Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

MAXIMUM PC Rates SWTOR 7 out of 10

Rheemus

So it's some noone never heard of page trying to gain attention by spewing nonsense? Good to know.

They posted a legitimate review with legitimate concerns, why do you feel the need to resist with such force when it's just someones opinion? It makes you look childish.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This review is spot on, even generous. More like 5/10.

I'll also point out that something as foundationally basic as Anti-Aliasing has been curiously exempt from this game, which is truly baffling.

While the client is stable(for the most part)the games lack of features is yet again..baffling.

This hero engine looks and runs like 1995 on my very high end PC.

This game needs another year of cooking and what's sad is we're all now funding this EA/Bioware beta project.

No we're not, I've cancelled until such a day as the more irritating bugs are fixed, CS is vastly improved and there's something genuinely innovative added to the endgame.

It's down to EA and it's shareholders to underwrite the cost of doing that. I'm not going to invest in something I still have to pay for when it's sorted.

But that's me personally. If someone's enjoying it, great, keep on paying. And if my thoughts are in the minority and most are happy with what I consider generic, not a problem, clearly this isn't for me. I'll just check back in from time to time to see how the whole thing evolves.

As far as the review goes, from that particular excerpt, it comes across to me as the fairest I've seen. It see's the potential without ignoring the state it's currently in.

This review is spot on, even generous. More like 5/10.

I'll also point out that something as foundationally basic as Anti-Aliasing has been curiously exempt from this game, which is truly baffling.

While the client is stable(for the most part)the games lack of features is yet again..baffling.

This hero engine looks and runs like 1995 on my very high end PC.

This game needs another year of cooking and what's sad is we're all now funding this EA/Bioware beta project.

Unfortunately I have to agree with most of what you said. :(

SWTOR is a 4/10, not a 7/10

Ganadorf, Its obvious that you don't like this game, I'd say your wrong about TOR been a 4/10 but that's your choice, You obviously have your reasons that may or may not be justified.

But all you seem to comment bashing the game, Yea fair enough there are things wrong with this game like every other MMO that was released before it.

Why are you still here?

They posted a legitimate review with legitimate concerns, why do you feel the need to resist with such force when it's just someones opinion? It makes you look childish.

Uh, yet when there's a fully positive review, it's always "bought".

LFG tools, is a must have in MMO.

without it, i don't think i can have run a single T2 run in rift.

so the hate towards LFG tools, is just silly beyond.

other then that, the guy is right of Maximum.

So are chat bubbles, and UI customizability, and the need for abilities to work properly, and for a sizable portion of the community not to have extreme lag/choppiness unnecessarily, or have a non-existent endgame, or a number of other basic MMORPG features that don't exist.

Edited by Poogination

Ganadorf, Its obvious that you don't like this game, I'd say your wrong about TOR been a 4/10 but that's your choice, You obviously have your reasons that may or may not be justified.

But all you seem to comment bashing the game, Yea fair enough there are things wrong with this game like every other MMO that was released before it.

Why are you still here?

Well he can be right. Think about it. Most of magazines put 7 as "avarage game". Then you have 8,9 and 10.

If you set 5 as avarage then game can score max 3-4. Why ?

+ voice acting

+ star wars

- broken pvp

- broken game mechanics

- empty world

- lack of features

- UI

- terrible customer service

So if we start with 5 as avarage game then I think that comparing this game to others like WoW, Lord of the Rings Online, DC Universe Online and few other games - TOR IS below 5 in terms of features. Voice acting and star wars itself is the only thing that keep this game above 2-3.

meh these review posts are always the same

some nobody nerd writes a review for some random site

nerds who agree say it's a good and fair review

other nerds who don't agree say the reviewer is an idiot or was "bought"

in the end all a game review is is some nerds opinion in print... nothing more nothing less

I don't need another nerd to agree with my opinion or tell my what my opinion should be as I am fully able to form my own... reviews are pointless

Edited by Liquidacid

What is Maximum PC? i've never heard about it before. Reading the article all i can say is someone trying to draw some attention to the site with a review haters will praise.

Seriously, i've never EVER heard about this site till this moment, and i am kinda old.

Its a newsstand magazine that has been around since 98 as maximum and before that as boot magazine. Unfortunately it is more of a credible source for reviews then alot of the other sites i have seen quoted and although overly harsh, imo, pretty dead on. (probably would have given it a 7.5 to 8)

Saying it's "pathetic" that there's no LFD tool, for example, when most of the gaming community is really split on whether they're a good idea or not.

I have to disagree with you on that. Not taking into account my personal feelings about LFD, the "MOST" of gaming community is loving and using the tool. We - the people visiting game boards and discussing this stuff - are the vocal MINORITY. Casuals, which probably make more than 80% of the target player base, would be using LFD if it existed and they surely miss it after games like WoW.

My opinion simply is that BioWare did not implement the LFD in time, and that's why it doesn't exist right now in-game. I'm 100% sure it will come during the next 6 months.

I have to disagree with you on that. Not taking into account my personal feelings about LFD, the "MOST" of gaming community is loving and using the tool. We - the people visiting game boards and discussing this stuff - are the vocal MINORITY. Casuals, which probably make more than 80% of the target player base, would be using LFD if it existed and they surely miss it after games like WoW.

My opinion simply is that BioWare did not implement the LFD in time, and that's why it doesn't exist right now in-game. I'm 100% sure it will come during the next 6 months.

Game needs better LFD tool, but not the community destroying, automatized, cross-server crap from WoW:)

Well he can be right. Think about it. Most of magazines put 7 as "avarage game". Then you have 8,9 and 10.

If you set 5 as avarage then game can score max 3-4. Why ?

+ voice acting

+ star wars

- broken pvp

- broken game mechanics

- empty world

- lack of features

- UI

So if we start with 5 as avarage game then I think that comparing this game to others like WoW, Lord of the Rings Online, DC Universe Online and few other games - TOR IS below 5 in terms of features. Voice acting and star wars itself is the only thing that keep this game above 2-3.

1. Other than the ability delay I really haven't encountered anything. I've heard of others but not encountered them myself.

2. PvP I've only watched my brother on as I won't be PvPing until at least the early to mid 40s

3. Empty World I can partially agree on travelling on Alderaan yea the scenery looks nice but there was nothing to do, now if they included things other than holocrons to find from exploring then people might have reason to look.

4. Only features I'm missing from WoW is LFD tool and i'm of the "Same Server only LFD tool that doesn't carebear teleport you" and UI Customisation this is needed, other things like mods etc I can wait for.

5. Not had to deal with the customer service but i've heard EA's customer service is sh*te anyway.

WoW kept me entertained on-off for years not just because of the gameplay but because I played it with friends. LofRO was fail as far as i'm concerned, You couldn't play the Orcs or Urukai unless it was in some sort of instanced PvP? Fail. You might be able to now but my interest in that game died when I found out I couldn't play Urukai lol. SWTOR doesn't have the best World PvP but at least its fun when you find it (Force Push and long falls = Win). LotRO didn't have any world pvp outside of Duals didn't it? DC Online was so sh*te it was untrue, I played it for literally 20mins, I spent nearly as long making my character (SWTOR could learn a thing or two from DC Online and Champions onlines Char creation...) The only thing that was Really Good (Other than the char creation) was the Intro which I thought was pretty epic.

His point is solidified thanks to you. Good job.

I can't wait until you're gone on the 20th. Shadysketchy seems to have given up. You're much less entertaining than him.

Sad.

I'm not here to entertain you

That was supposed to be BioWare's job

I'm not here to entertain you

That was supposed to be BioWare's job

And they do hell of a good job. Must be bad for you to hear that from someone, that actually likes the game right?

O and before you ask me why i am not playing right now. I am at work.

IMHO the review is valid, but not entirely fair (in terms of 7/10 - I'd put it more in the 7.5-8 category).

1) world design is terrible. Pretty, but unsuited for an MMO.

2) travel is stupid.

3) the flashpoints (that I've played) are heavily flawed.

4) PvP is currently silly.

5) Open-world pvp has been described by players in the same way as the review.

6) Nar shadaa is actually pretty boring, ditto corruscant. They are essentially dungeons dressed up as worlds, with all the negatives that comes from doing that.

7) Space combat "isn't".

8) The game's MMO features are miles below the standard expected of a AAA MMO in 2011.

^ IMHO those are all perfectly valid comments about SWTOR as released.

The review is unfair in not praising the positives:

1) The companion system is interesting.

2) The quest system is way beyond the norm.

3) Branching quests are implemented, even in things like class quests.

4) The look of the world is good and immersive.

For me the review is 'from the point of view of an MMO player' and so comes across negative as the game is very weak as an MMO.

Don't even look on scores on MC if it's not user score. The Old Republic there have around 6.1.

Dragon Age 2 have there 6 on critics and around 3 of user score.

Yeah, Warhammer have 8. At least people enjoy it a little more.

If you already believe that reviews on notable sites can be bought, what is to stop companies from having employees to post user reviews?

+ voice acting

+ star wars

- broken pvp

- broken game mechanics

- empty world

- lack of features

- UI

No offense.. But all of that is a matter of opinion.. So it wouldn't sway a magazine review in the slightest..

PVP is exactly what it should be and exactly what, we the players in the beta helped it become.. Nobody wanted to be corpse camped by a high level character while leveling.. Bioware listened and we have what we have now.. That doesn't mean it won't change later..

What game mechanics are broken?? Aside from known bug that will be fixed.. What game mechanic is broke.. Because there are none..

Voice acting and Star Wars is bad?? What planet are you from??

Empty world.. This is actually kind of nice.. I don't have to fight over the same mobs with other people, or wait for some gizmo to spawn so I can click on it.. Maybe it is the server you are.. I still see people.. We are all just doing our own thing..

UI?? The UI is not the best.. But isn't the worst either.. It actually isn't bad.. I have got used to it.. But then I have been playing since July.. So.. I have a bit of a head start.. It is functional and with player input it will get better..

Customer service?? I have had nothing but steller service.. So you can diss them on that.. If you have had a bad experience.. That doesn't mean everyone has or that they have bad service.. Every ticket I have opened has been responed to in a timely manner.. Ever email I have sent on an issue has been responded to in a timely manner..

So again.. All that you have listed is simply a matter of opinion.. Some are going to like it and some are going to hate it.. Nothing you can do about that.. It just sad that some haters are so bitter that they do stop at nothing to ruin it for the rest of us.. That wasn't meant at you either..

Everyone also needs to remember that this is vanilla.. Anyone remember how other games faired on their initial release?? To say any MMO is trash in it's vanilla form is just plain silly to me..

Look at all the changes that WOW has made over the years.. Pretty soon here they won't have anymore talent trees.. They will however have panda bears and inner peace..

Edited by MajikMyst

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.