Mr. Stephen Reid: Please show this to BioWare and ask them to explain it?

Proto

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate your response, lecto, but if you recall Reid's post from later that day he indicated that Bioware could not get this done until "sometime in Q1". That is a really vague time window and in my experience in gaming it means Summer 2012. I'm sorry if their answer was acceptable to you, but to me and a lot of other people it isn't an answer at all, it is a cop-out.

All we want is an option to enable high res graphics just like any other game. If they're so afraid of it harming machines, just set the default graphics to low for 1st launch so that people who don't know any better simply won't ever experience the game in all it's glory. For the rest of us, I prefer the former.

I will agree that Bioware are for some inexplicable reason trying to "wrap players in cotton wool" by preventing them from accessing higher rez textures which could impede performance.

Why they cannot just re-enable the high rez textures feature we don't know. It may be that the current state of the game for some reason no longer completely supports those textures (e.g. newly added textures don't have high rez versions).

However, they HAVE said that they are looking into it further. So really, it's no use demanding for anything more right at this moment. Let's be a little reasonable here, perhaps at LEAST give them a month to see what happens. And then, if nothing, remind them.

Above all else, at least try to be rational and reasonable.

Edited by Tarka

Come on guys, everyone knows that if they included high-rez textures, EVERYONE WOULD BE FORCED TO USE THEM!

That's how it works right?

It's not like someone who didn't want to or couldn't use them could go to some options screen and turn them off right?

"Some people can't run it, so no one gets it" seems like a legitimate and logical reason for not including hi-rez textures.

Here's a quote from Stephen Reid:

"In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs."

He didn't say "if your PC was powerful enough, it could handle it," which is your assumption. He said high rez textures caused problems "even on powerful PCs."

Reading comprehension FTW.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisar

I need to see any and all misleading videos showing high res textures removed from the site and any advertisement spots. I need to see a public statement from someone at Bioware (I don't care who) admit that high res textures will never be in the game because their engine cannot support it.

If not, seriously looking into this whole annoying thing about filing a complaint and letting the proper legal channels know what is going on. There are rules and laws for a reason people. (The only reason I have not done it is because I am lazy, which is not a good excuse to not fight for my rights)

Same thing with voting, if you do not vote for the President you can't complain or make a change that you think will be better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgon

Tell me you are kidding.

-----

I am sorry did I stutter? No, of course I am not kidding.

ahh so you're an arm chair lawyer and developer? good to know! ill inform CNN and update my twitter

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1499874#edit1499874

That screenshot is from a cinematic in-game. As stated, cinematic scenes use high resolution textures because we have control over how many characters are rendered on-screen at once. This is how the game was always intended to look in cinematics. We did not 'remove' high resolution textures - they were always in the game for use in cinematics.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

Note the bits in yellow.

Edited by Tarka

Many people are happy with the game and do not wish for a refund because of the high res texture situation. I wish them well. However, some people feel cheated. This information is for them.

I recently got spoke with EA customer service, and got my refund from Origin (it should take effect within 5-10 business days). I calmly explained that the textures used to advertise the game are denied to users during their play experience. The guy on the phone agreed that that could be considered false advertising, and gave me my refund. Took about 20 minutes. Very nice customer service!

I love Bioware, but I won't stand for being deceived. Even if they had the best intentions, the fact that they advertised a game with graphics they deny their users is unacceptable. For those who don't care, I hope you continue to enjoy your play experience. For those who do care, let EA/Bioware know by calmly and reasonably requesting a refund. You'll get it!

"In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs."

He didn't say "if your PC was powerful enough, it could handle it," which is your assumption. He said high rez textures caused problems "even on powerful PCs."

exactly. it was random enough that they needed to take them out and figure out what the deal is so they can implement it for as many people as possible without it causing issues(even on high end machines) and let people know what the thresholds are for hardware/and or software.

some people in this thread really need to freakin relax.

You guys need to stop wasting time and effort responding to the BDF posters. They are just trolling you. Anyone that says they don't understand how Bioware is advertising high res graphics in their actual gameplay videos is lying.

I need to see any and all misleading videos showing high res textures removed from the site and any advertisement spots. I need to see a public statement from someone at Bioware (I don't care who) admit that high res textures will never be in the game because their engine cannot support it.

If not, seriously looking into this whole annoying thing about filing a complaint and letting the proper legal channels know what is going on. There are rules and laws for a reason people. (The only reason I have not done it is because I am lazy, which is not a good excuse to not fight for my rights)

Same thing with voting, if you do not vote for the President you can't complain or make a change that you think will be better.

You haven't done it because no one would take your claim. It's bogus. It is internet lawyering. Watching Law and Order doesn't make you a master of the legal system good sir.

Edited by Saber_Six

exactly. it was random enough that they needed to take them out and figure out what the deal is so they can implement it for as many people as possible without it causing issues(even on high end machines) and let people know what the thresholds are for hardware/and or software.

some people in this thread really need to freakin relax.

Given that even now the textures in the game are possibly causing memory leaks on lower end systems, it shouldn't be surprising that they pulled the plug on allowing hi rez textures in constant use.

Edited by Tarka

You guys need to stop wasting time and effort responding to the BDF posters. They are just trolling you. Anyone that says they don't understand how Bioware is advertising high res graphics in their actual gameplay videos is lying.

anyone who doesn't read the dev tracker and comprehend what is being said, clearly shouldn't be posting threads complaining about things that have clearly been stated are being worked on. ;)

anyone who doesn't read the dev tracker and comprehend what is being said, clearly shouldn't be posting threads complaining about things that have clearly been stated are being worked on. ;)

A lot of things are being worked on, some classes have main quest bugs that doesn't mean remove the class from the game. I had High res in beta I should have them now.

It's the end of the world.

The game has better graphics but there's a problem at the moment and it's being worked on.

I can't enjoy the game at this graphical quality which is still better than most games out there.

/sarcasm

People dont just buy games for gameplay.... if that was the case people would be okay with black and white atari style.

Such a ignorant post I mean comon. And the textures worked just fine in beta for months then poof gone for retail lol right.

Even with the high res textures swtor looks bad compared to just about every mmo released from 2007 till.... well now. And tera and GW2 will further that comment lol.

Bioware dumped 80 mil into this game only to come out with something that has terrible graphics based on games back in early 2000-2005 era of mmo's.

Voice acting from named celebs is spendy though.

Edited by Barracudastr

Come on guys, everyone knows that if they included high-rez textures, EVERYONE WOULD BE FORCED TO USE THEM!

That's how it works right?

It's not like someone who didn't want to or couldn't use them could go to some options screen and turn them off right?

"Some people can't run it, so no one gets it" seems like a legitimate and logical reason for not including hi-rez textures.

Actually, it seems to be a pretty consistent message from them. They also removed the optional color match feature because some people (of which, I never met a single one of these people in my 6 months of testing) felt that not seeing their boots change dramatically was detrimental to their progression-centric feelings.

I do find it amusing that he claims that the high res textures were removed because they cause performance issues on "powerful PCs", but the FPS issues are just experienced by a few sad folk with "low end PCs."

"Classic Beta" high res melts supercomputers, but "What We Really Meant" high res ... well that runs at 110 FPS on your graphing calculator!

A lot of things are being worked on, some classes have main quest bugs that doesn't mean remove the class from the game. I had High res in beta I should have them now.

well if you feel like whining about something that's getting fixed go ahead. if others feel like cancelling for something that's getting fixed, they too can go ahead. it really doesn't hurt me, however stop making new threads about it, post in an existing thread. all this clutter for crap that's being taken care of(just not to your timeframe likes), is really getting old. we KNOW how you guys feel. the rest of us are content to wait, since they HAVE answered .

i don't know why some of you are so continually suprised when you experience backlashes on the forums from people who are sick of the crying about issues being taken care of.

<----- 6 months in beta, Radeon HD 4850 (that's right, 4850), no issues running the high rez textures. Shadows, yeah, those ate up my card for breakfast, but hey, it's an old card and everyone knows they can't seem to get the shadows optimized.

Let me repeat: I had zero issues running the high rez textures for 6 months on my HD 4850.

How do you possibly go into every thread and defend every topic? Doesn't it get old and boring? I mean, there's no way you even believe what you're typing half the time. Geez.

LOL. How do you go in and bash every time?

I still say this topic is meh.

<----- 6 months in beta, Radeon HD 4850 (that's right, 4850), no issues running the high rez textures. Shadows, yeah, those ate up my card for breakfast, but hey, it's an old card and everyone knows they can't seem to get the shadows optimized.

Let me repeat: I had zero issues running the high rez textures for 6 months on my HD 4850.

Whilst I can appreciate the fact that you may not have experienced problems. One cannot really just assume that everyone else experienced the same level of performance.

My point is that perhaps, just perhaps, Bioware wasn't happy with the general level of performance when using hi-rez textures. And hence pulled them because of that.

Sure, that means YOU are being stiffed because of problems with others pc's, and yes using hi-rez textures should be done at the players own risk, but wouldn't it be better if hi rez textures weren't causing the issues that Bioware claims they were?

Now, wouldn't it be reasonable to put the pitchforks down for a small time, and at least see what the results are of these new "tweaks" that are coming in?

Edited by Tarka