I've figured out why i'm not enjoying the game

Gibmyster

I've been trying to figure out why such an originally addicting and fun game became a chore for me to play. It's the running.

Non-stop. Every time i do a sidequests, i have to run across a barren maze which is out of the way of my main objective to complete it. THEN, i have to run back. And then i get a new phase in which i have to run to another competley out of the way and on-the-other-side-of-the-map place.

I have just realized now that when i log out, it's right after i get a side quest. I look at my map, and just like the previous 2 quests that i spent my last hour on, it is located at an unmapped zone that requires a non-exaggerated 10 minutes of running.

When i had the audacity to skip these time-sinks, i was severely under levelled for a story boss. It's just a waste of time. If you're going to force these repetitive side-quests and teeth-grindingly long runs that take you through nowhere land, at least put them on the road to your main objective, or put the objective marks somewhat close to eachother! Not on the other side of the map!

INB4: "This is what MMOs are about noob"; "The environments are amazing brah, why not run for 20 minutes on end?"; "Start grinding *****"

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoy swtor, but what you are pointing out is also one of my problems with how it is made as well. Also, while (IMO) the story quests are interesting and good (at least mostly), these are often more tedious, and more of the classic grinding missions. By no means all, as there are gems out there, but for the most part.

What I have chosen to do is skip entire planets (besides the class quests). The lack of XP I take back in wz (dailies) and space. Yeah, it is actually more fun to to the space part, than to grind all of the planets missions. And the planets I skip, I do on my alt, so I get to experience all the quests (most anyway), but not at once. This works perfectly for me.

I was excited when I got my speeder on Nar Shaddaa. I thought Yeah! This'll make the running a little less tedious. After Taris, I'm ready for some hot, speedery action!

Then I hit Tatooine.

And they moved everything further apart. So yeah, I'm going faster... but the travel time remains EXACTLY the same... if not longer!

Dont agree with you here OP.

For me I like the atmoshphere of it seeming like a huge world and having a lot of space to explore. I also like it when youve been running through a load of mobs and get to a quest hub. Feels like an oasis in the desert. I think they have done a great job with the planets and dont forget not everyone wants to speed to 50 as fast as they can. Im level 45 ATM and realy enjoying taking my time doing all the quests I can ( well ive skipped a few bonus ones) and just seeing the planets. I did hate Quesh though so sped through that as fast as possible luckily its only a one level planet.

I do wish they would introduce more canteena's at outposts though even if its just a tent with a serving droid as with working and family I log on when I can and dont want to have to use 5 mins of it trying to get back to a main city to log out, though I digress.

I believe that I've spent more time running to and fro than actually doing quests and killing things.

But that could be just perception. If I had more time and energy, I'd start a new character with 2 stopwatches. Click one when fighting, and the other while travelling pointlessly.

After 25-30 levels or so, see which one is greater.

I want teleporters (no cooldown) to every discovered mission and important location.

This means no tedious running and grinding mobs for some.

No effort for Bioware; like changing parts of the game world.

Allows everybody to play like he wants.

I too suffer from sore feet... but i must admit makes the feeling of the game feel HUGE... i mean ... it is supposed to be a planet .... and in that aspect i LOVE that it is huge.... it is GRAND.....

... on the other hand.... i've been playing for almost a month now.... and on my 10th pair of shoes/ boots....... "sniff"

SOLUTION : TADAAA !!!!! ..... make more taxi pads...... it's simple, elegant and relastic... taxi companies would use a warzone if they could make credits on it :D

I too suffer from sore feet... but i must admit makes the feeling of the game feel HUGE... i mean ... it is supposed to be a planet .... and in that aspect i LOVE that it is huge.... it is GRAND.....

It is empty...

From one vast, barren wilderness to another.

Maybe you're just really lazy.

Frankly I like it. It gives the worlds a sense of scale because it takes time to traverse, yet with quest objectives that are layed out intelligently enough to keep from making you run back and forth over the same paths too many times (assuming you're not a moron who takes quests one at a time or something).

It's almost like people would rather have tiny planets with quest-givers that teleport you to the objectives or something. The game already makes things pretty damn convenient, complaining that it takes more than 60 seconds to get between quest objective areas is just a lotta whine and cheese if you ask me.

Running? What do you know about running? When I was younger, we didn't get vehicles at 25 - we got mounts at 40, and we liked it! "Better run down to Gadgetzan" we might say, and damn if we ran for 20 minutes.

Running... pfaugh. There's almost no running at ALL in this game. Part of why it takes so little time to level.

Running? What do you know about running? When I was younger, we didn't get vehicles at 25 - we got mounts at 40, and we liked it! "Better run down to Gadgetzan" we might say, and damn if we ran for 20 minutes.

Running... pfaugh. There's almost no running at ALL in this game. Part of why it takes so little time to level.

You know you are getting old when you start saying, "when I was young..." :D

WoW player that thinks he's an MMO veteran. How amusing.

I agree with you OP, about the annoyance of certain quests locations.

A lot of them are effectively dragging 10 minutes away, pick up 3 objects or kill 10 monsters, and then drag you 10 minutes back. Then 10 away elsewhere, then 10 back.

The worst of it was on Taris, imo. I spent litterally 1h30 to finish 4 quests that consisted in picking 5 objects, then kill 15 people, then kill 10 others, and then kill a general.

1h30 ! .... 70% of this time being done in travelling back and forth from the quest zone to the Emp base (and I have a speeder, but constant repop prevented from not aggroing). It's disproportionated.

At first you don't pay too much attention to it, but after a while, it's impossible not to grumble after the 10th travel for just picking up 3 bombs.

There is a heavy use of holocom in the lore, why aren't these quests using it more intensively to validate some travel heavy quests ?

Edited by kineticdamage