So... has any crafter seen this yet...?

Zennshi

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

- BW Dev

... Is crafting just going to forever take a backseat???

Won't this change make mastercraft moddable gear BiS? Since it will be the only orange gear with augment slots.

I've never seen orange gear with augment slots... they exist? I mean, it stands to reason that a crafter could make an exceptional orange, but I've never heard of it, or seen one.

Won't this change make mastercraft moddable gear BiS? Since it will be the only orange gear with augment slots.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Get your favorite gear crafted with augment slot. Go raid. Pull mods out of the armor and put it into the comparable slot. Profit.

This does provide some issues with other classes though, namely artifice/armstech. They'll still get the backseat, unless they start coming out with enchancements that rival raid/pvp or come up with more unique crystal/lightsaber patterns.

Wait, I don't think I understand this statement. We can mod purples now?

Some rare drops have like 2 slots that are locked, eg I think the trooper one is called T-15B Vanguard armor. I assumed they were talking about this, rather than ALL purples. If my crafted purples would then actually come with mod slots they might as well get rid of the distinction.

Wait, I don't think I understand this statement. We can mod purples now?

You've always been able to mod purples to a degree.

Here I'll slice it out for you.

In early beta: Gear was fully moddable. People found out that they could farm "raid quality gear" by farming the first boss and stripping all of the modifications out this includes Armoring, Mods, Enhancements

In late beta/now: Artifact quality gear usually only has the "Mods" and "Enhancements" slot able to be swapped out. The base value of the gear (Aka Hilts/Barrells/Armoring) are "locked" into the gear to prevent you from farming it.

In the future (Soon): They will be unlocking the base value of the artifact quality gear so you can use WHATEVER ORANGE GEAR you like the looks of. This means you can strip out the "raid gear" mods albeit there's a slight difference. They plan on "locking certain modifications to certain item slots". What this means is if you strip the modifications out of a pair of Raid quality boots, you can only put those modifications in your boots.

***Addendum***

They also plan on making set bonuses part of the base value mod (Hilt/Barrell/Armoring) truly allowing you to wear whatever gear you like the best.

This is a great step in the direction things should have been. The only caveat is it still leaves crafters high and dry for a lot of things. The only way I can see this being viable and still leaving crafters in a good place is to allow crafters to create Tier-1 Raid Quality item sets(modifications) that have set bonuses on them so that way people have 3 options on getting set bonuses (Buy it, raid it, pvp it).

You've always been able to mod purples to a degree.

Here I'll slice it out for you.

In early beta: Gear was fully moddable. People found out that they could farm "raid quality gear" by farming the first boss and stripping all of the modifications out this includes Armoring, Mods, Enhancements

In late beta/now: Artifact quality gear usually only has the "Mods" and "Enhancements" slot able to be swapped out. The base value of the gear (Aka Hilts/Barrells/Armoring) are "locked" into the gear to prevent you from farming it.

In the future (Soon): They will be unlocking the base value of the artifact quality gear so you can use WHATEVER ORANGE GEAR you like the looks of. This means you can strip out the "raid gear" mods albeit there's a slight difference. They plan on "locking certain modifications to certain item slots". What this means is if you strip the modifications out of a pair of Raid quality boots, you can only put those modifications in your boots.

***Addendum***

They also plan on making set bonuses part of the base value mod (Hilt/Barrell/Armoring) truly allowing you to wear whatever gear you like the best.

This is a great step in the direction things should have been. The only caveat is it still leaves crafters high and dry for a lot of things. The only way I can see this being viable and still leaving crafters in a good place is to allow crafters to create Tier-1 Raid Quality item sets(modifications) that have set bonuses on them so that way people have 3 options on getting set bonuses (Buy it, raid it, pvp it).

This is exactly what I proposed when the new year rolled around!

I don't understand why giving people multiple avenues to getting gear is so hard or so bad!

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

- BW Dev

... Is crafting just going to forever take a backseat???

This is great for crafters. Now you get to craft the Orange gear that everyone wants and they will excitedly get to use it. I don't see a down side for crafters. The next logical step is to increase the Orange schematics that Armormechs and Synthweavers get to include unique non-green looking items.

They could do this varying ways; by putting unique looking schematics for gear into raids or possibly tie it in to the Legacy system. This is a great step and you can now actually have a viable Orange schematic business as a crafter!

*Edit* I would even go so far as to allow the crafters to alter the color of the said items and put multiple color bands on each style of gear. This would only come in the future as they would have to do tweaks to the texturing they use, but it could be something doable in 6 months to a year.

Edited by Rhinoplat

Some rare drops have like 2 slots that are locked, eg I think the trooper one is called T-15B Vanguard armor. I assumed they were talking about this, rather than ALL purples. If my crafted purples would then actually come with mod slots they might as well get rid of the distinction.

They are now talking about having ALL purples able to be removed from dropped raid gear, with a small caveat.

Currently you can remove the Mod and Enhancement modifications from say a chest piece, but you can NOT remove the Armoring Modification. What they are describing is being able to remove all 3 modifications: Armoring, Mods & Enhancements.

What they are doing though is what several have suggested; if you get boots from a drop you can remove the higher tier armoring modification and place it into another set of BOOTS but not into a chest piece. People will NOT be able to farm the lower bosses to modify all of their gear pieces.

I've never seen orange gear with augment slots... they exist? I mean, it stands to reason that a crafter could make an exceptional orange, but I've never heard of it, or seen one.

The only Orange gear I have hear of having Augment slots is weapons so far, no armor at all yet.

I love how no one pointed out that the OP didn't link a source. Until this is a proven fact that it was actually posted, why are you believing this nonsense?

I bet if you checked the dev tracker you could find this, it would have taken you less than a minute. It took me all of 10 seconds :/

This make me happy panda!

I was leveling slowly so i don't have to replace my orange armor as fast, but now i can keep my look and have end-game gear with set bonuses!

They are now talking about having ALL purples able to be removed from dropped raid gear, with a small caveat.

Currently you can remove the Mod and Enhancement modifications from say a chest piece, but you can NOT remove the Armoring Modification. What they are describing is being able to remove all 3 modifications: Armoring, Mods & Enhancements.

What they are doing though is what several have suggested; if you get boots from a drop you can remove the higher tier armoring modification and place it into another set of BOOTS but not into a chest piece. People will NOT be able to farm the lower bosses to modify all of their gear pieces.

Ive seen 2 unique crafter orange items in the AH. Too bad it was put up for 900,000 x.x