The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

I'm starting to worry about the cost of voice acting in the future of this game. I, like the majority of people I speak to in this game skip the majority of the dialogues, I only listen to my main story, which is great. But I feel that BioWare are wasting a lot of time and resources on the voice overs for everything else.

I know BioWare have said several times that they've recorded far ahead with voice dialogues, but imagine the work load if they decided to add new races in an expansion, it would be huge to re-write and record dialogue for all of the current quests.

Another problem is that the voice acting was one of the main features that they focused on when advertising/promoting there game, so it'll be unlikely for them to tone it down or even admit it failed.

I just hope they have some kind've statistics that show who is skipping which dialogues, so if only a small percentage of players are listening to everything, they can allocate resources elsewhere.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In short. YES they are. I listen to every line of it at least the first time around. Its part of playing an RPG. People have gotten so use to playing bland MMOs that they have forgotten that the RPGs are their roots. BW has not forgotten this and has created a true MMORPG instead of just another MMO... and this goes for many other RPG features in the game from companions to choices etc. Well done in my opinion.

Another problem is that the voice acting was one of the main features that they focused on when advertising/promoting there game, so it'll be unlikely for them to tone it down or even admit it failed.

What failure are you talking about .. your failure for wanting to skip everything you can on the way to 50?

Its very much worth it, if it had just been text i would have just killed lord grathan's son but hearing grathan's wife's voice made me do something different. It also made me care about the story since i can actually hear it in their voices. Probably wouldn't have a crush on elara dorne if i just read what she was saying.

No, it's not

Only the Class Quests should've been Voice Acted; the rest is skipped by most players anyway

Nobody ive played with yet has skipped the cutscenes...so unless you can provide some statistical analysis im gonna call ********. And since youve cancelled your subscription...why are you even here anymore?

What failure are you talking about .. your failure for wanting to skip everything you can on the way to 50?

No, BioWares failure on putting too much emphasise onto something a lot of players aren't interested in.

The class stories are great but the rest is just the same as in every MMO, "go kill x because they're bad", except that's drawn out to over a minute of dialogue.

Same goes for the choices you have in most quests as well, I'm not following the dialogue so I'm just pressing a random number, more wasted time and money.

I'm on the fence on this one.

I did listen to MOST of the dialogue lines and I really did enjoy it. The voice acting gave me more of a sense of immersion than just clicking accept and running.

However, they didn't need to focus on it as much as they did. I actually got annoyed when I would have a goal set and I wasn't able to reach it due to eight lines of dialogue for a side quest that involved a new voice actor.

If BW had only added cutscenes/voice acting to the class storylines though, it would have felt extremely forced.

My recommendation/criticism is this: Voice acting should have been added to class, planet AND important sidequest storylines. All of the effort that went into dialogue where they would really only say "go kill five of these" wasn't NEEDED. It was enjoyable at times, but I don't think anyone would have complained about it if it wasn't there.

Edited by Knickerus

No, BioWares failure on putting too much emphasise onto something a lot of players aren't interested in.

The class stories are great but the rest is just the same as in every MMO, "go kill x because they're bad", except that's drawn out to over a minute of dialogue.

Same goes for the choices you have in most quests as well, I'm not following the dialogue so I'm just pressing a random number, more wasted time and money.

PROOF please. Like i said...none of the players ive played with to date have felt the need to skip the cutscenes...in fact it generates more immersion then any other MMO. So if youre gonna use words like majority then back it up with numbers. Otherwise just say "ive heard some players skip the cutscenes. do you think that....?" etc etc etc

It's absolutely worth it. This game does too much already to remove the immersion of the game, but removing VA would remove it even more.

It works, and it works really well. I never skip any dialogue, and no one I know does this either (all three of them). Hence the majority thinks that the moon is made of cheese and that Sean Connery wraps bacon around his ears.

They spent millions voicing side quests that virtually everyone is skipping(except the ultra-hardcorde cartman-level SW geeks).

Hearing 20 different voices say 'go kill these 5 droids' or 'please jedi, instead of doing jedi things please repair these windmills for me' is just not interesting and the idiot that budgeted this kind of cash for it should be fired, dragged out into the street and beat down.

The whole voiceover thing would have worked SO MUCH BETTER if they had 1/10th of the quests they do now in the game. They should have have had long, involved, complex quests that actually engaged you and gave you a nice big fat reward at the end, rather than a bajillion 'kill 10 mobs' quests.

Would have saved them a ridiculous amount of money, and would have truly revolutionized the MMO leveling experience. It would have been much better to do 2 or 3 large quests plus your class quest per-level, than the same 10 quests recycled on every planet.

Complete missed opportunity with that kind of budget Bioware...