Fix For Ability Delay (Works for me want others to test)

Frostyyyyy

I played both. I realize that if you spam the buttons, there is a animation delay while the skill is in effect. From what you posted, it just sounded like nothing ever happens?

That's what I said! It sucks for melee, GIMPS us in PvP and needs to be fixed! Not some "I can't side step after healing" trash! I can't side-step after mounting! WOW big whoop! :mad:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear some people get more hung up on words than necessary. Regardless of what anyone is calling "it" - something is definitely afoot. I offer some insight to those testing: Do it in a warzone.

For me, outside of warzones, I do not experience any real casting/fighting problems. The game feels responsive and smooth, albeit a bit slow at times, it's definitely working. The issue is warzones.

Many people have illustrated how this particular issue affects them, for me, it's a slight hang at the end of the cast bar. Basically I'll begin a heal, as the bar is just hitting the end and beginning to fade, the cast does not instantly happen. Instead there's a .5-1 second hang at the end of casting right before the ability fires off.

I heal almost exclusively sometimes and it really is felt when trying to save low hp players. I consider myself a decent healer and have healed in MMOs for nearly 10 years. Never have I encountered a delay like this one. Many times I'll be healing that low hp player and I'll be just about to save them, heal finishing while they are low, and more often than not they die in that interim between a cast bar filling up and them actually receiving the heal. This should not happen if the cast is finished when the cast bar is totally full.

This scenario plays out 20-30 times a match, sometimes it surprises me how early I have to start a heal to have it finish in time to hit the player before they die. And sometimes, even with compensation for the "delay" I still get cheated out of healing my ally before they die. I know I'm new to swtor, but 10 years of healing experience tells me I'm not just letting people die out of error.

If anyone is testing this outside of warzones, it may not be the same. I will confirm here I only have a "delay" in warzones.

post a video of your "ability delay"

Someone did. On the front page, no less.

Basically, the animation is the priority in SWTOR. There are other examples of this, too. The Jedi Consular has the basic ranged spell, Project, which is an instant cast. However, because of the animation, it actually takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds for the spell to actually do anything. Compare this to the Sith Inquisitor's equivalent ability Shock, which has no animation, and thus is actually instant.

I can confirm I have the delay everywhere. It is especially noticeable when mounting, attempting to use one of my channeled abilities or the few conditionals, such as maul, and spike. It gets really bad in a warzone but that's just because I care more about each button I press than in pve where it often doesn't matter unless tanking. Now as a tank I notice it extremely bad when using my taunts and which are insta-cast.. yet.. don't. It's not a latency issue. I've never experienced this problem before in my nearly 15 years of mmo gaming. I've played them all from the early days to now and nothing has been this way to this extent. I am glad they have acknowledged the problem and working to fix it. That gives me peace of mind. But to all of you people who are bashing wow gamers who notice this.. I'm not a wow gamer. I notice it. It is very real. Even Anarchy-Online never had such issues. And it's the crown jewels of gaming history in perfection right?

That option is for the delay to queue an ability.

Example:

0 - Click the ability twice and there is no delay between command in the queue.

0.5 - There is a 0.5 second delay in the queue for the next ability.

Even at 0 there is delay and the combat system feels a bit sluggish. It's how the game was designed. Sounds confusing but that's the truth. There are also times where the ability get's cancelled for no reason. Again, it's how the game was designed. That option you speak of fixes nothing.

^ This

The delay is just to set your next ability in a "que" which means if I set it to 1. It will be the next ability I use after the global cool down, and stay selected for up to 1 second. Setting it to 0 just means you won't have a ability that will "que" during a GCD That is why it is set to 0.5 which is the time of a GCD

Edited by infestedchris

animation is NOT prioritized

Sigh... Supertouch.. You do realize that there is a sticky by a mod regarding this issue. Basically PRIORITIZING this ISSUE.

Like I said before, you need to quit mixing fact with your fiction. You might think you're right, but fact shows that you're wrong. Please just stop?

I fear some people get more hung up on words than necessary. Regardless of what anyone is calling "it" - something is definitely afoot. I offer some insight to those testing: Do it in a warzone.

For me, outside of warzones, I do not experience any real casting/fighting problems. The game feels responsive and smooth, albeit a bit slow at times, it's definitely working. The issue is warzones.

Many people have illustrated how this particular issue affects them, for me, it's a slight hang at the end of the cast bar. Basically I'll begin a heal, as the bar is just hitting the end and beginning to fade, the cast does not instantly happen. Instead there's a .5-1 second hang at the end of casting right before the ability fires off.

I heal almost exclusively sometimes and it really is felt when trying to save low hp players. I consider myself a decent healer and have healed in MMOs for nearly 10 years. Never have I encountered a delay like this one. Many times I'll be healing that low hp player and I'll be just about to save them, heal finishing while they are low, and more often than not they die in that interim between a cast bar filling up and them actually receiving the heal. This should not happen if the cast is finished when the cast bar is totally full.

This scenario plays out 20-30 times a match, sometimes it surprises me how early I have to start a heal to have it finish in time to hit the player before they die. And sometimes, even with compensation for the "delay" I still get cheated out of healing my ally before they die. I know I'm new to swtor, but 10 years of healing experience tells me I'm not just letting people die out of error.

If anyone is testing this outside of warzones, it may not be the same. I will confirm here I only have a "delay" in warzones.

This i my experience, only really effects in warzones, and is pretty much why I don't heal in the warzones.

Sigh... Supertouch.. You do realize that there is a sticky by a mod regarding this issue. Basically PRIORITIZING this ISSUE.

Like I said before, you need to quit mixing fact with your fiction. You might think you're right, but fact shows that you're wrong. Please just stop?

What issue though!? Which one!? There's dozens of different issues in this thread! If they're prioritizing "I can't wait 0.2 seconds more for the cast to finish before side-stepping" issue that's a HUGE problem, because we melee can't spam in pvp without our abilities getting delayed for up to 5 seconds! I hope to god they're not prioritizing side stepping after casting!

How do you explain the video proof I posted (pulled from the front page), and the other movement cancel video proof? How do you explain the clear imbalance between the first ranged ability in the game for the SI and JC?

the video you posted does not demonstrate ability delay. it's intended design.

in layman's terms, some abilities' effects coincide with brief animations and those animations coincide with the fading of the cast bar. however, the half-second animation is not part of the official casting time, thus the ability is not interrupted by movement and it doesn't hinder the use of other abilities.

if you use an ability in rapid succession the fading of the casting bar is bypassed, the animation is accelerated and you don't get any "delay."

mounts are the only things affected by movement at the end of the official casting time. you'd have to ask bioware why they designed the UI like that. however, it has no impact on the game if you know how to interpret the combat system.

Edited by supertouch

The issue is the lack of responsiveness. The side stepping simply illustrates the problem.

Can you elaborate, I'm just failing to get the big idea. To me this just seems like ranged crying yet again. Should I roll a Sorcerer? Should I spam because I'm not getting it.

You can't cast again after immediately side-stepping is that it...? Responsiveness, my Force Leap responds pretty fine, it's the spamming and delaying of animation that's the problem

EDIT: Oh I see what you're talking about now, the errors in red at the top, you should've pointed that out. In any case big whoop, I can't spam in warzones without my abilities being delayed so once again the problem plaguing melee is of much greater importance than you can't cast while side-stepping :rolleyes:

Edited by Logisitcs

Why do people still make a thread about this?

Its already a sum 600+ pages in all other "official" threads about this hot issue. A bunch of videos "ability delay in swtor for dummies" about canceling casts when animation ends from previous action, not able to start cast right after moving (strafing) etc. etc. etc.

It's ALREADY an official sticky issue, there is no "i don't have ability delays" it's just you - slow as f... i mean YOU are slowpoke as animation in swtor, so it's fine for you :)

Can you elaborate, I'm just failing to get the big idea. To me this just seems like ranged crying yet again. Should I roll a Sorcerer? Should I spam because I'm not getting it.

You can't cast again after immediately side-stepping is that it...? Responsiveness, my Force Leap responds pretty fine, it's the spamming and delaying of animation that's the problem

He's implying that your side stepping issue is connected to the generalizeD form that we call ability delay

The issue is the lack of responsiveness. The side stepping simply illustrates the problem.

you know what illustrates responsiveness? the global cooldown.

badchx didn't even use the same movements and keystrokes in both games when trying to prove his/her point.

Excuse-ME! But when I press an ability sometimes as a melee player the animation stops half-way, I push the ability again, same thing, this happens THREE times before the animation plays out and the attack registers, the whole affair taking up 5 seconds! SOMETIMES I lose the GCD and the attack never happens!

People are forgetting about this aspect as well. There's all sorts of different manifestations of delay bugs.

Bugs on the activate of the ability causing it to stutter, or simply activate the global cooldown and/or animation while NOTHING HAPPENS.

Bugs on the finishing of an ability either cancelling it because you moved "too soon" even though the channel bar completed, or the animation prevented you from using something else as fast as you should have.

Bugs on abilities that ignore the GCD preventing you from activating them instantly in between GCDs, or having them activate the GCD even though they should not.

I have all of them happen all the time. It has nothing to do with ability queueing. It has nothing to do with lag or server latency.

He's implying that your side stepping issue is connected to the generalizeD form that we call ability delay

But that's not ability delay though! Ability delay is you press an ability, it, guess what, DELAYS!

Ability Delay is not, oops I can't cast a millisecond after side-stepping, that's flipping impatience. The real ability delay needs to be fixed first, not this fake

But that's not ability delay though! Ability delay is you press an ability, it, guess what, DELAYS!

Ability Delay is not, oops I can't cast a millisecond after side-stepping, that's flipping impatience. The real ability delay needs to be fixed first, not this fake

Remember that when your healer in PVP/Raid has to move/cancel a heal because of LOS/range or something on the ground. Don't stand in fire!

badchx didn't even use the same movements and keystrokes in both games when trying to prove his/her point.

Look, I love this game, truly do and have enjoyed many hours in it but I can also acknowledge that the ability delay is a huge pain in the butthole for a healer. What is supposed to be a 1.5 second cast effectively becomes a 2-second cast. While that can be calculated, it was highly likely unintended (why put te cast-time at that otherwise anyway?). This makes for the fact that crunch-healing in PvP has become a pain in the *** and tossing last-minute-saves on your teammates becomes nigh impossible.

Now, before you write me off as a noob and a whiner who wants to see the game destroyed because I'm a Blizz-employee in disguise, I'm not. I truly love this game and it has done a lot of things right (some wrong, but hey, I'm not complaining).

I'm glad BW acknowledged the fact that this ability delay is actually a problem and that they're looking into fixing it. I truly hope it hits in a patch sooner rather than later, as it could potentially drive a lot of people away, not including me. I truly hope for this MMO to be succesful, because I'm having a blast. But I'm also hoping for the ability delay to be fixed, because it really doesn't feel smooth and leaves for a lot more "reflex"-moves, as I loved to call them in other MMOs :)

The movement will of course never be exact, but it's very close.

And I used the same keybindings and keystrokes.

In the last video I only used 1 finger to press the buttons.