BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull crap Ohlen. I've lost track of the numbers of players with extremely high-end machines complaining about exactly the problem described in the article.

So Bioware's stance is simply going to be to deny the issue exists and foist it off on "low-end machines?" My i7 with 12 gigs of RAM and HD6970 would like a word with you, Mr. Ohlen.

Edited by Mannic

There's no problem as long as you have at least a 4 core and good enough parts to go with it. Perfect example being my recent upgrade from 2 to 4 cores, as well as some other much needed upgrades.

You need the proper computer to play this without very noticable slowdowns and FPS loss, even on lowest possible settings for this game.

I don't have any problems, whats your point?

This^

So your immediate response is that BioWare is detached from the community and you completely disregard the possibility that maybe, just maybe, it's TRUE that most players aren't having performance issues? Sounds to me like you'd be upset no matter what BioWare said. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

and that^

I have a high end machine, i7 2600k, GTX 590, and 8GB RAM - I am experinecing glitchy performance, etc .. Something is not right here .. Battelfield 3, all other games play amaxing, no glitchiness .. something is wrong with the performance of swtor, which is suprising since its an old engine ..

Read the full article here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-10-bioware-most-people-arent-having-swtor-performance-issues

Perfectly shows how detached BioWare is from its community and confirms my decision not to continue playing this technological POS.

Wait... Bioware does exactly what ANY corporation would do (appease the customer by confirming a problem, whether it exists or not), and you're leaving because you think they are detached from the community?

I dare say, you're logic is bass-ackwards.

Wait... Bioware does exactly what ANY corporation would do (appease the customer by confirming a problem, whether it exists or not), and you're leaving because you think they are detached from the community?

I dare say, you're logic is bass-ackwards.

How does saying the problem only exists for a tiny minority of people who have low-end machines (which is a lie, by the way) serve as "confirming a problem?" It's not confirming the problem, it's marginalizing the problem.

How does saying the problem only exists for a tiny minority of people who have low-end machines (which is a lie, by the way) serve as "confirming a problem?" It's not confirming the problem, it's marginalizing the problem.

What's your machine's specs?

Edited by Subatia

Because marginalization is exactly what is needed. The game runs flawlessly for 95~ % of the playerbase. Those other 5%, sure they may have performance issues, but Bioware isn't responsible for fixing the driver errors or router firmware clashes that these people are having. There very well may be a problem with the optimization of the coding, but if a high end rig can't support this game, the simple fact is that that high end rig isn't setup properly.

I have a 3 year old PC with a 1 year old video card & matching power supply. I sit at 30-45 fps no matter where I am. You don't need a super computer to play this game, you need a computer that is maintained and setup properly.

Edited by mattdell

My system is relatively new: built from scratch in July. No framerate issues here except when at fleet during peak times (and there's it's playeable but somewhat choppy... but there I'm just running around buying/selling).

• i7-2600k
  • 16 GB
  • GeForce GTX 570

I haven't heard any of my 25+ guildmates complain of any framerate issues, either.

Edited by saltorio

Because marginalization is exactly what is needed. The game runs flawlessly for 95~ % of the playerbase. Those other 5%, sure they may have performance issues, but Bioware isn't responsible for fixing the driver errors or router firmware clashes that these people are having. There very well may be a problem with the optimization of the coding, but if a high end rig can't support this game, the simple fact is that that high end rig isn't setup properly.

So, are you running shadows on "high?"

Could you provide your data that contradicts Bioware's statement?

I'd prefer it in a spreadsheet format, but any format you got will be fine.

Please ensure the data is in raw numeric form without any added bias.

Edited by Yfelsung

Performance issues exist. They could do well to refine their graphics and world performance a bit more. But that said, they are correct in saying that most people have no issues.

This game has over a million players. Even if most of the forum is full of people complaining about performance issues, which it isn't, that forum population is merely a fraction of the total player base.

So yes, most of their players are either not having issues, or not reporting having issues.

They are 100% correct

MOST people are enjoying the game.

MOST people are not the ones here complaining on the forums.

MOST people can play this game just fine

A very vocal minority are not doing so.

You figure they've got 1m+ purchases of the game since December 20th

If even 1% of those 1m+ purchasers are having issues, that's 10k people. 5%? That's 50k. 10? That's 100k, you get the idea.

So, let's say 10% of the people that purchase the game are here on the forums complaining , whining, etc.. That's STILL 90% of the people that purchased the game (ie: a majority, or most) enjoying the game with minimal issues.

The math supports Bioware, easily.

Did you actually read the article, or just skim it and start complaining?

What Ohlen said was absolutely correct.

Only 5% of people have low performance overall... and yeah that's usually the result of lower end PCs. Where people are having problem is with localized performance issues, meaning they're fine in some places, but have trouble in other specific places. And he completely acknowledged that it was true.

But that's a complete separate issue. That has nothing to do with the game as a whole, but localized areas of the game that need optimization. It's a bug, and it'll get fixed.

Edited by Zeppelin

Bull crap Ohlen. I've lost track of the numbers of players with extremely high-end machines complaining about exactly the problem described in the article.

So Bioware's stance is simply going to be to deny the issue exists and foist it off on "low-end machines?" My i7 with 12 gigs of RAM and HD6970 would like a word with you, Mr. Ohlen.

I have a Q6600, 4GB RAM, and a 512MB HD6870 from a couple of years back. I'm running just fine at 1920x1080 with graphics set to high then bloom (it looks awful in every game, ever) and shadows (I don't care about them and they're one of the biggest resource hogs) turned off. Nothing is overclocked, everything is stock. CPU runs at around 48 degrees, GPU at around 80, both well within tolerances.

You don't need a mega machine to get decent performance.