The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was just the class quests and main planetary quest chain it would have been awesome, the novelty value would have lasted longer, the story would have been less muddled by the distracting irrelevance of side quests and resources could have been better utilised on some of the more overriding aspects of an mmo.

Sorta. You can easily notice the voice actors were just handed a list of stuff to say and they didn't know the actual situations in which they should say it, so they can adjust their tone.

Example. Gearbox guy in the beginning of the trooper quest.

He says "We're a tight unit, you'll like it with us". However, the way he says "You'll like it with us", given the tone of the actor, would mean "You'll like it with us...and not other guys".

No, BioWares failure on putting too much emphasise onto something a lot of players aren't interested in.

The class stories are great but the rest is just the same as in every MMO, "go kill x because they're bad", except that's drawn out to over a minute of dialogue.

Same goes for the choices you have in most quests as well, I'm not following the dialogue so I'm just pressing a random number, more wasted time and money.

You see, BioWare isn't appealing to you Wrath babies. They're appealing to the fans of their games, those that like and listen to the dialogue.

Side quests really didn't need to be voice acted.

I agree completely. I listened to them at first, but I found myself skipping them after awhile because I just didn't care about why I had to go save thier friends because they couldn't for some reason or something very similar. I would have much rather those resources been put into open world pvp and end game stuff. I did listen to the whole storyline voice overs though and I thought that aspect of it was worth it.

Cant the same thing be said about WoW and their quest text? I stopped reading those about half way to level 85. I never re-read them on any of my other alts.

So did Blizzard waste their time writing up many many paragraphs of quest text?

What did people expect from a BW game anyway? Their major game series, Mass Effect, operates the same way.

They took the popularity of Mass Effects gameplay, combined it with Star Wars, and created a decent MMORPG. Some people listen to the VO, some people do not.

However, those that do NOT like it can skip it. If it is not included in the game to begin with, people like myself do NOT get a choice to listen to it. Why ruin that for the people that WANT to listen to it and feel connected with the story?

Not worth it at all. I think BW spent TONS of time and money on this, when they should use it on tweaking the actual gaming experience. Ability delays, Combat logs, Target of target, all the frikkin bugs...

Almost everybody is skipping the cinematics or cut scenes anyway. Plus some cut scenes are VERY inappropriately inserted. For example Bonetrasher boss in Hutt Hospitality Raid.

I think voice acting is at the same stage that live action cutscenes were in the 90s. Until you can comptuer generate the content (like with CGI cutscenes) the cost will always make them inefficient.

If you can generate computer voices that sound like real voices and make them say anything you may need in the game then youc an make voice acting for every dialogue feasible.

But until then BW will at some point in SWTORs life stop dubbing all side quests and restrict the voice acting to the main quests.

Cant the same thing be said about WoW and their quest text? I stopped reading those about half way to level 85. I never re-read them on any of my other alts.

It takes minor effort and resources to write some text, it takes a lot more to add voice acting.

Voicing side quests was a tremendous waste of resources, that could have been spent more effectively in other areas of the game.

I wouldn't have even considered buying this game if it wasn't for the voice acting, so for me it is absolutely worth every penny. The fact that they spend a huge part of their budget on voice acting shows that they find storytelling very important. I would go as far as to say that stories are the core feature of this game.

So to me it seems that everyone that bought the game and is now saying the voice acting is a waste of money has chosen the wrong game. Spacebaring through this game just turns it into the same grind we find in every other mmo.

The voice acting gives me hope they will keep focus on the story instead of aiming at the exact same demographic every other mmo aims at: the raiders.

Everytime I see someone writing "most","everyone","majority" I tend to discredit their entire post.

You have no way to know what the majority think,want etc.

Feel free to express YOUR opinion but do not try and claim you speak for the playerbase.

Personally I listen to almost every scene. I have skipped one here and there because the quest itself wasn´t that interesting.

On my alts I skip most of the sidequests that I have already listened to before but follow the class/planet main quests.

You see, BioWare isn't appealing to you Wrath babies. They're appealing to the fans of their games, those that like and listen to the dialogue.

Wrong. Its sub-par dialogue compared even to any of BIOWARES OTHER GAMES, so, if you weren't such a fanboi, maybe you could say 'Hey, i like VA, but its really done poorly in THIS game'.

What did people expect from a BW game anyway? Their major game series, Mass Effect, operates the same way.

They took the popularity of Mass Effects gameplay, combined it with Star Wars, and created a decent MMORPG. Some people listen to the VO, some people do not.

However, those that do NOT like it can skip it. If it is not included in the game to begin with, people like myself do NOT get a choice to listen to it. Why ruin that for the people that WANT to listen to it and feel connected with the story?

Yes, Blizzard wastes time and money writing quest text that almost no one reads. This is not very expensive, or time consuming though; and Blizzard knows better than to sacrifice parts of Development that actually matter, for it

BioWare... well...

Not worth it.

It would have been better to have cut 50% of the voice acting and spent all those millions of dollars on including a lot of those missing MMO features instead.

And ruin it for the people that actually ENJOY every dialog (even the stupid side-quests)?

YOU are given a choice to skip it.

If they remove it, people like myself DO NOT get a choice.

And ruin it for the people that actually ENJOY every dialog (even the stupid side-quests)?

Do you really, honestly enjoy listening to some idiot tell you he needs to to kill XYZ, 50 times per Planet?

Not worth it.

It would have been better to have cut 50% of the voice acting and spent all those millions of dollars on including a lot of those missing MMO features instead.

Yes, let's remove the main thing that makes this mmo different from other mmo's so we can have the same thing we have been playing for ages...

First they complain it's a wow clone, then they complain it's not enough of a wow clone and now they complain it's not wow. Just play wow instead? (you can replace the word "wow" with just about every single mmo out there since they are all nearly the same)

We know we can skip it, the point is we feel that the VA is hindering development of the game, if they weren't spending time and money on VA, they would be spending it making other parts of the game better, or new/more content.

Yes it is worth it. Me, and all my friends who play listen to the majority of the voice acting and enjoy it as a core part of the game.

In the future I believe all MMOs will be fully voice acted, except for daily quests which you receive from terminals.