Mr. Stephen Reid: Please show this to BioWare and ask them to explain it?

Proto

YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eu0tFcZM6w&feature=related

and on the BioWare website:

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/trooper-progression

This and dozens of other "actual gameplay" videos endorsed by BioWare that were released prior to the game's launch that showed high-fidelity, quality rendering of the game engine are nowhere to be seen. As a matter of fact, I recall your PR post that said:

I'd like to know (now that the NDA and beta are long gone) how I was able to play your game using high-res textures for nearly 5 months in beta along with thousands of others - with zero issues? I have the distinct feeling that the powers that be (not of your doing) are not being forthcoming in telling us what really happened and what the developers are going to do to solve it ASAP? I'm upset because I am not getting what was marketed and what I paid for coming into this release.

I would appreciate an answer. Thanks for putting up with so much backlash, I realize it must be a hellish job right about now. We just want real answers and solutions.

Well said,

Infact the last few weeks of Beta I made a very verbose and detailed thread RE: poor textures. Not a single response came from Bioware then, because they knew.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If not, seriously looking into this whole annoying thing about filing a complaint and letting the proper legal channels know what is going on. There are rules and laws for a reason people. (The only reason I have not done it is because I am lazy, which is not a good excuse to not fight for my rights)

Well, it looks like they've a whole procedure outlined for you, titled 20. Dispute Resolution By Binding Arbitration. It's right there in the terms of service, and boy is it ugly. :)

Sorry I will never yell at a game company or ANY company that pushes a release back due to something working incorrectly, heck EA pushed SSX back so it doesn't release at the same time as one of their other games, why force out a game that should have been in beta AT LEAST 1 more month?

You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new. - Steve Jobs

Yes, I get that, but at the same time their reputation and subscribers go down the toilet.........ask AoC, Aion, and STO.

Yes, its a big gamble (see my previous post). Sometimes they win, some times they lose.

It depends on the circumstances as to just how much flexibility a company has when considering whether or not to push dates back.

Sometimes it's just not possible to push it back anymore. Commonly referred to as a "**** or bust" situation.

Sorry I will never yell at a game company or ANY company that pushes a release back due to something working incorrectly, heck EA pushed SSX back so it doesn't release at the same time as one of their other games, why force out a game that should have been in beta AT LEAST 1 more month?

I don't think so. It's got a some bugs but i'm glad it came out when it did.

Folks really need to give it a rest. The high-res textures are, what, 25% more crisp than what we have in normal gameplay now? That's a huge deal?

I don't play with the camera zoomed in close -- finite details are lost in a firefight. If you're playing where you need to see armor textures that are super-sharp instead of simply very-sharp then you should re-evaluate why you are playing. The time when graphic fidelity is most important is in cutscenes, where blocking and "shots" can be pulled in tight to a character -- and that's precisely when we get high-res textures.

That said... Bioware should probably just add the option for ultra graphics back in, and let people select it at their peril. Maybe their machine can handle it. Maybe not. Maybe the Hero engine can handle it... maybe not. The risk is that something will break down more easily or more quickly than with not-ultra graphics, and these forums will be lit up by complainers anyway. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, and all that.

Any way and why I say this, because no one and I mean no one has yet made a justified claim towards the fact that they are fasle advertising high res textures as if it is in the game already, they don't put any disclaimers other than the recent one which will most likely have an ingame(well I take it as footage trailer were it's not cutscenes.) vid were they have high res textures.

So when someone looks off of that video and claim the game has awesome high res textures they are sitting there looking like complete idiots when the load the game up.

Do what you have to do and say what you have to say, but some of you guys have to let go of your pride and step back into reality.

Which of course won't happen but it is what it really is they fasle advertising ATM...deal with it lol.

Peace out and take care guys.

Edited by Paralassa
insults

I'm just demonstrating the silliness of their stated big brother position. Apparently it is 'irrational and extreme'. Seriously, I think it is. They are stepping in and telling us what our own system can or cannot handle performance wise. And this is the only issue they choose to do this over. You're welcome to try to run the game on any old PC you want and suffer poor performance, but we're not going to let you try and have the best possible visual experience. Plenty of games release with only a small amount of systems able to handle the graphic settings maxed out. Their position doesn't make any sense when the functionality is in the game. They had to put in effort to remove it even.

IF the issues with performance is just generally a drop in performance and not related to something that Bioware could fix, then yes, I agree it would be nice to have the option.

BUT, we don't really know that much detail about the situation. Perhaps the performance issues where something that Bioware felt they COULD fix, but just didn't have the time before launch. And if that was the case, then yes, they should be open and honest.

Honesty wins hearts.

I'm not really defending Bioware's decision, I'm just trying to point out that unlike certain other decisions the reasoning that they gave is at least plausible.

I never said high textures worked for everyone nor would I even expect them too. As you increase the performance requirements, more and more people will have problems. That's why you have the option to adjust your settings. If the problem truly is because they think no one has a system that can handle the textures then I'm calling foul. Like I've tried to say their position is odd and doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't have an issue with them doing it as I believe they probably have a good reason for it and 'online experience subject to change'. I just don't think their explaination about it makes sense.

The thing is, you are relying on other peoples opinions that the hi rez textures worked on their machine and then forming the conclusion that all that is needed is a form of "slider" to adjust the settings.

But what I'm trying to point out is that the situation may be more "volatile" than that.

However, in the end they made a business decision, and now they have to live with the consequences.

Any way and why I say this, because no one and I mean no one has yet made a justified claim towards the fact that they are fasle advertising high res textures as if it is in the game already, they don't put any disclaimers other than the recent one which will most likely have an ingame(well I take it as footage trailer were it's not cutscenes.) vid were they have high res textures.

So when someone looks off of that video and claim the game has awesome high res textures they are sitting there looking like complete idiots when the load the game up.

Do what you have to do and say what you have to say, but some of you guys have to let go of your pride and step back into reality.

Which of course won't happen but it is what it really is they fasle advertising ATM...deal with it lol.

Peace out and take care guys.

Seriously though, if you REALLY think you have a valid legal claim to make, no one is stopping you.

Take it from someone who has had to deal with irrate customers. Being seen as "reasonable" can often get you a LOT further than just being downright irrational, stubborn and refusing to give any ground.

Fact: yes, it sucks the hi rez textures aren't already in the game, but the devs have said that they are looking into making the graphics look better.

Edited by Paralassa
reply to insult

I didn't quit because of graphics, but I can understand those that care about it more than me. I quit because there was no community and the gameplay was bad.

That said, I think this high-rez problem is bigger than just enabling it on individual clients. Either it isn't possible to enable it just for those than can handle it, or the whole platform is unstable at the core.

I built my comp this fall so it would be good enough to play the newest games, not just TOR, so I know it shouldn't have any problems with this game. But, even so, my computer ran so hot (fans going crazy) that I had to make sure it wasn't overheating. This is with the current graphics.

Personally I think BW ****ed up with the hero-engine and have realized they have two choices, bad and worse. By removing the high-rez textures they will alienate some of the gamers, but if they use high-rez they will probably lose more from computers breaking. I seriously doubt BW can fix this in the next few months. It will probably take more like a year since I think it is a fundamental flaw with the engine and code. Not an easy fix in other words.

Apparently, Bioware found the time to delete my post and warn me (ok i went too far with it) but they cant really answer here :|

I usually dont care about graphics / visuals at all and I love /re-/playing older games but the thing we have here is false advertising and nothing more. They have a mediocre engine in use (the facial emotions are decent) and the textures are just terrible. Normally, I would say to myself that it doesnt matter that much.

But how the hell did these textures work on medium class rigs in the beta? I upgraded my pc less than a month ago and it really pains me to see that such a game looks just ... terrible. Its not about the visuals of a game being important or not. We are talking about bad management, lying to your community and the people that are currently paying you for this game.

This is wrong on so many levels.

:mon_mad:

Edited by dotNex

How Bioware can improve performance: put the game models on the damn disc none of this stream the textures from the server BS.

They claim that this is not happening. I don't know one way or the other, myself. All I know is that the servers can't seem to handle ANY load at all and that somehow, some people being able to run the high rez textures on their machines (even old gpu like mine) in beta without problems would apparently cause problems on live.

One the one hand (BW's story), 1 + 1 = banana

On the other hand (tin foil hat time), 1 + 1 = 2

But hey, I'm no programmer, so maybe the answer really is banana.

Edited by Vodalus