Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Legacy names, utterly disappointing with the info.

LaRue

They really need to make the last name optional, esp. since it applies to all my characters and it may not make sense for some of them. I pretty much never use a last name in any game and I don't like being forced to have one.

You can decide how to show it on each alt by going to preferences>social and then at the bottom set it as surname, title or hide it. You can't have different surnames per alt, but in your case you can just hide it. You are not forced to use it as a last name.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not alone. There is hardly a day goes by without a legacy topic going up.

There is bugger all information available when that box pops up and there is no are you sure this is what you want kind of confirmation.

I think it was yesterday or the day before I was reading about someone who wanted D'Ombre or something similar but it appeared as D'ombre and they were pretty devastated. They'd have chosen a different name had they known it was going to drop the second capital letter.

As well as there being nothing to a legacy apart from a surname shared across all chars on that server, there is also very little information about what you are doing at the time.

I would like to think they'll give us the option to change these in future. I made a typo when doing mine but I have to live with it now. CS told me there is nothing at this time. I'm hoping that means in the future there will be. I'd be happy to pay real money or credits to be able to change the name.

Good point on the ticket. I will attempt this.

However that doesn't change the fact that Legacy name information is unavailable when a character is prompted for it.

What info do you need? A warning "Choosing a foolish name will result in that name being carried by your other toons".

They really need to make the last name optional, esp. since it applies to all my characters and it may not make sense for some of them. I pretty much never use a last name in any game and I don't like being forced to have one.

You can hide your legacy name.

I knew about the legacy name thing before I put one in. That is because I did research online. The ingame info was really sparse, this is true for a lot of the game so I understand where the OP is coming from. Ask my OP about his comm sniper boots...

You will pretty much be forced to select a Legacy name, that window will pop up every 5 seconds if you don't and you can't see your talents until you enter something. Forces you to select a Legacy with very little info. Poop design.

Keep in my us forum trolls sometimes know things about the game and just assume others do as well. When in fact we only know from a thread here after someone figured it out or e'f'd up first. Not from a tip in game or quest text.

Maybe they should have done it like the adv class trainer.

You'd have to actually travel to fleet(where you could get the info before 30~ from the NPC) to talk to some NPC who'd hold your hand and tell you that this is a permanent choice, choose wisely.

It's not like travelling to the fleet for a thing you do once per server would be too much to ask..

Maybe they should have done it like the adv class trainer.

You'd have to actually travel to fleet(where you could get the info before 30~ from the NPC) to talk to some NPC who'd hold your hand and tell you that this is a permanent choice, choose wisely.

It's not like travelling to the fleet for a thing you do once per server would be too much to ask..

Now that's a sensible suggestion :)

My issue with the legacy name, aka, surname is that I do not want it for all my characters on a server. I knew what name I wanted for my Jedi Knight. I do not want the same name for my SW alt. It makes NO sense for my human JK and Sith SW to have the same last name.

I don't understand how anyone working in the MMOG industry could drop the ball so dramatically on such an important issue. We already lack basic, visual character customization; now, we're saddled with cookie-cutter last names or hidden ones if the last name doesn't work for an Alt.

It's annoying.

Cal

I'm a roleplayer and it's sort of ruined my characters.

I had no idea that it's per account until I gave my Smuggler a name that is obviously made up by my character because she thought it sounded cooler than her normal name.

Now I have to run around with a Jedi Sage, Jedi Knight and Vanguard Trooper, all completely unrelated to my Smuggler with a surname that makes them sound like rejected names for the Wonderbolts from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I also have to somehow justify that in my character's backstories...

*facepalm*

Oh, and although I am in no way an RP'er to the extent that some might be, I did go with Carsen for my Legacy name so that my JKG and Kira could have babies (large family)!

Yes, a light side JK with a wife and babies... it happens in my world! :D

Also I would like a seperate surname and legacy name since some names just don't fit all races and I like to have more than one race option per server for my alts. For now I either switch it off or have the legacy name under the character name for alts that don't fit the surname.

That's why all of my characters where not adopted by Angelina and Brad Sturmlied.... explaining the strange lastname =)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.