The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely worth it - and the side quests also needed to be voice acted to ensure a feeling of consistency.

But then I'm not really in any way a traditional "hardcore" MMO player. I've played a bunch of them over the last decade, but I've also quit each and every one of them again within 1-6 months, usually closest to one.

That SWTOR in many regards feels a lot like a singleplayer RPG experience is one of the major reasons I like it. Will I still be playing in six months? Seems unlikely given my track record with the MMO genre, but at least I'll have been through one of my best MMO experiences ever, and I have the voice acting and story focus to thank for that.

Edited by Miths

I used to be a great supporter of it, but it becomes old fast imo and I'm now a great supporter of the space bar which is sad. It's a nice touch for the casuals or grabbing some solo players, but for MMO hardcore it's not doing the trick sadly.

Not complaining though since we can spam space bar and 1.

Yes it is worth it.

I am not skipping any dialogue whatsoever. I don't understand what the point of skipping dialogue is in an MMO where voice acting is a significant differentiator. I listen to all of the dialogue for any quest I do.

Even if the quest is menial, it's nice to have some kind of personality with the questgiver. It provides motivation for your own responses.

Though I actually vary my light/dark side response based on the situation. I can see people who don't care just choose the most good/evil option.

The people who don't like the voice work done and skip dialogue just to get to the action will soon hop to the next MMO coming along or go back to WoW. They joined this game for the wrong reasons.

I personally think voice acting is so vital to this game that if that slowly gets diluted and then tossed out, we lost the major point of playing this game.

But to mediate both sides of this - I guess an option could exist where you could automatically skip cinematics and go straight to 2 responses that say "Light" and "Dark" without even knowing what they are...

I listen to the dialogue for quests the first time around, but not the second.

It's interesting... I find that it adds a lot to the atmosphere on some characters, but on others it a big turnoff for me. I started out as a smuggler that gets to say "OK" or "FO" pretty much every conversation. Then I made a trooper and a jedi, where it's hard to end a conversation without a "sir" or a "master", and it made me want to skip the dialogue.

I guess I'd rather have the dialogue I enjoy more than text, but text more than the dialogue I don't like.

I find this thread really pointless. It is pointless trolling of those who can't ever face the fact that WoW failed to stand up to the NEW king of MMORPGs: SW:TOR.

Bioware has had major success with the Voice Acting and the proof is in the success, the millions who have begun playing during Early Access ALONE!

The proof only INCREASES from that so far. The game is still a kid in someways, and already a king in others.

The voice acting, is VERY much worth it, and those who say otherwise...well Im afraid they can't see the real value of something good as they have been babied with the weak MMOs such as WoW for way to long.

The voice acting alone has made this game far more enjoyable, I can say I am not alone in that aspect. The romance for the Sith Warrior with Vette is VERY much WORTH the devoted time Bioware has spent on it. How immersed would you be if it was just words on a screen?

I LOVE the Voice acting rather than a window of text. If it weren't in the game, I would be playing Skyrim. While I will skip conversations from time to time, almost always on my alts, I am very happy this is in the game. All of my guildmates also listen and that includes the Nth time through a FP.

You are welcome to your opinions but do not speak for me when you say it is a waste.

As you stated, non-class quests are SPACEBARred through by most players, I would assume, most of the time.

It would be nice if they dialed back their voice-overs on non-class quests. Maybe just have more mission dropboxes or something.

Also, it amazes me how many of YOUR character responses are canned. It seems with all that voiceover budget they would re-use less of the main character's phrases and responses.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Murder and Mayhem..... "

But I feel that BioWare are wasting a lot of time and resources on the voice overs for everything else.

I don't. Love the voice acting quality.

Don't know how many times I've been turned off from a game because of bad voice acting for characters.

Feel so much more into the game when you have dialogues that don't make you cringe when you hear them.

As you stated, non-class quests are SPACEBARred through by most players, I would assume, most of the time.

It would be nice if they dialed back their voice-overs on non-class quests. Maybe just have more mission dropboxes or something.

Also, it amazes me how many of YOUR character responses are canned. It seems with all that voiceover budget they would re-use less of the main character's phrases and responses.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Murder and Mayhem..... "

You know what happens when you assume, right ;)

It isn't possible for me to disagree with you more strongly. Yes, some of the responses are 'canned', but it makes sense in the response in and of itself.

Cutting back on the voice acting would be a mistake.

Now, if you would ask for an option to allow you to set a default dark/light/neutral response to everything because it would better suit the way that you play. Then I would say more power to you.