toon, other toons, their armor blurry and only seeing it in some cut scene nice.

But this is not going to change people. We have seen already its all about what they want not us. The clue is listen to how they talk, making it SOUND like something could change in the future.

This thing here will not make me quit. It does bother me so, seeing what it did look like now being forced to lower graphics. Most never seen it. Like most will never know MED=HIGH. They will just know MED just never worked. Its sad you pay and for some hard earned money and your voice has no say. Unless you agree with what they say already then just keep giving them your money to play their way.

Here, pull up the fullscreen on this.

But that's dialogue cutscene, you say! You'd probably be right, unless that's some kind of an emote.

Take a look at her again.

That's not a cutscene. That's the default stance for a drawn double-bladed lightsaber.

Wait a minute, that robe looks familiar.

Awesome post, man.

I wan't to take some screenshots of my trooper when I get home. Powertech Boots look like a BROWN MESS, instead of brown boots with metal stripes and red genr's.

And my Crusader Gauntlets are a blurry green-brown ****.

I dont have much leather armor to compare but heres one.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/screenshot2012011712024.jpg/

Does it look as good? No.

Does it look terrible? Absolutely not.

Is the one you linked from a cutscene? I dont know and neither do you?

It also looks a bit better in my screenshots folder than it does on imageshack. Sharper and more colorful.

A couple of things.

You don't look at your character zoomed in or care about the awful textures, we get it too.

See the thing is though, I do look at my character zoomed in, and I do care about the crap textures, you don't fine, we do.

Edited by United_Strafes

I dont have much leather armor to compare but heres one.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/screenshot2012011712024.jpg/

Does it look as good? No.

Does it look terrible? Absolutely not.

Is the one you linked from a cutscene? I dont know and neither do you?

It also looks a bit better in my screenshots folder than it does on imageshack. Sharper and more colorful.

Obviously you are using external improval (as we can see in your FPS indicator, you are using either Nvidia or ATI tools). Now, please, DISABLE all an.filtering, antialiasing, mipmaping, LOD, etc from your card.

Why? Because we want to see the ACTUAL graphics the game offers, not the ones with make up all over.

And you will get images like the ones linked in the first post.

The fact is: With ALL SETTINGS high this game looks like some 2005 free MMO

No antialising

Crappy character textures

FPS issues even on high end rigs

Obviously you are using external improval (as we can see in your FPS indicator, you are using either Nvidia or ATI tools). Now, please, DISABLE all an.filtering, antialiasing, mipmaping, LOD, etc from your card.

Why? Because we want to see the ACTUAL graphics the game offers, not the ones with make up all over.

No antialising

Um no that's just FRAPS in the corner.

No antialising

The FPS overlay number is in upper left corner is just FRAPS running in the background......