Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

Yes, Blizzard wastes time and money writing quest text that almost no one reads. This is not very expensive, or time consuming though; and Blizzard knows better than to sacrifice parts of Development that actually matter, for it

BioWare... well...

I agree it is not as expensive, but it still takes time. BW did the same thing, they wrote the dialog out first and took it a step further, VO.

What do people really want? Right click a guy, and the next thing that happens is "Go kill X number of Y"? No reason as to why you need to do that?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We know we can skip it, the point is we feel that the VA is hindering development of the game, if they weren't spending time and money on VA, they would be spending it making other parts of the game better, or new/more content.

How would you possibly know that? They could have just produced the SAME GAME at a much much lower budget. It could very well be the only thing that would have changed would be quest text instead of VO.

You cannot possibly know that BW would spend the same amount of money if they did not do VO.

Just like I cannot know the opposite. But the game is what it is.

Edited by Nighthawked

I'd say it's not worth it.

Most of the stuff my character says is repeated. 70% of the voice acting is alien talk. If I hear "Massa wompa." again I think I'll scream. Most of the characters sound the same.

Don't get me wrong. I love the voice acting although it can get a little tiresome. I just think it's been blown way out of proportion and shouldn't be the USP for this game. The class quest alone should have been voice acted, nothing else.

I also Think the Voice Acting went a Bit over the Top with some Side Quests.

If they added new Races they wouldnt need more Voice Acting... They use the Same voice for each Race, they just have a Male and Female version.. If they had done 2 Voices per Race, I would have supported The VO

Gonna have to go with nope, it's not worth it. After a while it just gets so obvious that the voice acting actually is pretty poor.

And as someone said earlier in this thread, the voice acting actually is the ONLY thing that differentiates this game from every other MMO out there...:(

Gonna have to go with nope, it's not worth it. After a while it just gets so obvious that the voice acting actually is pretty poor.

And as someone said earlier in this thread, the voice acting actually is the ONLY thing that differentiates this game from every other MMO out there...:(

Yeah :( And Its a Shame that because they focused so much on Single Player Story, and The Voice Overs.. The MMO Experience is currently Sucky, and They forgot to Fix bugs before Releasing. Oops.

And that is what everybody I know and myself want. We want a story for a change. If you look at other BW games, you would have known that heavy VO are to be expected (Mass Effect).

People need to realize that focusing on the very core gameplay does not make this the same as every MMORPG out there, it makes it an MMORPG!

This is like saying Halo is exactly the same as Call of Duty, the story and weapons are the only thing that differentiates between the two.

the voice acting is worth it , yes. just coz OP skips it, don't mean the rest of us don't appreciate it, who wants silent movies with subtitles? my GF says "lets go watch this french film" i say "nah love, footy's on tonight, we'll go read your film another night" (we won't be going to read her film another night.

No. The game clearly has suffered because the voice acting had priority over everything else.

This. SO THIS. Maybe instead of hiring Spike from Cowboy Beebop and other union voice actors they could of dropped money on someone to make their UI able to be customized.

But ToR is a beta for the Mass Effect MMO. A proof of concept that Bioware can MMO.

Heh, I forgot that all the races have the same voice, nice to know it won't put such a huge burden on them making new races, but that's pretty bad in itself.

Maybe they could've given each race it's own voice, if they scrapped all the side quest voice acting.

And that is what everybody I know and myself want. We want a story for a change. If you look at other BW games, you would have known that heavy VO are to be expected (Mass Effect).

People need to realize that focusing on the very core gameplay does not make this the same as every MMORPG out there, it makes it an MMORPG!

This is like saying Halo is exactly the same as Call of Duty, the story and weapons are the only thing that differentiates between the two.

If they called this a single player game i would agree with you.

And Halo is the same genre as Call of Duty...

So far i think TOR plays as a single player game (KotOR) with chat. That's it, but that's off topic and a total different discussion. ;)

I find WoW to be the same thing, we just get VO in this game and actual focus on the story. I can quest solo in WoW (I actually did), and not see anybody for many zones. WoW is a ghost town after level 10 or so. Everybody is in org/storm after that

Heh, I forgot that all the races have the same voice, nice to know it won't put such a huge burden on them making new races, but that's pretty bad in itself.

Maybe they could've given each race it's own voice, if they scrapped all the side quest voice acting.

When I made my Human Consular on EGA Release Day I was like.. Wow that Voice is Dull.. Ill try Mirialan Race for Different Voice.. Oh what the? Its the same ./Facefloor

So thats the main reason I'm put off Leveling my level 23 Consular.. The Voice sounds like an Old Maths Teacher ./shiver

It Really puts me off in Flashpoints when, Somone else has the Same Class and they Have EXACTLY the Same Voice as my Guy, If my Guy is Body Type 2 and they have a Body Type 4 with the Same Similar High Pitched Voice, then Its just off Putting, Make me NOT Appreciate some of the Voice Over.

Edited by Alohen

Massive misuse of resources. I keep hearing that. Are you sure? How much do you get paid to spend an afternoon or two reading words into a microphone? Because, seriously, it's clear they knocked the dialog out pretty systematically (see posts above about voice actors not really being in character, so all it took was one good take per line).

And don't tell me that the lipsynching or integration of audio cost a bunch. It is not hard to make a sound file play, and they bought the lipsynching algorithms from someone else. I'm sure that was expensive, but if you're going to do voiceovers, you might as well do lipsynchs.

So, Yes, they took some time to record some stuff, which was written by some guys that would have written that text anyway. How much of the ridiculous budget on this game actually went to the actors? Do we know that?

I agree it is not as expensive, but it still takes time. BW did the same thing, they wrote the dialog out first and took it a step further, VO.

What do people really want? Right click a guy, and the next thing that happens is "Go kill X number of Y"? No reason as to why you need to do that?

In terms of getting the recording of the voice-overs and then animating, including the lip-synch, the writing is merely the tiniest blip of the workload. You're seriously underestimating the amount of extra work and resources that has gone into moving from text based to fully voice acted, animated quest givers.

It's great to have, but if new content is released roughly on the same kinda timescale as other mmo's, really, how worthwhile is it to have every single quest done in this way when for the most part you're just seeing the same ones over and over while you do your daily's?

Class quests, brilliant, Over-arching planetary quest, maybe. Side quests, absolute drain on resources that could have been spent innovating more long-lasting aspects of an mmo.

For me, no.

If the voice acting, and story continued into the end game, I would say yes. But as they essentially end with Act 3, they're fairly pointless to me. The way I see it, an MMO is long term, having a story in place for the first 48-60 hours of your character is fairly useless.

IMO, the story should continue into level 50 content, such as Raids, Flashpoints and PvP objectives. Maybe in the future they will.

Still enjoy the game though, but the voice acting didn't really make it any more special.

Massive misuse of resources. I keep hearing that. Are you sure? How much do you get paid to spend an afternoon or two reading words into a microphone? Because, seriously, it's clear they knocked the dialog out pretty systematically (see posts above about voice actors not really being in character, so all it took was one good take per line).

And don't tell me that the lipsynching or integration of audio cost a bunch. It is not hard to make a sound file play, and they bought the lipsynching algorithms from someone else. I'm sure that was expensive, but if you're going to do voiceovers, you might as well do lipsynchs.

So, Yes, they took some time to record some stuff, which was written by some guys that would have written that text anyway. How much of the ridiculous budget on this game actually went to the actors? Do we know that?

Most of it. Consider the game has 0 innovation other than voice over and as an example still couldn't launch with optimized AA.

Unions. So you know they paid out the nose for the union actors, the union guy that did the recording, and the union guy that cleans the splittle off of the microphone.

Edited by RossaK

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.