The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the game failing? :(

Blackweb

Several things...

In the US, it's between 6am and 9am - People are going to school/work.

In the EU, it's between 2pm and 4pm - People are at school/work.

The servers have been down all morning for a patch and only recently came back up.

No, this game isn't failing, but I think you might be...

most perfect forum answer of the day award winner!

Thank you for this. especially the last line.....

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The server populations are stabilizing, and players have gotten off of the early-start high, and dropped back from playing now that the holidays are past for most people.

Earlier you had people flooding every server with characters looking for the ones that weren't overpopulated, and players playing ten hours a day. There's less of that going on now, which is why things seem smaller.

I have no doubt there's also some exodus occurring - some people have quit and won't be playing, but its early to claim the sky is falling.

i just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

are people leaving this game? Is it failing?

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and i truly want to love this game. So far i'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... Horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... The world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs omg i can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. Cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other i think?

Is serious fixing coming to this game? Do you think it will get the overhaul that it needs?

I'm really worried that the ea budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously i'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz i just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But i really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

No amount of talking about how good it is, can obscure the truth, that this game needs a major overhaul to compete properly.

please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, i want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

it's 8 in the morning. People have work and school.

Bioware please add this to the forum disclaimer:

"If you intend on participating in the discussions on these forums, be warned that users will only read the first two lines of all your posts."

Plenty of people read past the first two sentences, provided those two sentences don't set up some very poor logic. When someone says they logged onto a server on a workday morning, and then continue on to ask the question "Is this game dying?", a lot of people are going to focus on that discrepancy.

Now if you had just started with 'Is this game dying?', I'm guessing the response you would've received would be quite different. Even now if you would show perhaps a little thicker skin, you'd probably get more constructive responses.

I can't even take you serioulsy, it's so obvious your only intent with probably all your posts, is about making people see what a smart *** you are.

I'm not trying to be a scientist as this is the forum of a VIDEOGAME, you frickin nerd. :D

BTW that wall mart joke is really funny, really cleverly made and the sarcasm is so ingeniously disguised that I couldn't help but open my eyes as wide as they could get! And let out a surprised "GASP"! Do geniuses truly exist who can come up with humour like this on an internet forum or am I reading jokes written by actual stand-up pro's?!(btw this isn't sarcasm I genuinely mean this, I haven't laughed so much in ages, that's why this reply isn't a troll) :rolleyes:

This comes off as a wee bit defensive. Again, on any internet forum, people are liable to pick on those reacting like this.

I just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

Are people leaving this game? Is it failing?

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and I TRULY want to love this game. So far I'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... the world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs OMG I can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other I think?

Is serious fixing coming to this game? Do you think it will get the overhaul that it needs?

I'm really worried that the EA budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously I'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz I just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But I really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

No amount of talking about how good it is, can obscure the truth, that this game needs a major overhaul to compete properly.

Please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

Thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, I want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

I see what you did there....you're Daniel Erickson in disguise!? Is this your way of reaching out for help without EA crushing you?

Honestly, from what I read, people are bashing you but you ask a valid question. Obviously servers will begin to empty out now that the first 30 days is coming to an end, it will be interesting to see how BW handles it. I like the game and will continue to play until there's nothing to do anymore, but I've also noticed that it's getting increasingly difficult to get a group during peak hours. That to me is a game killer. Maybe they need to rethink their hardline stance on no group finder?

Yes this game is failing, sorry to say this. People are raging in the forum, especially about the non high texture quality. The developer give it a excusess of the game being laggy based on a computer which they didnt specify and also they did not inform what version of swtor they tested. We all know about the insame fps drop at the release of swtor, it's because the game wasn't optimized. Who knows how bad optimized it was when they tested swtor on a high-end PC.

Excuses after excuses, when they well aware that the hardware are constantly increasing in capacity.

The thing about new mmo is that the graphic is current when its released, but swtor is already out-dated.

Of course he is trolling, 'hate trolls' have mostly already been banned, so that leaves crypto_trolls and 'concern trolls', that usually are the most pathetic and slimey because they tend to pass themselves for fans of the game etc etc.

i wonder if he has multiple accounts to come in and start posting in support of his thesis

And you are the mother troll, since you took the time to invent categories for all the people with an opinion, which you like to call trolls.

Regardsless of the bile that you are spewing (and which I'm guessing you have been spewing since you joined these forums) I AM a fan of star wars and I love playing MMO's, when a HUGE portion of the playerbase on your MMO is complaining about very relevant things, it might be because there is reason for it and I just wanted to make sure these issues aren't being forgotten, like so many FANS of the game are because it's a genuine concern to them.

If you would take the time to think before you post, you would realise that you and others like you are the ones creating the elitist and frankly quite childish attitude which is ruining the community.

Yes this game is failing, sorry to say this. People are raging in the forum, especially about the non high texture quality. The developer give it a excusess of the game being laggy based on a computer which they didnt specify and also they did not inform what version of swtor they tested. We all know about the insame fps drop at the release of swtor, it's because the game wasn't optimized. Who knows how bad optimized it was when they tested swtor on a high-end PC.

Excuses after excuses, when they well aware that the hardware are constantly increasing in capacity.

The thing about new mmo is that the graphic is current when its released, but swtor is already out-dated.

You're well aware that every popular mmo has been filled with raging, right? If one were to trust forum rage, then WoW's been dead for almost 7 years now.

Just going to skip over many of the posts because the OP asked a legitimate question that many others wished to take into left field.

Anyway, in regards to the question at hand I would say none truely know. My server is still very active when I'm on game. Still a ton of people running around, chatting it up and filling the zone/instance I am in but of course all servers can differ and I'm on a RP one and we honestly tend to stick to games for a while for one reason or another.

I wouldn't go by looking at the status of the servers because back on December 21st they stated they would 'gradually' raise the caps on servers as time goes. Well it's now 1/12/2012 so a good few weeks after. The chances that all the servers would suddenly go this mass exodus is very slim. So in all likelyhood to remove the ques and said issues the server caps have been raised. Yes, holidays are also over but I would suspect the server caps being raised would have more to do with it.

Of course it would only benefit Bioware to come out and officially state it for the here and now instead of us having to fall on a statement made three weeks ago but it is what it is. This same discussion is taking place on mmorpg.com and probably other boards. They need to open communication a bit because we are a fickle player base and jump ship at the drop of a dime these days.

Edited by Zhauric

I doubt the game will fail. Though I won't be subbing because I just don't feel the experience is worth 15 a month, to be honest I'd rather go back to WOW. I'll just wait for D3 though.

I love BW but my god, they need to learn how to make an MMO.

The good news is, the population is growing daily as more people buy the game and get online (we can see the growth).

Unless Stephen Reid is lying through his teeth, the game is most definitely not failing.

What you're seeing is the result of a) more even distribution of population across all level ranges, and b) people taking it easier now that the game's been out for a month.

I think the server numbers and populations are fudged.

I am on a high/full server and in some planets and areas there areonly a small handful of people. How can my server be full?

I just asked why there was only 23 people on a full server in alderaan and got bashed

"95% of the people are at school or work!"

so 26 is 5% of the people that normally play

26x20 = 110 (average amount there during the main game time) got it!

I just asked why there was only 23 people on a full server in alderaan and got bashed

"95% of the people are at school or work!"

so 26 is 5% of the people that normally play

26x20 = 110 (average amount there during the main game time) got it!

*face palm*

Because that random person in general chat has 100% perfect statistics regarding server population.

US people has just awoken and gone to work/school. Europeans are still at work/school. How suprising that server load are light...

If there was only, oh, I don't know, some force out there that would show the OP the error of his ways.

Oh, yeah!! There is. It's called "common sense", something that is severly lacking around here. But, it is an Internet forum, after all.

And you are the mother troll, since you took the time to invent categories for all the people with an opinion, which you like to call trolls.

Regardsless of the bile that you are spewing (and which I'm guessing you have been spewing since you joined these forums) I AM a fan of star wars and I love playing MMO's, when a HUGE portion of the playerbase on your MMO is complaining about very relevant things, it might be because there is reason for it and I just wanted to make sure these issues aren't being forgotten, like so many FANS of the game are because it's a genuine concern to them.

If you would take the time to think before you post, you would realise that you and others like you are the ones creating the elitist and frankly quite childish attitude which is ruining the community.

Putting words like "huge" in all caps does not make it so. These forums are a very, very tiny portion of the playerbase.

Why must everyone assume they are the spokesperson for some majority that only exists in their head?

I just logged in and took an overall look on the servers... I see maybe 1 server with a high population and 30-40 servers with light/standard)

I'm kind of a fanboy when it comes to star wars and I TRULY want to love this game. So far I'm loving the awesome voiceovers and the combat system (even though many complain about it cuz of sucky pvp).

But the graphics engine is just... horrendous, the feel of the game is so bad... the world doesn't feel stable and working but glitchy and static, the audio bugs OMG I can't run my speeder for 2 mins without the hovering sound dissapearing all the time replaced by other environment sounds etc. cuz they are poorly programmed they overlap each other I think?

I'm really worried that the EA budget money making machine, has saved resources on this game in places where they really shouldn't have.

I'm never going back to wow or anything like that, but seriously I'm praying for a golden overhaul for this game cuz I just don't see myself sticking around for anything other than the storylines so far.

I'm sorry if some of you people who can easily ignore all these issue are offended, call me a troll all you want. But I really hope we can get enough attention on these matters, so that one day they will take it serioulsy and throw the resources needed into the game.

Please at least try to hold back the trolling monster inside you if you wanna comment on this thread.

Thank you but this is my honest 10 cents and it has nothing to do with trying to bring the game down or promote other mmo's, I want this game to be all it can be and imo it has long way to go.

Well me and my friends had planned on focusing on PVP in this game, for our end game content. We wanted to play on a pvp server, join a PVP guild , do our thing.

Because PVP is so horrible, controls are unbearably unresponsive and lagged we rerolled on a PVE server, so we could just play through the story and enjoy the single player part, and if they don't fix warzones and the unresponsive controls that show up when you get alot of characters on screen, we won't be resubbing.

We arent interested in raiding, and doing 4 mans at lvl 50over and over is not my idea of fun

Unless Stephen Reid is lying through his teeth, the game is most definitely not failing.

What you're seeing is the result of a) more even distribution of population across all level ranges, and b) people taking it easier now that the game's been out for a month.

I don't doubt for a second it's true, that the playerbase is growing.

But 2+ mil or whatever isn't anything fantastic, 2+ mil is expected as a minimum when you take probably the most popular piece of fiction in the world along with the largest fanbase in the world? (or at least in the top 3 or something) and make an online community/game for it, then announce the game 3-4 years before release to make ppl go crazy with anticipation and then finally release a very unfinished product.

I'm just afraid that many people are still playing the game, solely because it's star wars and they love it so much! Which I know is my nr 1 reason for playing, I really want to love this game and I am in many ways. So far I'm loving the single player side of the game, since voice and story and combat is pretty damn awesome... it's just pretty much every MMO aspect of the game (which is the wow player in me talking) is either missing or not "feeling right" (which is basically the same as not working).

You can't tell me if you ever played wow and are forced to compare these two mmo's, that this mmo has anywhere near the solid and stable feel of an open and breathing online universe as much as wow has, it just doesn't come close and it frickin saddens me. They let EA push them into using an outdated gfx engine which feels, frankly unprofessional and amateur like, to save money and it screwed all of us high end gamers. I'm starting to prefer the toony wow look to this current state and I HATE that toony look.

Several things...

In the US, it's between 6am and 9am - People are going to school/work.

In the EU, it's between 2pm and 4pm - People are at school/work.

The servers have been down all morning for a patch and only recently came back up.

No, this game isn't failing, but I think you might be...

Is he really?

WoW Server Status

Click that and sort by population... somehow that game has dozens of high pop servers and tons more mediums.

Just sayin, I think people are just going back "Home" if you ask me.

Edited by Knyghtprowler

I doubt the game will fail. Though I won't be subbing because I just don't feel the experience is worth 15 a month, to be honest I'd rather go back to WOW. I'll just wait for D3 though.

I love BW but my god, they need to learn how to make an MMO.

I think Blizzard should know how to make an MMO, where are all the european and north american subs for that game you call WoW??? Asian subs give people the illusion that WoW is popular among North america and europe.

Even I played WoW, but guess what, no longer. Because I love the way SWTOR is designed a refreshment from any other mmo im use to. Big thumbs up!

Yes, and too early to tell (i would venture a no personally)

That is possible as far as the audio bugs go, though i have not experience as many of the bugs as others seems to have i know there are many still. i do agree with the static feel, mobs mostly just stand there waiting to be attacked with a couple of idle animations now and again

I believe it is and will get the overhaul it needs, though i doubt it will be all in one go. That's mostly based on faith in Bioware as a company and thier stated commitments to continue development and bug fixes so take it with a grain of salt

Also possible, but we could only speculate on that.

Based on other posts i have seen on the forums via the dev tracker i do think these issues are "on their radar" and being given appropriate attention. I also think that it will take them an upwards of 2 months (personal opinion, based on personal experience as a software developer) to address some of them and that may be too long for some players.

Replies in red above.

To expand on the first "yes", immediately following a launch is an expected period of player loss as the people who buy the game to try it out but find they don't enjoy it move on. This usually lasts all the way through the free month and continues a little beyond that and i have personally been noticing lower player pops in the planets i play on, but it does vary and still hits an upwards of 120 players regularly. Once that time has passed one can make a reasonably informed judgement on whether or not the game has "failed", keeping in mind that several MMO's that have been judged as "failed" by the MMO community have continued to turn a profit for quite some time afterwards.

Also I'd like to offer some constructive criticism regarding the 9 or so pages of what you refer to as "trolling". You may have noticed that many of them focused on the first statement as it related to your thread title. Please be aware that the structure of your thread tends to guide the general response. The first thing anyone will see is the title "is the game failing?" which of course many people will take the asking of that question as an implication that "no" is not the obvious answer and upset them. Follow that with the first line being a statement of your observations followed by re-asking the title question and you get the distinct impression that the rest of the post is not relevant.

In this case i think if you had written a more extensive title, such as "are the graphical and audio bugs going to cause this game to fail?", and held off the "Are people leaving this game? Is it failing? " line to the latter part of your OP, more people would recognize the rest of your concerns and how they relate to the question, and thus respond to them.

However, most would still be sarcastic and "trollish" because this is the internet and people on the internet find that funny. Please don't take it personally, most forum goers are looking for entertainment even as they discuss issues they care about.