[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

The insulting thing is renaming the current textures as High, if they just named them Medium and left high off the list to be added later it wouldn't be nearly as insulting. Our new high textures will be lower than just about any other MMO you can think of.

It is cringe worthy and embarrassing to wear some of the robes, the textures are so bad you can't make out any details at all. Bioware should be embarrassed to even call them Medium.

The gameplay is good to meh pretty much standard MMO

The interface is horid, worse than AoC, other than the chat window. I used to think that game had the bare minimum for UI until SWTOR.

The customers service is amongst the worst I've ever seen, form letters and closed tickets on persistent bugs that impact your ability to play.

Am I having fun in SWTOR, yes... Should that trump all the flaws, I would like to, but it just feels like I'm in an abusive relationship.

This letter today was amongst the more insulting. That feature that you had in beta that worked well that we removed, oh that was a bug... we didn't intend for the game to look that good. It wouldn't be fair to those with calculators for computers that it look any better for you than for them.

Edited by Kayla_Shadowsong

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Another misleading game.

Why has game quality gone soooo down since COD started pumping out sequels every 7 months? I watched the videos for this game and followed its progress LONG before there was ever a release date. Why did they **** the graphics so much? All of the released "in game" videos and pictures look great, yet when I get on to play it fully maxed out, it looks like i'm playing a wii game. Come on! Zero AA, Med-Res textures at BEST...***.... The voice acting and story are good, but they do not compensate! ****** graphics take away AT LEAST 50% of the appeal, leaving little left to appreciate. I should have listened to the customer reviews instead of the "professional" critiques on this. BIOWARE, TAKE NOTICE ON HOW THIS IS A 5 DAY OLD THREAD AND THERE ARE ALREADY 90 PAGES OF RANTING TO THIS! I am posting this because I want someone to realize this is a problem and get it fixed asap. They really screwed the players on this one.

I will give them no more than two months to fix this, it degrades most of the appeal to the game, and I would feel better going back to LOTRO, a 2005 MMO with infinitely better graphics, than having to re-assure myself every time I get back on that this will maybe get fixed.

Please, I really want to be proud of this game :(

Edited by LeadCommando

Meh, better but still pretty bad. I've tried forcing all kinds of things in different combinations haven't come to a viable solution yet.

Why has game quality gone soooo down since COD started pumping out sequels every 7 months? I watched the videos for this game and followed its progress LONG before there was ever a release date. Why did they **** the graphics so much? All of the released "in game" videos and pictures look great, yet when I get on to play it fully maxed out, it looks like i'm playing a wii game. Come on! Zero AA, Med-Res textures at BEST...***.... The voice acting and story are good, but they do not compensate! ****** graphics take away AT LEAST 50% of the appeal, leaving little left to appreciate. I should have listened to the customer reviews instead of the "professional" critiques on this. BIOWARE, TAKE NOTICE ON HOW THIS IS A DAY OLD THREAD AND THERE ARE ALREADY 90 PAGES OF RANTING TO THIS! I am posting this because I want someone to realize this is a problem and get it fixed asap. They really screwed the players on this one.

I will give them no more than two months to fix this, it degrades most of the appeal to the game, and I would feel better going back to LOTRO, a 2005 MMO with infinitely better graphics, than having to re-assure myself every time I get back on that this will maybe get fixed.

Actually this is the 5th instance of this thread with over 500 pages

Why has game quality gone soooo down since COD started pumping out sequels every 7 months? I watched the videos for this game and followed its progress LONG before there was ever a release date. Why did they **** the graphics so much? All of the released "in game" videos and pictures look great, yet when I get on to play it fully maxed out, it looks like i'm playing a wii game. Come on! Zero AA, Med-Res textures at BEST...***.... The voice acting and story are good, but they do not compensate! ****** graphics take away AT LEAST 50% of the appeal, leaving little left to appreciate. I should have listened to the customer reviews instead of the "professional" critiques on this. BIOWARE, TAKE NOTICE ON HOW THIS IS A 5 DAY OLD THREAD AND THERE ARE ALREADY 90 PAGES OF RANTING TO THIS! I am posting this because I want someone to realize this is a problem and get it fixed asap. They really screwed the players on this one.

2 months, you're more generous than I am. I want a fix within 30 days and a solid "we're fixing it" by the end of this month.

Edited by United_Strafes

The big difference in my character in hi-res has nice clean blacks, with it in regular they turn to muddled light greys and no amount of tweaking my settings in control panel is changing that.

That's true. I've seen it in the cut scenes like that and it looks pretty awesome. Earlier screenies of reflecting floors and whatnot make me wonder what else is being withheld. At least I have a few lines this way instead of a complete grayish blob.

Meh people dismiss it as graphic snobs being graphic snobs, which isn't the case, the textures aren't graphic snob bad, they're just bad, plain and simple.

I have to agree. This issue has been an epic technical failure, and an even worse public relations failure.

No, he said nothing of the sort.

He said improvments to visual fidelity. And what does that even mean?

Are they fixing the attrocious, hidiously pathetic draw distance on foliage?

How bout the low res textures?

Who knows!

But wait! He said visual fidelity, so /thread.

I mean, really?

Yeah actually he did. Just because you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill doesnt mean thats what he said.

With that said, thank you for all of your responses. We understand everyone's desires around this issue, and although it's not going to be an overnight fix, as mentioned we're working on addressing this. Many of the suggestions you have made are similar to potential changes the development team is investigating.

I rounded up the development team once more and had another discussion, and wanted to update you with a better timeline and some more precise details on what we're doing right now.

The first major changes will be in our next major Game Update, which will have the version number of 1.2. Those changes will bring greater visual fidelity to your character and those around you, but will still allow for good performance in situations where a lot of characters are on-screen at once. In other words, for those screenshots of your character in their best gear, you should see a marked improvement.

Other potential changes are being discussed right now – as I said, many of which are similar to changes suggested by many of you. As usual, you’ll see these sorts of changes on our Public Test Server before they make it into the live game. Right now we cannot commit to a live date for the 1.2 Game Update, but it will be within Q1 2012.

SOund like they are going to make the graphics better AND keep performance good. Its a win win situation.

I was all for the WE NEED A RESPONSE crowd. Really I was. But SR has literally bent over backward to give you info on this issue and you all are raging like a bunch of little children even after he has straight up said THEY KNOW and THEY ARE WORKING/FIXING it.

Seriously. I HATE the current game textures. But I now have a promise from Ried and the Devs they are working on the issue, and thats good enough for me. They cant just wave a damn wand and turn textures back on. And I understand that.

As an after thought, these forums have got to be the worst forums I have ever been on. Dare say I think they are even worse then WoW? So much rage and hate and crying.

Its uncalled for. MOST of you are adults or young adults. Start acting like it.

Forums are bad, but whats even worse is, when someone lures you in under false pretense

like bioware themselfs.

They advertised with "highres" textures, knowing the engine cannot even do it on modern systems.

Next time maybe consider telling us about your funk upfront?

I am not willing to pay for it.

Edited by Ommm

Just wanted to chime in here with my own 2 cents.... I am extremely disappointed and unhappy with the initial response, and the fact that the situation arose in the first place.

I find it dismaying that the level of character detail currently in game was considered acceptable. Apparently that decision was made at some point - and it was a bad call - either the choice to keep it as it is now, or whatever happened development-wise to force this "my armor looks like mud" situation.

Bioware can and should have done better.

I understand that it's not an immediate, easy thing to fix... but it should have been dealt with and handled well before launch.

I also understand that gameplay is ultimately king, and graphics are somewhat secondary concerns, but that's only true up to an extent, and ultimately it's a bit of a false choice. We shouldnt have to choose between one or the other, and there is a certain minimum level of graphic standards that should be expected in today's market, and Bioware's current character textures fall very, very short of that right now.

That being said, I do appreciate the follow-up response. I can acknowledge their attempt to remedy the problem, even while fully aware that they are trying to fix a mistake they caused and shouldnt have made in the first place. It's a start, but I'm still unhappy that they are at this point.

This is not something that will force me to unsub immediately, but it's certainly a strike against Bioware, it doesnt make me a happy customer, and it's just another small, constant annoyance thrown on the pile. Ultimately for many people, myself included, this kind of thing can easily lessen my interest and commitment to the game itself.

It definitely does not cause me any warm feelings towards Bioware or further my confidence in their abilities, or increase my trust that they'll make good decisions.

Not cool, guys. Big screwup for me.

They're still trying to figure out the problem. Whatever their intended goal may be, it would be irresponsible to post it as they don't know if they can fulfill it. The best course of action is to simply say that they're working on making the issue better. If they say "we intend X to happen", you know that 3 months down the road, if they didn't achieve their goal exactly (even if they came close), every hater from America to China would be saying "U PROMIZZED US FIXZ, UNSUBBBBB". It may not reassure me or you as much, but I understand WHY he did it, and I would probably do it were I in his shoes.

I don't disagree with what you said, but I was responding to an argument where participant A kept insisting that SR's comment directly stated "High rez textures in Q1" while participant B kept insisting that he didn't use those exact words, so you can't draw that conclusion.

come on get serious that explanation is just plain ********,someone posted ff14 pics that look way better than swtor, they have the same issues to deal with when it comes to loading data for several characters and they sorted them out

Tera online looks more smooth refined and just visually more impressive, is said to have server lags though

so can't we find something in between those two, or better why the hell didn't you manage to find a solution better than "ah let's scrap this, let's just advertise with it" when those issue were obviously already present in beta

I would like to like this game, but crap like this is just pissing me off, if other game companies can do this, you should be able to do it too

and that answer was basically just a big polite dragged over a page NO, you don't get decent graphics, deal with ****** textures

The attempt at handwaving and 'these are not the textures you are looking for' that came straight from SR earlier today makes me very distrustful. I'm seriously worried that his latest posts about them taking measures to improve the fidelity of the game's graphics are just more hand waving and they are hoping the protests will fade away.

I would really like a firm commitment from one of the producers that this issue is going to be fixed. Honestly, SR burned my trust too much for me to just wait and see what comes out in the next 3 or 4 months. I know the few accounts that my family and I hold are a drop in the bucket, but I'm hoping we aren't the only ones that will hold back on resubbing til we get an honest commitment.

I have to agree. This issue has been an epic technical failure, and an even worse public relations failure.

Batman on PC kinda had a similar situation, and still does to my knowledge because the tessellation and HBAO DX11 features didn't work, still the game looked great with DX9 textures and were nowhere near a muddled mess like we see here, i'm not expecting tesselation quality textures, but a crisp clean normal 2012 texture is no to much to ask imo.

Yeah actually he did. Just because you want to make a mountain out of a mole hill doesnt mean thats what he said.

SOund like they are going to make the graphics better AND keep performance good. Its a win win situation.

I was all for the WE NEED A RESPONSE crowd. Really I was. But SR has literally bent over backward to give you info on this issue and you all are raging like a bunch of little children even after he has straight up said THEY KNOW and THEY ARE WORKING/FIXING it.

Seriously. I HATE the current game textures. But I now have a promise from Ried and the Devs they are working on the issue, and thats good enough for me. They cant just wave a damn wand and turn textures back on. And I understand that.

As an after thought, these forums have got to be the worst forums I have ever been on. Dare say I think they are even worse then WoW? So much rage and hate and crying.

Its uncalled for. MOST of you are adults or young adults. Start acting like it.

And you still have yet to quote me where he says specifically what they are improving.

Till you can do that, stop thinking you're clever.

So again. no. He didn't.

Edited by Your_dominus

Due to a horrible unopimized piss poor engine.

Stop attributing the reason for no higher res textures to hardware. It's just not true.

Or it is hardware constrained due to the piss poor game engine. The same thing?....but not.

I'll say it again. I can play Lotro, Aion, or Conan to name 3 maxed out, in busy areas, and they look 2x better than TOR.

as a general rule of the internet

pics or it didnt happen. and im serious as i would like to see this myself.

ok, so now you are assuming that i, knowing full well that the high rez textures have a possibility of crashing my computer (hypothetically) that i would come to the forums and ***** about that? do you see when i will win the lottery? what are my lucky numbers?!

the ques were artificial and as such a poor argument to try and use. if the que times were legitimate and people were crashing to desktop due to graphics issues, and had not the common sense to lower the fing graphics till it didn't crash anymore, i would have no sympathy for them.

No, I'm not assuming anything. If they had left High-res in, people who used it would crash in high pop areas like the Fleet (BW has the metrics... it's not an assumption).

So, one of two things would have happened:

1) They would ***** about crashing and having to re-queue.

2) They would ***** about having to turn off High res in order to avoid crashing.

It would be no different than it is now, except that thousands of people would have been even more pissed off because they were crashing (losing game-time) and having to re-queue.

So yes, it was better that they disabled it from every possible angle. As I already stated, it was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, and the path they took was less damaging and had the least negative consequences.

Do you understand yet?

Edited by Kashaan

So freaking disappointed in that answer. Really taking the pee with that.

I went all out (for me :D)on a new comp so I could show this game in all its glory, and all we get is quick reshuffle on the settings screen and a "suck it up guys".

Garbage.

Im a huge fan of the whole star wars franchise, more books than I should have, dvd's and videos, still got a few of the toys knocking about. But crap service is not something you can tolerate for long.

Edit: quick spec list for all out so I dont get called on that;

I7 2600k

Z68 asus mobo

8gig gskill ram

Asus GTX570

SSD 120G

1Tb storage drive

All wrapped in a Coolermaster HAF-X <Awesome case, keep stuff so cool, yet really quiet, top draw.

Edited by svenholio