Mr. Stephen Reid: Please show this to BioWare and ask them to explain it?

Proto

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And medium textures cause issues in low end machines so let's take them out too? High shadows seem to kill everyone's performance so they need to go as well. If you play at high resolution with a low end video card it could be a problem so let's only support 800x600. The justification doesn't make sense.

Firstly textures of "medium" depth may still have issues and yet the severity of those issues may be considered by Bioware as "acceptable" given the circumstances.

So let's not resort to irrational and extreme arguments eh?

That just makes your own argument lose credibility.

If the textures are already in the client and people used them in beta without any issues then let the players decide if they want to take the risk of impacting their performance. Call it the 'ultra crazy high textures' option and put in a warning. Seems pretty simple. My best conspiracy theory guess is that it's not a customer PC performance issue, but rather a game render has bugs related to large textures issue. It's one thing if large textures cause low FPS and another if the client starts crashing or locking up.

The conclusion you appear to be jumping to here is that EVERYONE in beta never had any issues with the textures.

But my question is: How do you know that is true in every instance?

Or are you just going off what a few people in this thread have said?

This is like when someone points out a bug in an MMO, and someone else just claims that everything is fine because it works fine on THEIR pc.

Edited by Tarka

Defend BW all you want. But please, don't tell me what I would or wouldn't do. You are not me, you don't know me. You disagree with me in this thread and feel that the only way to defend the honor of BW is to attack me. That doesn't work.

Attack you? I'm not attacking you, but it is true. If the game did not run optimally with these textures in, you people complaining about not being able to turn them on would just complain that it caused your machine to bog down.

QQ moar.

maybe after beta they lost the manual of HEROengine and they dont have a clue of how load hi-rez texture...

Or a drunk programmer erase all the texture from the game, and they just manage to do some texture that they use in cinematics XD

Edited by Isgarot

Just FYI, I don't care what Stephan "Twitter is my home" Reid calls it, forgetting to remove one of the options from a UI drop-down is not a bug. The UI drop-down was working as intended. The fact that they forgot to edit it when they yanked the textures does not qualify it as a bug.

But, hey, if the spin gets people defending their honor, I guess it worked. At least, in part.

Let's not resort to irrational and extreme arguments eh? That just makes your own argument lose credibility.

The conclusion you appear to be jumping to here is that EVERYONE in beta never had any issues with the textures.

But my question is: How do you know that is true in every instance?

Or are you just going off what a few people in this thread have said?

This is like when someone points out a bug in an MMO, and someone else just claims that everything is fine because it works fine on THEIR pc.

I will ask again, if there was an issue that prevented a high res option don't you think rather than releasing the game they should have left it in beta and fixed it before releasing it stating it was a finished product when it wasn't?

Just FYI, I don't care what Stephan "Twitter is my home" Reid calls it, forgetting to remove one of the options from a UI drop-down is not a bug. The UI drop-down was working as intended. The fact that they forgot to edit it when they yanked the textures does not qualify it as a bug.

But, hey, if the spin gets people defending their honor, I guess it worked. At least, in part.

Depends on ones definition of what a "bug" is.

Making changes but missing out one critical point which causes the changes to NOT appear can be considered a bug. It all depends on the circumstances.

You were never once promised these features would be in game. As I mentioned before, there being a Low, medium, and high option in the launch UI -is- a bug. During the beta weekend there was only LOW and HIGH. They didn't try to sneak anything by, they removed the textures after it showed they preformed poorly.

You're blowing it out of proportion with the "OH MY GOD THEY ARE SNEAKING THINGS OUT OF THE GAME DOOM AND GLOOM!" B.S. Seriously, get over it. The textures ARE in the game, during cinematic cutscenes.

As I said before, if they left them in and people turned them on they would end up with people crying that they did not have OMGWTF SUPER PWN performance with them on.

if you think this game can continue with the character textures in their current state you must have something wrong with your eyesight, i'm serious. for a game in this day and age to have such godawful muddy, blurry textures on characters is just insulting to the gamer, if this isn't fixed by the next re-subscription date i'm gone, YES I care about graphics and I care about my character looking good.

and while you're at it, bioware, fix the *********** giant *** issue with jedi robes for **** sake, how long is it gonna take?

I will ask again, if there was an issue that prevented a high res option don't you think rather than releasing the game they should have left it in beta and fixed it before releasing it stating it was a finished product when it wasn't?

MMOs are never finished.

There, I feel better.

:cool:

In a perfect world, where things like time-scales and dead lines don't exist, such issues would be solved during beta.

Unfortunately, none of us live in such a world. It's often the case that some things get shelved due to deadlines. It's just the way the world works.

Now that launch is out of the way, the devs are no longer constrained by launch deadlines. Thus the situation is a bit more "flexible".

They HAVE said that they are looking into making the graphics look better. That's a fact.

Edited by Tarka

What part of "Medium wasn't in the weekend beta tests" hasn't quite sunk in?

if you think this game can continue with the character textures in their current state you must have something wrong with your eyesight, i'm serious. for a game in this day and age to have such godawful muddy, blurry textures on characters is just insulting to the gamer, if this isn't fixed by the next re-subscription date i'm gone, YES I care about graphics and I care about my character looking good.

and while you're at it, bioware, fix the *********** giant *** issue with jedi robes for **** sake, how long is it gonna take?

So...can I have your stuff?

Age of Conan had amazing graphics. Too bad about it dying a terrible death and all.

In a perfect world, where things like time-scales and dead lines don't exist, such issues would be solved during beta.

Unfortunately, none of us live in such a world. It's often the case that some things get shelved due to deadlines.

Really? Blizzard has no issues pushing release dates back, nor does Sony or Microsoft, if they think something isn't working right they WILL push it back.

So...can I have your stuff?

Age of Conan had amazing graphics. Too bad about it dying a terrible death and all.

One of the reasons why it died a death was because of performance issues with even high end rigs......

There's a lesson to be learned there.

Edited by Tarka

really? Blizzard has no issues pushing release dates back, nor does sony or microsoft, if they think something isn't working right they will push it back.

OMG have you ever *********** used a micro$oft product?

Edited by Azzras

I personally don't mind the graphics the way they look now and I am enjoying the game.

That said, I think a lot of ire could have been avoided by responding differently to the texture issue. IMO the following would have worked better (and is to the best of my understanding what actually happened based on everything I've read):

"Hey guys, we realize a lot of you are wondering what happened to the high texture graphics that you enjoyed in beta during game play. Although some of you did not seem to have issues using those, we did discover that they were going to cause problems with most players. So while we work on the technical problems, we've changed it so they don't render - for now. Even those with high-end PC's would most likely have had problems with the final released version of the game when there are a lot of players on screen. I know most of you would want to have at least the option of enabling them right now but on our end, that would cause too many problems. Our plan is to bring them back as soon as possible so please bear with us. Also, the low, medium and high options in the UI should really just read Low and High because it is our intent to provide the best textures rendered in the most efficient matter at that one high setting. That MAY change to Low, Med, High again depending on what the final implementation is but for now, its just the two settings."

What part of "Medium wasn't in the weekend beta tests" hasn't quite sunk in?

What part of "someone had to actually type the words into the style sheet, thus not a bug" hasn't quite sunk in?

Whatever. I don't have problems with people not agreeing with me, even if the conversation gets heated or ugly, but really, it's not even a conversation with you. I'm done with you.