Re-think when to get doc?

teamplayerx

You get doc when the story allows it. This makes sense.

I would like to be able to equip companions with different skill sets though. Allow us to choose the companion we like based on personality and aesthetics. I love Kira. And Scourge too, but honestly I felt extremely underpowered before doc. And now that I got him going any of the othe companions feels underpowered again.(and honestly, it might be too easy with him)

Edited by Alterin

Having Doc does make a huge difference, especially since we lack any form of Self-Healing (WTB Victory Rush).

I'm surprised they didn't make Kira a Sage class, since she'd still be able to follow the Jedi plot but could assist us better with casts and heals.

I'm surprised they didn't make Kira a Sage class, since she'd still be able to follow the Jedi plot but could assist us better with casts and heals.

I'm not. Every class gets the same mix of companions. Melee tank, ranged tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS, healer. If they made Kira a healer, they'd have to replace Doc with a melee DPS character. It could go either way.

I still think it's awesome that we get Kira on Coruscant. By the time we're in the mid-teens, we have a choice between a DPS character that pairs well with tanks, or a tank character who pairs well with DPS. Look at Kinetic Combat Shadows, for example, who have to wait a while before they get a chance to team up with someone other than another melee tank or a gimpy robot with lackluster healing and 0 DPS.

It's not perfect, but you can get by with T7/Kira before you get Doc. Kira in particular is a powerhouse from my experience. Jedi Knight isn't meant to be an easy-mode facerolling class IMO, so it's fine to get Doc in early 30ies. It also feels more rewarding that way.

After using Doc for a bit I have swapped back to a DPS companion. As a tank specced guardian I am able to survive any fight long enough for the dps to do the job properly. All high level elites have some ability or combination of abilities you are supposed to interrupt -which we excel at.

With kick, hilt strike, stasis, and force push you can pretty much lock a elite down for half health without even using cooldowns. Honestly Doc probably makes you a worse player as you just stand around and faceroll without using your abilities. You will get to 50 and be a worse player for it.

Kira for questing, Doc for champions. Sure it takes a hell of a long time to kill champions as defense spec...but atleast its doable with Doc healing. But questing is so much better with Kira as she really does mow stuff down, I was looking forward to getting Doc and realised just how much a difference Kira makes. So as I said previously, I only bring him out for soloing champions or 2+ elites.

Rethinking when to get Doc? No thanks. But allowing us to "spec" out companions a little would be awesome. Just letting Kira have 1-2 heals would make her the absolute perfect companion. Even if she healed you every 5 seconds for moderate amounts via a spec (like the shared Consular talent tree to you both) it would make a world of difference. And some of those boss fights they're talking about nerfing soon wouldn't need to get slammed so hard.

After using Doc for a bit I have swapped back to a DPS companion. As a tank specced guardian I am able to survive any fight long enough for the dps to do the job properly. All high level elites have some ability or combination of abilities you are supposed to interrupt -which we excel at.

With kick, hilt strike, stasis, and force push you can pretty much lock a elite down for half health without even using cooldowns. Honestly Doc probably makes you a worse player as you just stand around and faceroll without using your abilities. You will get to 50 and be a worse player for it.

Left Balmorra yet? No? Shut up.

Why aren't you using C2N2 to heal. Properly geard he is very effective. I saw no improvement when switching from C2N2 to Doc on balmorra other than Doc can attack from range and c2n2 will punch the mob in between heals.

C2-N2 punching the mob = no DPS at all.

The DPS from Doc makes all the difference. C2-N2 is garbage.

You are pretty bad if you need doc to survive as a tank. The only thing he does is making sure you don't have to rest after every fight BUT... every damn fight last several time longer without a dps companion.

Just no. I tried doc a few times. Realise how bad and long it was and went back with Kira for the rest of the game.

Sergeant Rusk is also quite good for more AoE.

I left Balmorra ages ago. I've experimented using Doc a few times, but it just makes killing things too slow, so I'm back to using Kira. As a guardian, if you feel the need to use Doc on a regular basis I think you're doing something wrong.

after 40, the down time after dealing with even 3-4 normal mobs using anyone but doc, is just not worth it. I tried to deck kira out and it was waste of time I spend more time sitting and healing after a fight then I should, and if you get 2 strong character on you without heals you have no chance.

after 40 and especially mid/late 40's (I'm only 47/48) the mobs hit so hard you need healing (or you will waste alot of cash on medpacks).

I don't even use Doc while questing. Mobs go down slow enough already as a tank guardian. Without Kira 20-30 would've been torture.

I agree. I use Kira exclusively unless I am looking at taking down a champion or an elite at my level (or higher). Personally, I think Doc comes at a perfect time.

Actually yes. I am in Voss and nearing the end of the road. Go ahead and keep Doc if you like killing at a incredibly slow rate. Kira stil works great. I have 3 cooldowns and a medpack that I can use if I get into trouble. I don't see how need a healer.

I think the developers should re-think when to get doc. I think doc should come around low 20's. Does anyone else agree? Thoughts?

He is certainly is the most valuable companion of the five. However, the problem seems to be that certain NPC's (especially class boss') hit entirely too hard sometimes. In my opinion, rather than encouraging everyone to use Doc for tough fights, they need to tone down the NPCs or give the other companion's better abilities to help negate damage against the player more efficiently.

Edited by MichellMich

Have the best of both worlds. out fit doc with good weapons and gear for balanced DPS and heals. AND then place his heal spec and dps spec buffs into ur "macros" or priority and add the Attack command to ur button pressing when appropriate. Doc healing on auto makes the fights long Doc directed by a human being = awesome.

I actually use Doc quite a bit, but then I went the DPS route and not the tank route, I've actually found I can dish out a respectable amount of damage, just sometimes I have to get help against certain critters or if there are too many for me to take on all at once. I'm still in process of upgrading some gear and haven't been able to get to most of the holocrons, so that is likely my problem.

That and some of my attacks burn through a lot of focus.

I don't think you need doc on regular mobs or anything, that you can fly through with kira. However, on elites and above especially in story mode I find them to be really tough like darth angrel was tough as nails even with doing kicks etc. I think you might need to use doc for more of that. It might take awhile true, but at least you will survive the fight.