I've figured out why i'm not enjoying the game

Gibmyster

I agree with the OP. It can get truly tiring and frustrating trying to find your way through this game with a lot of needless travel, or at least, travel that has been thrust upon you to emulate content, but really is a source of tediousness.

And to top that off, all those mobs u just spent 15 min killing so you could get to the spot? Well, they have respawned, and you have to kill them again to get back to your main path.

And I know u will think this is unbelievable, but during beta this was 1000 times worse. They cut a lot of it out, even!!

How can you play the game like this? I never had to once until 50.

There are multiple quests in each area with the story and class quest, you do those quests and quick travel back. If you are running back it's because you are playing it wrong.

Learn2QuickTravel

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really mind the running all that much, but I would like to see more continuity between the zones, and more populated zones. For a game that's literally just released, the sparse population even on a server that is almost always full or heavy is insane. GG over-phasing the world to appear like a single player experience.

RIP Pro Zones like Classic Southshore. This is the era of sand dunes and towns where you pass 3 people.

I agree with OP. Would be nice if when you reach a new mission hub, there would be many quests gradually moving you further and futher from the hub, potentialy hitting another mission hub.

Usually what's happening is that you reach one mission hub and the very first or second mission is already sending you across the map :(

The main problem here is that you, the current-generation gamer, wants everything fed into your mouth.

You have no patience. You want everything to be as short as possible. You want no tedious tasks to do in order to get great rewards.

In what kind of society were you raised? In a society based on MERIT and EXPERIENCE, you have to work your way to earn what you deserved. Not by sitting on your *** and whining about why it takes so long.

This game doesn't escape the fundamental. In order to progress, work for it. If you're not, you're going to get swallowed whole, and spit back digested.

The main problem here is that you, the current-generation gamer, wants everything fed into your mouth.

You have no patience. You want everything to be as short as possible. You want no tedious tasks to do in order to get great rewards.

In what kind of society were you raised? In a society based on MERIT and EXPERIENCE, you have to work your way to earn what you deserved. Not by sitting on your *** and whining about why it takes so long.

This game doesn't escape the fundamental. In order to progress, work for it. If you're not, you're going to get swallowed whole, and spit back digested.

You call playing a little video game work? You talk about merit and experience here??

Dude we are sitting in front of a computer playing a video game, get over it, its supposed to be fun period, no life lessons here man, keep moving.

Edited by Bruticuss

Man wow has really spoiled a lot of people. I guess since i came from the EQ days and thought wow was way to easy, I don't mind it.

Im not trying to discredit anyone opinion here, just my thought and opinion on it.

Yes, so in our spare time we should also do tedious tasks for rewards when playing computer games? Sorry, I already have a job.

Edited by Astron_

Running is fine, I just wish they hadnt put so many dead ends everywhere. Boring as hell to try take a shortcut somewhere just to find you cant jump up and go over those little hills or pass through at any point. Always straight lines drawn out for you to go at. might aswell call the game Star Wars - the Railway sim.

Its taken to the lenght that you automatic spot those interesting irregular places and "tadaa" whats there? Thats right, Datacrons.

Man wow has really spoiled a lot of people. I guess since i came from the EQ days and thought wow was way to easy, I don't mind it.

Im not trying to discredit anyone opinion here, just my thought and opinion on it.

don't think the fix is to make the world smaller, its about makeing more content to fill in the gaps, instead of just sending someone across the map on the first or 2nd quest.

Whatever you say bro, it's a video game. I hear there is tedious masochist games out there ... why don't you leave and go play one.

How about...

Every player gets a transport beacon. You can drop the beacon anywhere, then you would be able to transport to that beacon. Then when you need to, pick up the beacon and place it somewhere else, but, I would make it unusable in pvp.

This way you can drop the beacon by the quest giver and once you are done you can just pop back. Also, those that think running adds to the game don't have to use their beacon, but I bet they do.

All I know is even on a taxi on illum you can travel for upwards of 8 minutes, in one zone. only to travel half the zone. That is just uncalled for.

Sitting there staring at your screen is not work. Hitting auto run and letting your character travel while you go to the bathroom, and coming back still no where near your destination, is not work.

Don't be stupid, please.

Edited by mcfabulous

I don't mind the running between quests too much. Its the ridiculous running through empty and useless hangars every time I need to get to my ship or space station. I appreciate that they wanted to give a sense of scale, but after you've done it twice it is beyond tedious. I should be able to click Smuggler Hangar and be at my ramp or enter the planetary space port and have my hangar door be the first option.

End minor rant.

While I agree that running sucks, the alternative is having worlds that are tiny and insignificant, like WoW's where the entire "world" is smaller than a single county.

The trick is to do something to make running more interesting, like having the chance of random events happening, like ambushes, happening upon a fight, etc.

Think of the wasteland in Fallout 3 and you get the idea.

I just think its hillarious you all think because you have to run a little that the game is gonna die. Its a mmorpg you are supposed to have a big world to explore and fight in if you want things to be right next to where you pick up the quest then this is not the game for you. If you think theyre gonna change the game because of people complaining about running a little bit (because honestly its not like it takes 5 min to run to the quest) you're gonna be disapointed.

I just think its hillarious you all think because you have to run a little that the game is gonna die. Its a mmorpg you are supposed to have a big world to explore and fight in if you want things to be right next to where you pick up the quest then this is not the game for you. If you think theyre gonna change the game because of people complaining about running a little bit (because honestly its not like it takes 5 min to run to the quest) you're gonna be disapointed.

People don't care that they have to run for an hour.

They care that its a vaste emptiness with little to no fun to be had, and little visuals to actually enjoy for longer than 2 seconds.

If there was actually **** going on while doing this "work" (this is a *********** game not work) this thread wouldn't even exist.

I quite enjoy swtor, but what you are pointing out is also one of my problems with how it is made as well. Also, while (IMO) the story quests are interesting and good (at least mostly), these are often more tedious, and more of the classic grinding missions. By no means all, as there are gems out there, but for the most part.

What I have chosen to do is skip entire planets (besides the class quests). The lack of XP I take back in wz (dailies) and space. Yeah, it is actually more fun to to the space part, than to grind all of the planets missions. And the planets I skip, I do on my alt, so I get to experience all the quests (most anyway), but not at once. This works perfectly for me.

Same here-- I rerolled as a Scoundrel a few days ago and man, the lack of sprint was killing me on Coruscant. I ended up just getting frustrated every time one of those "BONUS OBJECTIVE: Kill 45 MORE Black Sun dudes!" messages popped up . I usually get a weird sort of fun out of grinding things like that, but on Coruscant... with no sprint... and the thing was way on the other side of the map... it just seemed miserable so I skipped them.

When I grabbed my ship a couple of levels later, I made up the xp in about 15 minutes of space battles I'd skipped the first time around.

Just a couple of days ago I was complaining here about being outleveled for the next planet if you complete all the story quests for a given planet and piddle around a little with space or PvP, but I'm taking that back. It's great to have a few different options.

Edited by PibbyPib

Let me preface by saying that I love this game, but I will admit it has its fair share of faults. I think my main problem with travel in SWTOR is the following:

The run time does not bother me, but what grinds my gears is how the planets all seem to bottleneck you into specific designated areas revolving completely around your currently active quests. Maybe it's just the lack of flying in this game, but I really think that the planets have no real depth to them. They feel like quest hubs more than actual living, breathing zones.

I hate to be one of those people who compares SWTOR to WoW, because the games are vastly different despite obvious and expected similarities, but I think it is necessary to provide an example here. When I started playing WoW, I originally rolled Alliance, a night elf to be exact. I leveled through Teldrassil, in awe at the massive trees and rivers and general ambiance of the starting zone. I traveled the road to Darnassus, and when I first saw it, I felt like I had actually arrived at a new destination...a new giant city to explore and visit over and over again.

Then came the trip to Darkshore, on the back of a hippogryph. A lot of people hated Darkshore because you had to run a great distance from north to south along the thin strip of a zone. I may be a little masochistic...but I LOVED it. The environment really did feel like a misty forest of pines and wild beasts.

And then Cataclysm screwed it all up. They tore up the world, removed a lot of free space and replaced them with quest hubs. It no longer felt like a giant, ambient world...just one quest zone to the next. I was extremely disappointed by this. It feels like SWTOR used a similar idea when creating their zones.

Call it the "wonder of exploration" if you want, but that is what this game severely lacks. None of the cities or towns are memorable, all the orbital space stations look the same...so far only a few planets have anything remotely resembling actual persistent environments. Voss is one of the few planets that I really, really like, and to a lesser extent Balmorra. At level 48, I haven't seen much of the last few planets, but I'm prepared to be equally disappointed in them.

In short, I wouldn't mind traveling for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or even an hour or more (Druid Aquatic Form quest chain, anyone?) as long as it really felt like I was traversing a world (or in this case, a galaxy). I simply do not get that feeling here, and it makes me extremely sad.

Nevertheless, this game has many more things about it that I actually DO like, so I'll be sticking around for a long time to come. I just hope in the future they rethink their zone / planet design.

Yes the running sucks. For example, the orbital stations. Loading screens and lots of running. Serves no purpose other than wasting your time.

I don't really agree that the game environments aren't interesting though. I enjoy them. That is, I enjoy them in general. I don't enjoy stuff that just wastes time, like the orbital stations.

Patient: It hurts when I punch myself!

Doctor: Stop punching yourself...

Stop running, do class quests and kill everything. No speeder, carve a path of destruction between you and your destination. You will end up with more xp and way more credits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.