Why the Autoface abilities.

Speno

I'm going to have to actually try to target something behind me then hit tracer to see if I automatically turn and fire. It never occurred to me to even try that on purpose. The way I understood it and I believe I've seen quite a few Red "Not Facing Target" messages, They have to be in front of you when you initiate the cast. If during the cast they get behind you to exploit an interrupt then your character turns and finishes the cast and fires. If they are able to once again run through you before you initiate the next cast you won't be able to and you will get the red message. This seems to work on the same principle as a channeled cast, have to face when starting but will turn and continue until channel is done.

If it indeed allows you to never turn but just tab and shoot no matter where your target is then I agree it may be a lazy, boring way to pvp. But, before we get our panties in a bundle that some players don't see pvp as serious business and don't believe that the skill required somehow translates into any real world self worth, we may want to look into those players employing hacks or third party progs to win. They actually seem to think that cheating is an acceptable method of flexing their epeen.

TL/DR

I think you have to face target to initiate cast but cannot be interrupted by being run through during cast. If so then this is the way it should be

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, no worries, all games need bottom-feeders like you. You used the term auto-aim instead of auto-face. I'm going to make wild assumptions like you. So you keyboard turn in this game and require auto-face, and you need auto-aim in CS. I'm sure sucking at games is nice, so I recommened you try Hello Kitty Online Adventures, but that might be too challenging of a game, because I heard their PvP is cutthroat. I'm sure you're good at something. Everyone is.

I'm pretty happy with my educational background compared to yours, because unless you graduated top of your class in high school and uni, I know I have you beat hands down.

However, I do agree with your suggestion that turning off auto-face should require some sort of collision detection, or grace period-if they walk through your model, so we don't get the same issues as backstabs in TF2.

You are a simple doosh. I don't play Valve games I hate that dick who owns it. And he owes me money. What I am good at is boning your wife... just ask her.

"Melee jousting with ranged classes and forcing the ranged class to suffer for the melee's laggy teleport running is an archaic mechanic and im glad it is abolished"

This is an example of someone who understands mechanics. You simply think some rating in a broken mini game gives you some insight. You are wrong.

Say hi to your wife for me.

You must not play many ranged classes in PvP. It isn't impossible to track melee running through you every second, but it sure as hell isn't fun. The autofacing may seem unfair to melee, but that should encourage you to use your interrupts and cc more effectively rather than try to re-gimp ranged classes.

And autoface is pretty much a necessity for Snipers/Gunslingers who have to be stationary for best damage output.

This is a huge thing that breaks PvP. It also make tracer missile broken as hell. If Tracer missile didnt have autoface it would be a perfectly fine move in PvP. I am a rank 55 , 500+ exp shadow and for me I have to get behind a person for one of my moves. I a usually a clairvoyant strike person but whenever I have my skill buff up for backstab I use it.

Now as everyone is running around creating chaos, doing LOS and Position we have commandos and BH's sitting in back autofacing everyone so they dont have to move rarely at all.

Someone please explain to me why this would be a good thing in PvP. If it is I am fine with it, but to me some classes DONT need nerfs just simple fixes like this.

Becuse the netcoding in this game is terrible, just someone can backstab you without ever being directly behind you (at least not from your clients point of view)

I would say fix the netcodeing and add server side syncing and checks befor disabling the autofacing garbage.

Though honestly i dont see this happening as its clear the netcodeing was designed solely around lowering there server bandwidth overhead. (almost everything is clientsided with no server sidechecks)

You must not play many ranged classes in PvP. It isn't impossible to track melee running through you every second, but it sure as hell isn't fun. The autofacing may seem unfair to melee, but that should encourage you to use your interrupts and cc more effectively rather than try to re-gimp ranged classes.

And autoface is pretty much a necessity for Snipers/Gunslingers who have to be stationary for best damage output.

This is probably the only mmo where ranged classes don't really suffer in the damage department relative to melee for the most part (which they should, you know, since they get range and all).

That and how seemingly every ranged class has some sort of root/kb and hard cc?

Yeah

This is a huge thing that breaks PvP. It also make tracer missile broken as hell. If Tracer missile didnt have autoface it would be a perfectly fine move in PvP. I am a rank 55 , 500+ exp shadow and for me I have to get behind a person for one of my moves. I a usually a clairvoyant strike person but whenever I have my skill buff up for backstab I use it.

Now as everyone is running around creating chaos, doing LOS and Position we have commandos and BH's sitting in back autofacing everyone so they dont have to move rarely at all.

Someone please explain to me why this would be a good thing in PvP. If it is I am fine with it, but to me some classes DONT need nerfs just simple fixes like this.

The autofacing is there becuse the games netcodeing designed and focused on lowering the server overhead. (in otherwords is terrible for fast paced gameplay). By this i mean the majority of aspects are purely clientside with no serverside checks.

The autofacing is there becuse the games netcodeing designed and focused on lowering the server overhead. (in otherwords is terrible for fast paced gameplay). By this i mean the majority of aspects are purely clientside with no serverside checks.

Agreed. You can't not have auto-aim/auto-face when there is weak synchronicity between the multiple clients and server. Animations firing off after you see the effect on the target really highlights this issue.

i tell you what you can have auto face removed when jumping behind a caster or channeled ability doesn't break line of sight. Is probably most annoying feature in any mmo, is nothing worse then getting to end of a cast just as enemy jumps behind you or runs through you and get line of sight bull. I don't mind removeal of autoface but ONLY if all my spells fire regardless of enemy's position around me, ONLY objects breaking line of sight and i'd be fine with it. As is most are griping because can't bunny hope around casters and win.

no i dont just stand there and cast like a nub but doesnt make this feature any less moronic then autoface.

Because melee running around people like spastic morons has never been a good quality of an mmo. I laugh at the dudes still doing this

Hahah QFT..

It is fine when the melee runs around you and makes casting a 1.5 sec cast time abilty almost impossible but it is broken when its vice versa..

i tell you what you can have auto face removed when jumping behind a caster or channeled ability doesn't break line of sight. Is probably most annoying feature in any mmo, is nothing worse then getting to end of a cast just as enemy jumps behind you or runs through you and get line of sight bull. I don't mind removeal of autoface but ONLY if all my spells fire regardless of enemy's position around me, ONLY objects breaking line of sight and i'd be fine with it. As is most are griping because can't bunny hope around casters and win.

no i dont just stand there and cast like a nub but doesnt make this feature any less moronic then autoface.

So let me ask, what disadvantages does range then get from allowing a melee character to get close to them?

In this game it's almost nothing, not to mention the plethora of cc that ranged classes have.

The thing is, even with WoW, they don't have autofacing but they do let a lot of abilities not have facing checks such as if I'm on my Warlock I can fear/apply DoT's without facing my opponent. That said, WoW is a lot more fluid and extremely responsive so mouseturning to use DPS abilities works well.

I'm against positional requirements for the record after frustrations playing Rogue/Feral.

I think the real problem and the source of it all, comes down to really bad game play and scripting they have a huge list of small things to work out. i think auto face is bad i play mmo's only for the hard-core pvp and i want my mmo do be the same way. but until they fix the game play all around in this game and smooth it up a lot. auto facing is probably the quicker fix for bioware.

Does GW2 have auto facing, any one know ?

i hope not because its a sigh of bad coding and server lag quick fixes.

Hahah QFT..

It is fine when the melee runs around you and makes casting a 1.5 sec cast time abilty almost impossible but it is broken when its vice versa..

Good point. When you design an interface like this you have to make choices. If you want casting times on a ranged character then you need auto-face/auto-aim. Otherwise you need to make the cast instant and provide collision so the bunny hopping, "Auto-Click 5000" mouse users, don't run arond like deranged rhesus monkees with their butts on fire.

No auto-face means all ranged has to be instant cast.

These clowns are confusing first person shooters with RPG's.

Edited by AngryBuddhist

So let me ask, what disadvantages does range then get from allowing a melee character to get close to them?

In this game it's almost nothing, not to mention the plethora of cc that ranged classes have.

being interrupted? i am sorry if you don't know how to hit an interrupt but see had these sentinels, like interrupt me 3-4 times in a row because they knew how to hit that little interrupt key, in addition we are SQUISHIE! most of us have low armor, and low defenses in close.

If your so bad cant hit interrupt key then you need to go back to call of duty is all there is to it. Breaking line of sight by going behind a caster is pretty much the key reason melee destroy casters in say WoW because they cant actually cast in most cases with rogue can snare them infinitely and jump behind them to break casts.

seriously melee tear casters apart in this game just need to understand when to use your CC and interrupts and if your not using them right yes you will get man handled.

being interrupted? i am sorry if you don't know how to hit an interrupt but see had these sentinels, like interrupt me 3-4 times in a row because they knew how to hit that little interrupt key, in addition we are SQUISHIE! most of us have low armor, and low defenses in close.

If your so bad cant hit interrupt key then you need to go back to call of duty is all there is to it. Breaking line of sight by going behind a caster is pretty much the key reason melee destroy casters in say WoW because they cant actually cast in most cases with rogue can snare them infinitely and jump behind them to break casts.

seriously melee tear casters apart in this game just need to understand when to use your CC and interrupts and if your not using them right yes you will get man handled.

I play an assasin. I use my one insta cast interrupt (12 sec cd). Then, theoretically I have a knockback (which doesn't work because it doesn't interrupt until the end of the animation, so it can take almost THREE seconds for the interrupt to go off between waiting for a GCD and waiting for the animation to finish). I suppose I also have my stun, but I'll be cc'ed long before then by the kb/root.

Please, assume more. Any good ranged doesn't just spam one ability, though it sounds like that's what you're doing.

Edited by Asnine

I play an assasin. I use my one insta cast interrupt (12 sec cd). Then, theoretically I have a knockback (which doesn't work because it doesn't interrupt until the end of the animation, so it can take almost THREE seconds for the interrupt to go off between waiting for a GCD and waiting for the animation to finish). I suppose I also have my stun, but I'll be cc'ed long before then by the kb/root.

Please, assume more. Any good ranged doesn't just spam one ability, though it sounds like that's what you're doing.

Playing Devil's advocate I do think it's strange there's no spell pushback and of course certain classes like my beloved Gunslinger can't be interrupted (whilst in cover anyway). They can be CCed if Hunker down isn't up.

Good point. When you design an interface like this you have to make choices. If you want casting times on a ranged character then you need auto-face/auto-aim. Otherwise you need to make the cast instant and provide collision so the bunny hopping, "Auto-Click 5000" mouse users, don't run arond like deranged rhesus monkees with their butts on fire.

No auto-face means all ranged has to be instant cast.

These clowns are confusing first person shooters with RPG's.

You don't need auot-face.

Rift has a great solution, which is that facing only matters when you START the cast.

So, if they run through you or bunny hop behind you after you started casting, the cast still goes off.

Rift has a great solution, which is that facing only matters when you START the cast.

So, if they run through you or bunny hop behind you after you started casting, the cast still goes off.

Rift doesn't have severe ability lag which means you're unsure of when the cast will actually start :p

great idea. but for me as a sniper auto facing is what allows me to fend off an op/scoun attack.

we have to be in cover to do our attacks.

I'm going to have to actually try to target something behind me then hit tracer to see if I automatically turn and fire. It never occurred to me to even try that on purpose. The way I understood it and I believe I've seen quite a few Red "Not Facing Target" messages, They have to be in front of you when you initiate the cast. If during the cast they get behind you to exploit an interrupt then your character turns and finishes the cast and fires. If they are able to once again run through you before you initiate the next cast you won't be able to and you will get the red message. This seems to work on the same principle as a channeled cast, have to face when starting but will turn and continue until channel is done.

If it indeed allows you to never turn but just tab and shoot no matter where your target is then I agree it may be a lazy, boring way to pvp. But, before we get our panties in a bundle that some players don't see pvp as serious business and don't believe that the skill required somehow translates into any real world self worth, we may want to look into those players employing hacks or third party progs to win. They actually seem to think that cheating is an acceptable method of flexing their epeen.

TL/DR

I think you have to face target to initiate cast but cannot be interrupted by being run through during cast. If so then this is the way it should be

This is correct. Everyone here likes to cry about auto face, but it does not auto face UNLESS THE CAST HAS STARTED, it auto-turns with the character if you were able to start the cast.

Just a bunch of bad melee that are mad they can't interrupt by running through someone.

The functionality is fine and works for this game. You want to remove the auto turn WHILE casting, add collision so I can follow you with my mouse.

I do have to point out that with ability lag my interrupt usually strikes about 2 to 3 seconds after I click it, that is if the ability activates in the first place.

And Beelzebubs I don't think you're gonna be able to shoot a machine gun at someone who is standing within 3 to 4 feet in front of you if he has a sword. Sure you can use it to block some strikes but you're not going to fire the machine gun properly at such a close range, nor are you going to be able to wield it as fast and precisely as a sword, that is unless you are Rambo, then you can stand there and fire the gun without using a tripod or having it walk up on you within the first 5 rounds firing ;) . God forbid you are firing a 240G that thing fires rounds off so fast there is no way you are going to use it accurately without it being mounted on a tripod or similar stationary weighted device.

The point of the matter is two fold

1. Ranged should have some negative effect to thier DPS when firing on a person at close range to reciprocate the fact that a melee cannot hit you at all at ranged. You have to admit this is pretty messed up. You do the same damage at either interval yet I do 0 damage at any range beyond 5 meters.

2. Allowing only ranged skills to autoface and not melee is not putting each skill on even grounds.

I am not saying I want autoface. But right now all points considered ranged classes have the advantage prior to player skill being taken into account.

And who knows if they can fix the ability lag and I can fire off my skills when I actually press the skills maybe autofacing won't be so bad. In all other games I have played melee I have never seen this amount of ability lag.

PS

I do give you the point of being "in stealth" regardless if you are in the process of firing due to concentration and noise. But you have to admit to my point of not being as effective at close range combat as someone with melee orientated weapons. Let alone the fact that once I close the gap the first thing I am going to do is slice through your machine gun, cut that thing in half and render it useless within the first 3 second of a fight.

Good debate so far bud.

Edited by Apocropheliac