The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I wouldn't have minded this if I hadn't been told?

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1466/screenshot2012011115012.jpg

I suppose if I had been blind, or lived in a cave with only Nintendo 64 games to keep me busy until I was released last December.

yes because we all lplay the game zoomed in withing 3 microns of our characters face amirite?

as i said, go ahead leave, ill be here having FUN instead of thinking of commiting suicide over PIXELS lol pathetic

Edited by Parali
rude

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we see them in the cutscenes. And to add insult to injury, all the promotional videos and screenies use the high res textures.

So, here's the thing. EA/Bioware lied to our faces, first calling the lack of high res textures a bug, then reversing course and declaring it a feature, and THEN being wishy washy about fixing it.

They existed in beta, we know they can be turned on because of that. They are used in marketing screen shots, so we know they can be turned on. But, Bioware refuses to allow us to turn them on (because we the users are, in Bioware's opinion, to dumb to be able to figure out our own balance between quality and performance).

ZOMG ZOMG BUT THE VIDEOS!!! THE VIDEOS!!!!

i still remain in the same position, you guys are being EXTREMELY anal about something that at the end of the day , you wouldnt have cared about if the textures never existed you would still be playing this game, the only reason you guys are crying home about this is because somehow you take it personal that you cant run @ 2k resolution

look here dude, the tv , internet , radio and the world is full of things that got exagerated as a marketing ploy , its not the first time, and they are giving you FUNCTIONAL product, the only ones touting the game is "unplayable" due to some minor pixels are you people

ill be ingame having a blast yes? you can go look at your textures with a microscope and drive yourself nuts , you guys are bieng monumentally hardheaded about this..

EDIT:

http://i39.tinypic.com/vhgd9j.jpg

srsly that is FAAAAAAR from "unplayable and horrible" as the people here make it out to be, so what if i cant see the microscopic screw on my belt buckle ? do you really spend THAT much time zoomed in checking out your character?

Edited by LaVolpex

i still remain in the same position, you guys are being EXTREMELY anal about something that at the end of the day , you wouldnt have cared about if the textures never existed you would still be playing this game, the only reason you guys are crying home about this is because somehow you take it personal that you cant run @ 2k resolution

look here dude, the tv , internet , radio and the world is full of things that got exagerated as a marketing ploy , its not the first time, and they are giving you FUNCTIONAL product, the only ones touting the game is "unplayable" due to some minor pixels are you people

ill be ingame having a blast yes? you can go look at your textures with a microscope and drive yourself nuts , you guys are bieng monumentally hardheaded about this..

EDIT:

srsly that is FAAAAAAR from "unplayable and horrible" as the people here make it out to be, so what if i cant see the microscopic screw on my belt buckle ? do you really spend THAT much time zoomed in checking out your character?

Your missing the point....the detail on the armor is far from ok...and there advertising it as High textures in all screens yet were not able to get this texturing were forced to use downgraded old GFX from 2000.

I think the point is that BioWare was intentionally dishonest about it and continues to be (with advertising/promotional materials showing high-res textures). Stephen Reid and come and talk all he wants about it being a development decision, etc. and all of that is FINE, but for me, in this instance, dishonesty MEANS continuing to promote the game with images that are presented as in-game when they are NOT.

This isn't like a cinematic where any reasonable gamer knows that the cinematic graphics aren't going to be what the actual game looks like (when the hell are we going to get graphics that good in the actual game by the way?!?). Using the high-res textures to promote the game is underhanded at best and flat-out disrespectful/dishonest at worst.

Hopefully they have figured out (and I think BioWare's response shows this) that we are not happy with the current state of the graphics in TOR. At least that is a positive first step. The fact that they only address this AFTER the one million sold however is a bit troubling. I ask again... how could this have gotten through beta without a player thread?

EDIT:

1) Name one review on SWTOR that states that in game graphics (crap) are not those in advertised game play (pretty hot), amazingly they all missed it !! :eek:

2) Players who Beta tested used their own brain power and updated hardware based off of what they saw in Beta.

3) I do not buy any "it's not about the graphics" arguments. If it's not about the graphics why are are the Official Trailers being made at high resolution? Why are millions of dollars spend on graphics?

Answer: For PC gamers it is all about the graphics.

I (many players) do not have $700+ in Crossfire video cards for graphics to look like 2004 era blobs of crap.

Edited by Zezel

yes because we all lplay the game zoomed in withing 3 microns of our characters face amirite?

as i said, go ahead leave, ill be here having FUN instead of thinking of commiting suicide over PIXELS lol pathetic

Yeah, we get it, it's not important to you. It is to us, and to thousands who don't post on forums. You know, the people who constantly made excuses for WAR, AOC, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, SWG, etc., told people to 'go ahead leave' also. These days they kind of regret it, because, guess what? People went ahead and left.

Edited by Rophez

LOD -3 in those shots?

Yes, here is the whole tweaks that I run this game @1920x1080

http://i.imgur.com/T1BQd.jpg

p.s. AntiAliasing 16EQ is for me useless, because of LOD-3, but I still run it to force my cards to scream and to see will there be any crash or problem like they are telling us.

So far, not a single crash, but my grass is loading as I walk forward :) Annoying-Draw Distance is a mess also.

The fact that they only address this AFTER the one million sold however is a bit troubling. I ask again... how could this have gotten through beta without a player thread?

The high-res textures were there in beta, up until the very last few weeks. It was brought up on the forums, and most 'fanbois' (I use that term for a lack of a better word) assured everyone that it was just left out to reduce the download for the massive amount of players during stress test, and that it would surely be in release. No official comments from Bioware.

EDIT:

Leave it to fanboys to rapidly defend someone taking advantage of them. I don't really understand you people--you're more angry at people who are annoyed at having been deceived than the people who actually carried out the deception? That's pathological.

Maybe someone will figure out a workaround for this, like they have with the ini settings and LoD -3 tweak. I mean when you click on the holocom in your ship it changes to high res - maybe there is a way to force this globally.

If not, oh well. Their loss. Guild Wars 2 will be out around September, and we'll have Diablo 3 this summer.

Edited by Cicatrize

Maybe someone will figure out a workaround for this, like they have with the ini settings and LoD -3 tweak. I mean when you click on the holocom in your ship it changes to high res - maybe there is a way to force this globally.

If not, oh well. Their loss. Guild Wars 2 will be out around September, and we'll have Diablo 3 this summer.

I sure hope so. No tweaks so far have made the game look as good as it did back in Beta though.

I don't get it, why not just make it an option in the graphical settings? If you have a crap comp turn them off? You can't blame Bioware for your machine being sucky and us who spent alot of time and effort getting a decent machine, shouldn't miss out cuz some people are whining about lag?

L2 Buy a decent machine or save up for it if you can't afford it!

Leave it to fanboys to rapidly defend someone taking advantage of them. I don't really understand you people--you're more angry at people who are annoyed at having been deceived than the people who actually carried out the deception? That's pathological.

Yeah I don't understand it either, puzzles me how the players that exposed this issue, not Bioware in a PR release are the villains.

I don't get it, why not just make it an option in the graphical settings? If you have a crap comp turn them off? You can't blame Bioware for your machine being sucky and us who spent alot of time and effort getting a decent machine, shouldn't miss out cuz some people are whining about lag?

I don't get it either how a company can say "we are worried about your machines" as an excuse. Call me stupid but that's not the reason at all.

I had to log in to these forums which I've done only a few times just to add my signature to this thread, which I'm surprised to see is the 5th post, and am not surprised to see.

My Jedi Guardian just got a new chest piece, I have AA forced to 4x, and the game just went from looking great to dreadful for some reason. When combat is going I can ignore it, but my new chest is drained just like my textures are on a low setting, and it sucks to constantly see.

It only makes sense, right? It's only a common feature in every PC game.

I don't know to feel disrespected by being denied the option or to be flabbergasted the devs thought this wasn't important. They created a bigger mess this way than giving us a high option.