The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

Is high graphics really high graphics? I have a really good comp and it runs fine, but it doesn't look like it did in beta o.O Am I just retarded? I get way better framerates now but the textures especially look a lot worse.

No, currently High graphics is "medium" graphics. The high res textures were removed for launch... and they haven't really given an explanation why.

The last thing said officially on the matter was Stephen Reid saying that, "they're looking into it"... as usual.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hover around 90 FPS, up over 110 in the hangar or on my ship.

It's wasted. Most of us can't even see past 60, even in the rare cases when we have a monitor that runs at 120.

The only time it drops is when I first load into the fleet. That's a localized issue, a bug they said they'd work on.

Looking at how many people play the game and how many people are complaining, 5% sounds accurate.

Yeah...if you're saying that 5% are NOT having any FPS issues. I can't believe BW put out the standard low-end..update driver speech to cover their fug-up on this one. Most of the gamers playing are not noobs when it comes to this stuff so don't insult our intelligence!

as odd as it sounds having a too "high end" PC may be the problem. Mine is not nearly as good as some of the ones listed and it runs great.

Actually, it's not all that odd. The Witcher 2 had that problem at release as well. People with top-of-the-line PCs were getting worse performance than people with just "good" components.

But that doesn't seem to be the case here. The people having problems are all over the place... low-end, high-end. And there are people with the exact same specs as those with problems that aren't having problems.

This is all about computer configuration and how it's interacting with TOR.

There is a special place in hell reserved for those fanboys who post here "I have no problem, therefore everybody who has trouble must have bad hardware".

It is enraging, frustrating, and outright malicious. I have no understanding whatsoever why these fanboys would actively try to sabotage the enjoyment of others (namely, having their troubles heard, and thus, RESOLVED by Bioware).

People who behave this way deserve nothing but utter contempt.

As for the issue, I think talking about frame rates alone is pointless. The game has technical problems that do not manifest in frame rates. I have a decent machine (i7, radeon 4800, 6gig, WinXP), and usually the game runs nicely. But there are certain places where - completely unexplainedly - the game starts to get jumpy. Jedi Temple in Tython is a mild example - every second my char makes small jump, as if the game doesnt get the movement right and keeps correcting the character position periodically.

Worst case I had was a freight port on Kal Drooma - a agent phase, to be precise. Suddenly I had less than 1 frame per second. NPCs started to appear and disappear, reappear somewhere else - and all during fight. Very Very bad.

Another thing is that animated sequences - both taxi rides and flight sequences - have majhor jumps. During taxi rides the game display hangs 1-2 times per second, and then jumps to the next position.

My suspicion is that Bioware has shaders that don't work very well with ATI cards. Or that there is some other issue with ATI. They need to look into that. Hard.

You run on low settings, I hope? That is not good enough for the high (med) settings. 4 gb of RAM is bare minimum (C- or D+). The HD 6870 should be fine -- a solid "B" rating. Athlon II is on the medium-low end (C+).

Sorry, but I have to place this post under the heading of "gear elitism".

I only use 4gig ram, an i5 and a single 560Ti. Yet I consistently get ~100fps in pve enivronments and ~60fps in pvp areas with everything but shadows at high (yes, yes, I know that having textures at high really means medium right now) at 1920x1080 and the AA turned on at x8 (just add AntiAliasingLevel = 2, 4, 8 or 12 to your .ini file and you can too!) on both the game and the card.

For you folks that don't browse through the forums, turn shadows off and shader to low or off.....solved all fps issues for everyone in my guild except for one who wasn't too familiar with tech issues in computers. Also, for you hardcores, try turning your hyper-over-clocked-wtfbbq-uber systems back to factory settings and see what happens.

I am curious -- why are people who are claiming to have high-end machines -- and I will give them the benefit of the doubt -- they are receiving poor performances that align with my performances from a computer that I wouldn't even consider to be minimum specs.

I run an ancient

1.6 Ghz Dual-Core

2 GB RAM

220 GT NVIDIA (Yeah..eat it baby)

Yet somehow I am able to push the numbers to a playable (not where I want it to be) FPS rate of around 25-30 FPS in most areas. With exception to areas where there are known issues.

Sounds like a large number of "high-end" claiming folks either don't know what their system is capable or flat out bolstering their specs to make the issue seem more important.

I think the problem is that SWTOR is showing anomalous performance for some of us.

I am running a Q6600 2.4Ghz, nVidia GTS250, 3Gb RAM on Vista x64. It's not even close to modern specs, but previous to the last patches I could run the game perfectly on max settings. Then the game was patched and I suffered from horrible FPS problems in many areas of the game, until I found a bunch of 'fixes' which suddenly made the game run (mostly) perfectly again.

Here's the thread where I talk about it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=156531&page=3

I don't think you can assume that people having these problems firstly know nothing about PC technology and hardware requirements, and secondly cannot identify that the problem is anomalous.

You should also not assume that because the game runs fine for you without anomalous or buggy behaviour, that everyone else is just making stuff up.

As for the issue, I think talking about frame rates alone is pointless. The game has technical problems that do not manifest in frame rates. I have a decent machine (i7, radeon 4800, 6gig, WinXP), and usually the game runs nicely. But there are certain places where - completely unexplainedly - the game starts to get jumpy. Jedi Temple in Tython is a mild example - every second my char makes small jump, as if the game doesnt get the movement right and keeps correcting the character position periodically.

Well, your main problem is your video card. It's above minimum, but below recommended specs for TOR. So in your case, it is most likely a hardware problem.

just my 2¢

Had some low frame rate at first having initially installed on my older machine, but then installed on my second machine with better processor , AMD athlon . Then got a decent graphics card , Radeon 6790.

Runs just fine now, fps seems to be average 50-65 or so graphics on full

FPS does seem to fluctuate quite a bit getting real high at times. But regardless no lag or performance issues.

I think the problem is that SWTOR is showing anomalous performance for some of us.

I am running a Q6600 2.4Ghz, nVidia GTS250, 3Gb RAM on Vista x64. It's not even close to modern specs, but previous to the last patches I could run the game perfectly on max settings. Then the game was patched and I suffered from horrible FPS problems in many areas of the game, until I found a bunch of 'fixes' which suddenly made the game run (mostly) perfectly again.

Here's the thread where I talk about it: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=156531&page=3

I don't think you can assume that people having these problems firstly know nothing about PC technology and hardware requirements, and secondly cannot identify that the problem is anomalous.

You should also not assume that because the game runs fine for you without anomalous or buggy behaviour, that everyone else is just making stuff up.

There was no assumption -- its theoretical musings on what I have seen throughout. I never made claim that people were not having issues. I myself know exactly what the issues are; a poor system and acknowledged bugs from the developer.

The 'thinking-out-loud' I was doing was wondering how I can get better performance than someone who just dropped $1000 on a new rig...supposedly. It is the internet after all and if I wanted to I could have gave some insane settings, found a posting that someone else did of a DXDIAG and maybe even a screen shot --all in the name of making my point.

I have a extremely high-end machine and I can barely play this game (I've got most graphical settings turned off/low), while I can play Skyrim, WoW, DAO and other high req games on the highest settings with constant 60+ fps. Edited by lobson

I have a extremely high-end machine and I can barely play this game (I've got most graphical settings turned off/low), while I can play Skyrim, WoW, DAO and other high req games on the highest settings with constant 60+ fps.

Yep logic says a 7 year old mmo and a single player game use the same resources as a just released high end mmo.

Bull crap Ohlen. I've lost track of the numbers of players with extremely high-end machines complaining about exactly the problem described in the article.

So Bioware's stance is simply going to be to deny the issue exists and foist it off on "low-end machines?" My i7 with 12 gigs of RAM and HD6970 would like a word with you, Mr. Ohlen.

If those are truly your specs then your doing something wrong or you have a **** connection, im running on a laptop version of your i7 4 gigs of ram, and ****** gfx processor, runs fine, complaining to BW won't fix this problem, it's yours and yours alone.

How can we explain whats going on with your system?

Are you really trying to dig that deep in to troll? Because you're pretty bad at it.

High-end PC. Low FPS in very uncrowded areas. Let me know what's up, we evidently have us sum srs brainiacs in this thread.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, GeForce GTS 450 and 2.1GB RAM - and I have barely any issues with the performance. I used to, but that was purely because my PC kept prioritizing SWTOR.exe very low. Once I put that badboy up to High priority, it started running smoothly.

I get framerate lag very, VERY rarely and when I do, I barely notice it because it doesn't drop lower than 20-25.

Now, was there any point in this comment? Does this prove that some people are doing something wrong or am I saying that my PC is overpowered (HAH!!!)?... Oh, or am I simply lucky?

PS. I suck, I truuuly suck at judging specs and stuff like that, hell I didn't even equip this PC myself... So it is very likely I just went on about my specs for no reason. In that case, I'm sorry.

Edited by Crayt

If those are truly your specs then your doing something wrong or you have a **** connection, im running on a laptop version of your i7 4 gigs of ram, and ****** gfx processor, runs fine, complaining to BW won't fix this problem, it's yours and yours alone.

No it isn't his problem. It's Biowares problem because they have poor programmers that can't code properly.

As a Guildmaster with over 300 members, I can honestly say that people that are having performance issues are 10 to 1 to those that do not. As I've said before, you shouldn't have to have a $3000 computer to play this poorly optimized game efficiently. Most of the complains in guild chat are from those with $1500-$2000 High-End Machines. This will ruin this game if it is not fixed immediately.

Are you really trying to dig that deep in to troll? Because you're pretty bad at it.

High-end PC. Low FPS in very uncrowded areas. Let me know what's up, we evidently have us sum srs brainiacs in this thread.

Just because you have good hardware doesnt mean you might not have some fault someplace. How are we supposed to diagnose your connection and computer? I fixed a pc problem the other day it was a $20 patch cable causing the issue. The problem I think is you are not willing to look at all options and keep an open mind.

Note that Ohlen says he can't give "exact" numbers so the 5% may well be actually much higher. Either way, 5% of millions of subscribers still represents a very significant amount of people (and revenue) for Bioware so it would be great to have these FPS issues addressed.

My system is hardly modern (Intel Quad Core @ 2.20 GHz, 8gb RAM, win 7 x64, ATI Radeon X1600) but I am disappointed with the performance of this game when I compare to others like LOTRO where I could run at very high/ultra with no FPS issues.

Hopefully my impending graphics card update will improve things my end but I still strongly believe this game needs some serious optimisation.

Yep logic says a 7 year old mmo and a single player game use the same resources as a just released high end mmo.

''... and other high req games''

edit:

also, you're stupid.

Edited by lobson

There was no assumption -- its theoretical musings on what I have seen throughout. I never made claim that people were not having issues. I myself know exactly what the issues are; a poor system and acknowledged bugs from the developer.

The 'thinking-out-loud' I was doing was wondering how I can get better performance than someone who just dropped $1000 on a new rig...supposedly. It is the internet after all and if I wanted to I could have gave some insane settings, found a posting that someone else did of a DXDIAG and maybe even a screen shot --all in the name of making my point.

In this case, my apologies, I didn't mean to misquote you!

the worst performance i had in the game was 15 fps, which was when a guild invaded hoth and an openworld fight of somewhere around 100 people ensued.

didn't bother me tbh. but i do have guildmates with similar machines who get worse performance, but that's the nature of pc's, and has been since pc gaming started.

i think the OP need to learn a couple of things though.

1. he is not the majority.

2. the forum warriors are also a vocal MINORITY

3. the actual majority, are more than likely just playing the game.

Edited by Almghty_gir