TOR's downfall has started?

Motb

It was the same situation for WAR, AoC and now TOR perhaps:

So each of those past games had the 4th position on the xfire charts and slowly decended to a MUCH lower place.

WAR=288

AoC=87

TOR=??

Now TOR is already on a 5th place, Im betting it will go down to a 10th place by the end of the free month, if not lower, and Im guessing a 20th place or something in the future.

SWTOR is not market viable as a 15/month sub game

It would remain popular for years, if they made buy to play (box), but no sub. They could also have cosmetic microtransaction items, like WoW. It wouldn't make as much money as WoW of course, but it would make more money than it will be making in 6 months, with the sub model

Woah wait......xfire still exists?

This thread is full of Fail. Its like using steam to judge how well a none steam game is doing.

Talk about a gamer behind the times lol

To think Xfire dictates what games will do well is just a joke and I feel sorry for the OP.

Hes making the assumption that everyone playing TOR is using Xfire.

Edited by Kanharn

Really? Xfire isnt a benchmark for population...

Why? Look at their website.

Current Users Online: 65,756

Because what 65k people using a somewhat obscure game tracking and chat program play determines the population of an MMO, of all things.

I havent used xfire myself for AGES, but it has been a pretty good indicator of the state of a game. And I don't think there is a reason to believe that the users of xfire are more inclined to play one game rather then the other when it comes down to mmo's, so it should be a pretty good representation of the reality of the state of the mmo's playerbase.

Really? Xfire isnt a benchmark for population...

Why? Look at their website.

Current Users Online: 65,756

Because what 65k people using a somewhat obscure game tracking and chat program play determines the population of an MMO, of all things.

Perhaps you are right in that the study base is very small compared to the quantity of games, but as I stated earlier, why should the users be more inclined to play one mmo instead of another?

Perhaps you are right in that the study base is very small compared to the quantity of games, but as I stated earlier, why should the users be more inclined to play one mmo instead of another?

I think we all need to 1 star this thread and let it vanish in to the fail pile at the bottom of the forums.

I disregard Xfire, because over the years it has developed a more...niche community. A game's ranking is not based on its population, but minutes played during a single day. I find minutes to be a rather unreliable way of ranking a game, dont you? Should we really think that more people play Call of Duty 2, than SWTOR? No.

I played both aoc and warhammer. The problem with warhammer was, its marketed as a great pvp game...which didn't actually have great pvp. Its pvp was exactly like WoW except much worse.

AoC is marketed as a adult game but when the game launched, the developer spent a lot of time removing what little nudity the game had so its compeletely T rated. You can still undress but everywhere else, there's no nudity.

Swtor is marketed as a story-based mmorpg. And the story is definitely great! So this game won't fail as bad as the others, but the question of how long story can keep players interested is another story.