[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I'm not as upset as most people seem to be over this (although i do have the system to handle the higher res textures) But I'm curious, if the higher resolution textures were used in beta, why remove the option to use them entirely?

Beta ran just fine for me and many others. Don't neuter the game for those of us who have spent a fortune on our gaming PC's just because not everyone has one, that's what lower settings are for.

Loving the game either way, but some of my armor looks like a blurry mess.

The game ran better for me in beta with high res textures. This atlas crap is killing us.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a slightly off-topic note, the character detail isn't the only thing they're downgrading outside of "controlled situations". People have been complaining that the "High" shadows look blocky when you look at them more closely, and that they've been scaled down won't come as a surprise to most.

However here's the interesting part. If you go to a cantina, the game still seems to load the original high shadows for your viewing pleasure. The moment I cross the threshold of the cantina I see character shadows which are much cleaner and crisper, but also several times as intensive on the GPU.

So if anyone was wondering why they were having such high GPU useage / lower performance specifically inside the cantina's... the answer is that it's probably the higher shadows being loaded.

It also shows very clearly just what awful resource-hogs the shadows in this game are.

And: Single threaded? Really? Even games on my Iphone is multithreaded. I have 4 (physical) and 8 (virtual) cores on my 2yo CPU. The "new" CPU's in 2012 will have up to double of this.

And the "biggest game of 2012" - is Single Threaded?

Wouch..

~~DukeP~~

And: Single threaded? Really? Even games on my Iphone is multithreaded. I have 4 (physical) and 8 (virtual) cores on my 2yo CPU. The "new" CPU's in 2012 will have up to double of this.

And the "biggest game of 2012" - is Single Threaded?

Wouch..

~~DukeP~~

Uhhh im getting 40-70 percent usage across all 4 cores...?

Doesn't mean it's multi-threaded.....

But a usage of 30-90 threads in total by both processes pretty much means that.

That being mere numbers doesn't mean the multi-threading is working well, though. There are countless ways to implement it wrong. :)

That being mere numbers doesn't mean the multi-threading is working well, though. There are countless ways to implement it wrong. :)

It's still not multi-threading regardless if it puts the load over 4 cores or 4000 for that matter, every game does this, even older games so saying it has support for it is wrong.

The Hero Engine which Bioware picked ( Which was unfinshed at the time ) is only single-threaded. Bioware claimed that to make it multi-threaded they have to run two swtor.exe proccesses and have them communicate when each other.

The hero engine site themselves claim that Bioware used the engine before it was even finished and optimized for Performance and security.

Hero engine also states that Bioware have not have a code drop / update to the engine since 2007, because they have heavily modified the engine and can no longer receive updates from it's developers. As such, many of the improvements and finished parts of the engine are not in the one used currently in SWTOR.

Some - including HE-Cooper - seem to mix up the wording.

Single threading means a process uses only one single thread over its execution time.

Multi threading means a process uses multiple threads.

There is a pretty common misuse of the term "multi threading" where instead "parallel execution" is meant. Parallel execution is just something that is possible with multi threading.

Edited by Dextral

Hello... We give them money every month if you did not notice.

It's not F2P.

See I am at the point with our subscriptions where I happily pay 5 bucks a month more if it helps to get hires back. In actual fact as wrong, ethically, as it may sound. If I can buy happiness with money it;s the best money ever spent. Once done I don't ask where I lieft the dollars as long as I am happy. At present not happy with 2004 style textures. Change it! Charge me! I don't care. Just fix that lousy issue BioWare.

See I am at the point with our subscriptions where I happily pay 5 bucks a month more if it helps to get hires back. In actual fact as wrong, ethically, as it may sound. If I can buy happiness with money it;s the best money ever spent. Once done I don't ask where I lieft the dollars as long as I am happy. At present not happy with 2004 style textures. Change it! Charge me! I don't care. Just fix that lousy issue BioWare.

Well, maybe they should remove all the options just so people like you will spend $100 a month to have them.

Hope there's a lot of you, because the majority of us will at that time be leaving and not coming back.

I don't pay extra for something other major mmos include in their normal price.

Anyone know if they're still planning to include high-res textures in 1.2? Can't seem to find the comment the dev made.

All they said was they're looking at improving graphical fidelity, they never mentioned bringing back those textures for gameplay sadly.

I'm hoping as they continue to optimize their engine (it's becoming clear they weren't optimized for release,) they'll gradually improve the graphic options.

I honestly think they've got people rewriting large portions of their engine code as they realize just how badly it is performing. I'm thinking there won't be much left of the original Hero engine in a year or so.

All they said was they're looking at improving graphical fidelity, they never mentioned bringing back those textures for gameplay sadly.
those "textures" (that aren't textures at all*) would kill virtually eveyones PCs in normal gameplay.

that said i actually support them adding the option in the ini (but not in the interface) just as long as no one is allowed to complain about the inevitable game breaking performance hit afterwards.

* the game uses Granny scalable models (which i've worked with in the past). the highest fidelity level of those models is what you see in the cut scene. these are not solely "textures". you are talking much higher polycount per actor and indeed you can see this increased level of detail on gear during cut scenes. people, misinformed people who think they know what they are talking about, seem to think "textures" add polys to a model ...they don't. textures are merely the surface painting on a model. the increase in detail you see in cut scenes is not due solely to an increase in "texture detail" instead its due to the fact a different version of the entire model is being shown.

Edited by Sleekit

those "textures" (that aren't textures at all*) would kill virtually eveyones PCs in normal gameplay.

you are right about the technical details, but many players from the beta playing with these "textures" ran the game fine. if anyones computer can't handle it, then they can stay on "medium" settings, can't they? it's not brain surgery.:rolleyes:

you are right about the technical details, but many players from the beta playing with these "textures" ran the game fine. if anyones computer can't handle it, then they can stay on "medium" settings, can't they? it's not brain surgery.:rolleyes:

I had no "issues" in the beta when I played it. The game looked far better then.

Shoot I think AoC is almost on par with TOR now, but before release in the beta, man the game looked amazing.