Why do no reviews state LOW REZ Graphics

Zezel

My guess: Either they have been given money by EA to keep quiet (unlikely) or they have been simply send a version, that is tailored for the press with highres textures enabled. Edited by Ommm

My guess: Either they have been given money by EA to keep quiet (unlikely) or they have been simply send a version, that is tailored for the press with highres textures enabled.
Most reviewers, especially website reviewers don't get 'presskits' sent to them from companies. In fact most of them don't get 'free' stuff, they have to buy the products and do the reviews on them. Only a handful of popular, successful sites may get something but even then most likely not. The companies make websites really work for that stuff otherwise everyone would be a review to get free stuff. Not to mention I would never put any faith in any reviewer that didn't buy, setup, purchase from a consumer standpoint.

They aren't given money by EA. Any review site that takes money from any company devalues themselves by doing that. They wouldn't actually be reviewing as opposed to just being a PR extension. They most likely do not have tailored versions.

The title states Low... sorry I don't play and no one plays in low. In fact some of the review sites have pictures. Granted they are medium and may have AA forced, but they aren't low so that is why no one talks about low graphics. For the most part everyone focusing on the graphics, focusing on the graphics on their characters... not anything else around them. If you read the majority of the posts their idea for a hotfix "Make it so I view hires on my character and companion, med/low on everyone else". To be fair I wouldn't mind that either... but there are aspects of the graphics that are better than other games. Also it is hard to compare different engines, graphics when we aren't comparing the same graphics but different stylized versions of games.

because reviewers know this is an MMO, and compared to the majority of MMOs SWTOR blows most of them out of the water. In the MMO big picture, SWTOR has excellent graphics. It has already been explained in another thread by the development team that graphics like Skyrim are not possible for an MMO without a significant blow in performance "at this time".

....and comparisons to WoW have no basis as the polygon count for the 3D models of SWTOR far exceeds the "blocky" design of WoW, as well as the size of texture resolutions.

Edited by chompy_da_goat

The reviews I've read have simply chalked up the resolution to a "style choice". And have moved on to actually comment on Storyline and Gameplay. Those that are making it some sort of travesty or deal-breaker are playing for different reasons that most professional reviewers out there.

If they had released ME3 with this sort of graphics engine you can BET that they would jump all over that reality in a heartbeat.

As it is, for this sort of genre it really is the non-issue that the reviewers are (not) making it out to be.

because reviewers know this is an MMO, and compared to the majority of MMOs SWTOR blows most of them out of the water. In the MMO big picture, SWTOR has excellent graphics. It has already been explained in another thread by the development team that graphics like Skyrim are not possible for an MMO without a significant blow in performance "at this time".

....and comparisons to WoW have no basis as the polygon count for the 3D models of SWTOR far exceeds the "blocky" design of WoW, as well as the size of texture resolutions.

Lol, graphics like Skyrim? Are you for real? We just want the game to be on par with other MMO's, like it was during the BETA, which ran way better than the current client let me tell you.

At this point it really does look bad. Real bad, and no where near the way it was advertised, so please cut the fanboi act and let us fight for what we bought.

Low res? Have you played MMO' or are you like the CoD fans that flocked to Skyrim just to later say that it sucked?

MMO's are intentionally designed so that they can be run on lower end computers. Still from screen shots that I have from Higher end computers then my own, the game looks astonishing for an MMO. I mean it's no Battlefield 3, or Rage, but it's certainly prettier then WoW, even on "Low Res"

Lol, graphics like Skyrim? Are you for real? We just want the game to be on par with other MMO's, like it was during the BETA, which ran way better than the current client let me tell you.

At this point it really does look bad. Real bad, and no where near the way it was advertised, so please cut the fanboi act and let us fight for what we bought.

It's really just made worse by jumping from cinematic to gameplay mode.

Especially with things like helmets and lights and glossy texture.

Actually in my Beta weekend the game ran worse, virtually unplayable on my laptop. Now it runs slightly better and medium textures are loading correctly. Unlike beta where when I upped the graphics at all it loaded, but quickly unloaded.

Actually in my Beta weekend the game ran worse, virtually unplayable on my laptop. Now it runs slightly better and medium textures are loading correctly. Unlike beta where when I upped the graphics at all it loaded, but quickly unloaded.

Invest in a better laptop or lower your settings then.

Do you honestly think we shouldn't be allowed to customize the graphics at our own will?

I realize MMO's can't be on par with current SP's out there like Skyrim and Rage but that doesn't justify them taking away the option to atleast up the graphics to a decent level.

Especially when they are advertising the game in a setting we can't even run.

You kidding? Even FFXIV, one of the worst-optimized games ever, runs better than SW:ToR, and it has better graphics than Skyrim.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337825/Game-reviewers-busted-Thanks-Bioware.html

Interesting points, Why are reviewers not even stating this?

Answer this:

What were they playing?

To the answer.

No they were not paid but any review site that wants to make money would be insane to rate any popular game low. Look at the Warhammer reviews as the case in point.

Now as to why they did not comment on the poor textures in a lot (most?) reviews I am not too sure. Reviewers have gotten into a bad habit of slapping an "awesome stamp" on the graphics/music side of MMOs without really looking at them closely.