We need mailboxes in our ships

Drehzen

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, then you can have a game where no one interacts with each other, talks with each other, or even sees each other. Genius.

Yes because a mailbox on your ship would definitely cause all players to just sit in their ship forever. Perfect logic.

Honestly, why can't mail (without objects) be delievered to where ever we are, when the mail comes? I mean, come on, we can travel in hyperspace, but cant have electronic mail be delivered to our personal com-device?

And money? It should be delivered directly to our bank accounts. Again, come on. Wire transfer is unheard of.

Mail with objects, on the other hand, I can understand. I think when stuff is sent via mail, it should be delivered at the mail-boxes. But with an option to have it "fed-ex'ed" to our ship for a fee.

Edit:

I think the designers have been too mindful of how this has been done in other games, and not taken the setting into consideration when designing the mail system. As far as I remember, in SWG I could access my in-game mail from my datapad. And that made sense!

I agree with you. We already accept that physical objects in the mail magically get delivered to every single mailbox, no matter which one you go to and no matter what planet you're on. So why not skip all of that mailbox crap entirely and just have everything show up on your holopad thing? Mailbox on ship would be nice, but mail on my person would be nicer.

id be happy to be able to give my companions a gift on the ship. and seriously where is my bed. i wanted to get freaky freaky time with ashara on my ship, but no bed and i cant give her anything while we are both on the ship. ooh here is a courting gift but i have to give it to you around all these people in the space dock instead of in my nice luxurious state room on my ship that doesnt contain a really awesome vibrating waterbed. now if you can get over all of that, then yeah mail on the ship would be cool but mainly no bed, no intimate setting to give your companion courting gifts. i guess i dont sleep since i have no freaking bed.

Encouraging players to interact with the larger virtual world seems to be the main reason to keep mailboxes off of ships. BioWare seems to really want to encourage community.

That's good enough reason for me to be okay with the current system for a while and see if it works.

You might be in deep space doing battles, the time you see the planets are in dominance because of the time abstraction. It's not logical to get steady delivery into a mailbox inside your ship, because you're supposed to be moving around when in a ship.

That the game abstract the time you see certain planets more than the hyperspace sequence, or the occasional space battle, does not mean you're automatically available at all times for a steady delivery of physical items, into a certain object in the ship.

---

None of your posts actually follow any logic.

On the one hand you are saying that sending out a companion on a mission is a 'time short cut' and in fact represents more time than is actually shown.

But on the other hand you are saying that a mail box on a ship is impossible.

Why cant the same 'time short cut' be implied while on a ship that the 'item in the mail' is in fact a message tellling you where the item is and in this 'time short cut' your simply fly your ship to the location and a mail man delivers it to your ship.

The game has masses of abstractions - infintely large mission box (well not infinate, but it can hold multipul human sized bodies at the same time while still allowing me to run around like an olympic sprinter.) Also the game allows my companions to appear and disappear at will, the game also allows me to 'call a shuttle' while 3 levels down in a bunker and produce a full sized speeder out of my backside.

All of those abstractions are quite fine in your world, yet reciving items in the mail to your ship are not?

How would the physical objects you receive in the mail get to your ship?

That's easy. C2 went and picked up any physical objects for me. He needs something to do when he's not installing more seat cushions or changing Zenith's diet so he doesn't get fat.

Same as how physical objects you recieve from a holocomm call?

Anyway, I wish theres a mailbox and GTN on the ship. Imperial fleet is too lagging and the only place with all of these available is Dormand Kaas.

The fleets seem like they lag because they don't spawn instances like worlds do, which they really should. I've seen in the 190+ range on Imperial fleet in prime time. Well, "seen" is being too polite, it's more like watching a slide show.

Great, then you can have a game where no one interacts with each other, talks with each other, or even sees each other. Genius.

Yeah I'm totally with you, there's so much meaningful social interaction that goes on when I board the republic fleet, run 5 meters to the mailbox, 5 meters back to the hangar, and board my ship again without saying anything to anyone or even seeing more than the 2 other Consulars doing the exact same thing I am.

Whatever would happen if we removed that in favor of the mild convenience of getting mail delivered to your ship.

How would the physical objects you receive in the mail get to your ship?

You can pick them up on any planet at any time, how does that work?

I can open the mail on Tatooine and look at the attachments, then fly to Korriban to get the attachments out of the box...

**** if I had a gtn and a mailbox in my ship I would be happy. Flying between planets and imperial fleet to get to the GTN is a pain.

Plus a class trainer. And a crafting trainer specific to whatever skill you chose. And a crew skill vendor. And make it so the quests come to me on my ship rather than me having to go to planets and stuff.

None of your posts actually follow any logic.

On the one hand you are saying that sending out a companion on a mission is a 'time short cut' and in fact represents more time than is actually shown.

But on the other hand you are saying that a mail box on a ship is impossible.

Why cant the same 'time short cut' be implied while on a ship that the 'item in the mail' is in fact a message tellling you where the item is and in this 'time short cut' your simply fly your ship to the location and a mail man delivers it to your ship.

The game has masses of abstractions - infintely large mission box (well not infinate, but it can hold multipul human sized bodies at the same time while still allowing me to run around like an olympic sprinter.) Also the game allows my companions to appear and disappear at will, the game also allows me to 'call a shuttle' while 3 levels down in a bunker and produce a full sized speeder out of my backside.

All of those abstractions are quite fine in your world, yet reciving items in the mail to your ship are not?

Ask a courier to deliver a package to an object that's in no particular place at any given time, and observe how the delivery fares. You want to assume a delivery to a docked ship in a specific area at a given time, before this happens. And that's not solved by some mailbox object receiving mail during a space battle for example. As the most lazy implementation to this matter of utter convenience would see fit.

---

Edited by Sernon