So... Match Color to Chest?

Kraylessa

As I understand it, Bioware used some insane logic to justify removing Match Color to Chest from the game. They argued that new items didn't feel like "upgrades" because they were made to look too similar to the items they were replacing when this feature was enabled. Instead, they argued, it feels much more like an "upgrade" when your new boots make you look like a space clown.

But then they implemented this whole "custom gear" concept. Where not only can your upgraded boots look "similar" to your old boots, you can literally wear the exact same pair of boots for 40 levels. Using Biowares flawed logic, wouldn't mods and custom gear cause the exact same issue as the old Match Color to Chest option? Aren't mods just stat upgrades without the visual upgrade the same way that using match color to chest would make your new boots simply be a stat upgrade over your old boots? The only difference being that with match color to chest you could at least potentially get a different model for your boots, if not a different color.

My point is, Bioware is contradicting their own logic with custom gear. I love custom gear AND I love match color to chest. I don't think there is ever "too much" freedom when it comes to appearance and gearing your character. Why can't we have both? Those who want to use custom gear to design looks for themselves can.... Those who want to use blues and purples and not look like space clowns can.... Everybody wins!

Bioware, bring back match color to chest as a preference option and give your paying customers a choice!

Edit: Here is the link to the post on why unify color to chest was removed: http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-color-chest-piece-gone-and-whats-next

Edited by Kraylessa

It doesn't matter anyways cause at L50 you are stuck with an end game pvp or pve set since you cannot use other gear to change your look.

They have said they intend to make custom gear viable for end-game by making more end-game mods available, including gear-slot-specific mods and mods that allow for set bonuses. If they do that, I could theoretically where a custom chest piece and want my other gear to match it. So, match color to chest could still be very handy in that case. Especially if people want to do some sort of combination of custom gear and purple gear.

They have said they intend to make custom gear viable for end-game by making more end-game mods available, including gear-slot-specific mods and mods that allow for set bonuses. If they do that, I could theoretically where a custom chest piece and want my other gear to match it. So, match color to chest could still be very handy in that case. Especially if people want to do some sort of combination of custom gear and purple gear.

Boy would that be nice to have.

Yea last night I was picking up gear via quests on Tatt with my trooper.

After running some quests it finally occured to me, my character looked like a bag of skittles.

I had a yellow helmet, black chest, blue gloves, red boots and white/gray bracers.

I looked friggin ridiculous.

BW fix this asap

They also said they're going to add the match-to-chest option back in too

When? Where? The official post on the removal of match color to chest said they were working on a "new and better" system for handling appearance and I assumed (maybe wrongly) that was the custom gear system we see in place now. I haven't heard or seen any official dev post about match color to chest since that one which was made just before early access began.

Edit: Here is the post where Bioware explained their decision to remove the feature from the game: http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-color-chest-piece-gone-and-whats-next

Edited by Kraylessa

It still does matter for a majority of people.

It better be coming soon, in the supposedly Enhanced version.

[To the clueless guy above me, the curtomization you're referring to was in-game long before coloring was taken out, stop spreading non-sense]

Edited by dargor-

When? Where? The official post on the removal of match color to chest said they were working on a "new and better" system for handling appearance and I assumed (maybe wrongly) that was the custom gear system we see in place now. I haven't heard or seen any official dev post about match color to chest since that one which was made just before early access began.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-color-chest-piece-gone-and-whats-next

Yes, I have read that post. That's the one I referenced in my OP. Nowhere in there does it say they plan to add the feature back into the game. That simply states that they were working on a different feature to replace it. We haven't heard a word about the new feature since then. So, I had assumed (maybe wrongly) that they were satisfied with the current and planned improvements to the custom gear system. That there would not be a separate appearance feature beyond an enhanced version of the custom gear system.

Edited by Kraylessa

Edit: Here is the post where Bioware explained their decision to remove the feature from the game: http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-color-chest-piece-gone-and-whats-next

It states in that very thread you linked that it's coming back. See quote below:

The feature (or, to be exact, something I consider a better version of the feature) will return.
Edited by Mandrax

Ironically, some of my favorite armor pieces weren't moddable. It would be nice if we could convert equipment into moddable equipment.

I do prefer this moddable equipment feature over the "appearance tab" (for some reason, that always seemed sort of like a tacky hack).

Yes, I have read that post. That's the one I referenced in my OP. Nowhere in there does it say they plan to add the feature back into the game. That simply states that they were working on a different feature to replace it. We haven't heard a word about the new feature since then. So, I had assumed (maybe wrongly) that they were satisfied with the current and planned improvements to the custom gear system. That there would not be a separate appearance feature beyond an enhanced version of the custom gear system.

See my other post on page 2. It DOES say it's coming back.

Edited by Mandrax

They took it our during beta due to game mechanics.

They have said they are working on an alternative to this.

We will be able to customize colors soon.

Their official post about this was made on 12/9/2011. That's over a month ago. Since then we have seen the patch notes for 1.1 and read interviews about the planned changes for 1.2 and I have not seen the "new and improved" system mentioned anywhere. I am virtually certain that they have abandoned it in favor of the enhanced modification/custom gear system they HAVE talked about recently.

err, no. The mod system is completely separate.

Quoted from the article:

This wasn't exactly an easy decision – we know how popular the feature is and how eager and vocal the community has been for its return. So, I humbly ask for your patience. The feature (or, to be exact, something I consider a better version of the feature) will return.

The mod system has never been intended to replace it. The mod system has always been completely separate, though I do think it makes the feature somewhat irrelevant.

Edited by VicSkimmr

Ironically, some of my favorite armor pieces weren't moddable. It would be nice if we could convert equipment into moddable equipment.

I do prefer this moddable equipment feature over the "appearance tab" (for some reason, that always seemed sort of like a tacky hack).

"Supposedly" (heavy quotes), there is an orange equivalent for every piece of armor in the game. Keep looking, you may find that armor eventually.