The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove Lightsaber Color Restrictions

HundeThutt

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While they are at it.. I we might as well make everything not-restricted and have no rules at all.

All Dark can Be Light.. also I want to do it with really no level. I want all the skills to be the same all stats to be the same, I want all of us to be the same look the same and screw some of the lore right?

I mean really... we might as well all be the same.

Why let some game dictate what we should be right?

And...

Yes well if that is the case then they will have to pole people playing the game and not on the forums as well.

The forums are small and actually more biased on things that are very minor in most respects to the entire overall game play.

I mean, if we were to go by pure CANNON LORE.. there would be even more cries on this one... bigtime.

Did you not play either of the previous games in this series? Did you not play the beta? Purple as a blade color choice had NOTHING to do with light or dark, it was an aesthetic choice. You could go looking for color crystals, and change the color of your character's lightsaber. Purple was never restricted to alignment. And from what I've been told, it wasn't restricted to alignment or faction in the beta of THIS game. It's NOT about rules, skills, or stats. It's about a purely aesthetic personal choice that DOES NOT contradict the lore. Go read some books and comics, and educate yourself. This game and the two previous games in the series are based on the EU, specifically the period following the Knights of the Old Republic/Tales of the Jedi comics and graphic novels. So no, the "OMGLOL ONLY THE MOVIES COUNT AS CANON" argument so many people like to bring up is COMPLETELY irrelevant. The lore of the EU has purple-bladed lightsabers, in the hands of Sith AS WELL AS Jedi. And while we're on the subject, again, allow me to re-iterate: I don't recall EVER seeing or reading about a black-core red or yellow lightsaber, yet they are in the game. It royally chaps my arse every time I see those hideous-looking blades, that they can exist and somehow "not contradict the lore", but those of us who have used purple as a lightsaber color in KotOR I and II get the shaft.

Edited by DoktorOrdo

While they are at it.. I we might as well make everything not-restricted and have no rules at all.

All Dark can Be Light.. also I want to do it with really no level. I want all the skills to be the same all stats to be the same, I want all of us to be the same look the same and screw some of the lore right?

I mean really... we might as well all be the same.

Why let some game dictate what we should be right?

Um, if we're going to start throwing around LORE, color crystals have nothing to do with alignment.

Exar Kun had a blue lightsaber. Just sayin.

Exar Kun was also a Jedi at one point.

Regardless, I understand why they put in the restrictions, as traditionally, the Sith used red crystals and the Jedi used blue and green.

I just want them to add different colors. Personally, I'd like to see a silver crystal (aka Corran Horn's lightsaber crystal). I'd also like them to add a non-pvp violet crystal. (And if they have one, forgive me, because I haven't seen it yet.) The yellow-black one was cool starting out, but they should have made it so it scales with your level.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Yep. I say just remove the color restrictions for sabers.

That, or give the extra options to those that, in a sense, switched sides

As in.

Darkside Sith: Uses RED

Lightside Sith: Uses RED or BLUE

Lightside Jedi: Uses BLUE

Darkside Jedi: Uses BLUE or RED

Edited by HanzoV

Regardless, I understand why they put in the restrictions, as traditionally, the Sith used red crystals and the Jedi used blue and green.

But thats just it. In the current system Jedi or Sith is irrelevant. Light uses green or blue and Dark uses red. Unless its a looted saber and then you can use any color crystal thats in it so long as the saber as a whole doesnt have an alignment restriction on it. I've seen a dark jedi weilding one blue and one red st the same time.

But thats just it. In the current system Jedi or Sith is irrelevant. Light uses green or blue and Dark uses red. Unless its a looted saber and then you can use any color crystal thats in it so long as the saber as a whole doesnt have an alignment restriction on it. I've seen a dark jedi weilding one blue and one red st the same time.

I said I undestood the restriction. I didn't say I agreed with it lol.

Also they need to make the colour crystals on ALL weapons moddable again (like they were in beta). It's going to suck when EVERYONE is using ugly black core sabers at end game just because they have no choice in how they look :/

As for colour restrictions. I think they should keep it, tbh they should have made red only for sith and blue/green republic because they are the defining colours.

Edited by NasherUK

Um, if we're going to start throwing around LORE, color crystals have nothing to do with alignment.

Thank you! Thats what im saying!

And that!!

People are blowing it out of proportion.

Not asking for all gear to be unrestricted. JUST LIGHTSABER COLORS! why? because it not like a sith is going to burn his hands picking up a lightsaber with a blue color crystal in it. Its unrealistic. And maybe some Imps want to rollplay a "good" alignment Sith that uses a blue saber. You never know...

Don't have to change the stats... Just unlock the alignment, and perhaps make colors balanced when it comes to availability to each side. Why is it 90% of Sith NPC's have purple? Yet they make it lvl 50 PVP gear for Imps to get, and [as far as i know] impossible for Republic to get?

As for alignment... in KOTOR I & II your character appearance changed as your alignment did. I should be like that. It shouldn't determine your color of lightsaber.

Just my opinion. if you don't like it. thats perfectly fine.

Thank you! Thats what im saying!

And that!!

People are blowing it out of proportion.

Not asking for all gear to be unrestricted. JUST LIGHTSABER COLORS! why? because it not like a sith is going to burn his hands picking up a lightsaber with a blue color crystal in it. Its unrealistic. And maybe some Imps want to rollplay a "good" alignment Sith that uses a blue saber. You never know...

Don't have to change the stats... Just unlock the alignment, and perhaps make colors balanced when it comes to availability to each side. Why is it 90% of Sith NPC's have purple? Yet they make it lvl 50 PVP gear for Imps to get, and [as far as i know] impossible for Republic to get?

As for alignment... in KOTOR I & II your character appearance changed as your alignment did. I should be like that. It shouldn't determine your color of lightsaber.

Just my opinion. if you don't like it. thats perfectly fine.

Technically your appearance does change...if you go dark side. You get the Sith corruption, although Sith corruption on a true born sith is a scary sight, let me tell you.....

You know whats worse than the Lightsaber color restrictions?

Blaster color restrictions. Because im a Bounty Hunter who is mostly grey but leans a little towards light...I cannot put red color crystals in my blaster...thats a big load of crap...since when does moral alignment have anything to do with the color of my blaster pistol? The logic in this whole setup is non existant.

Just start asking people to sell you a customizable saber with a red crystal in it. I bought one off the GTN so my lightside Sentinel now has one blue and one red saber.

Or make a sith and mod a saber and sell it to yourself through Nar Shadda.

Nar Shadda? Can you sell stuff to other faction there or something? *feels like he may have missed somethign important*

There should only restrict certain colors to each faction like this;

Sith Only Colors - Red/Orange

Jedi Only Colors - Blue/Green

Apart from these colors i think every other color should be able to be used by either faction.

Being restricted to red all the time is just boring.

Lightsaber colors need to be completely customizable.

If your class uses one, you are basically going to be using that weapon from now till you quit the game. A custom color palette (or even some kind of two tone option [green with a yellow glow, blue with a purple glow, etc]) would make this alot more bearable, lead to a ton of interesting combinations and generally make everything alot more interesting then the same 5 or whatever colors.

Hell, they could even make some sort of longish complicated quest that you would need to complete before you could have access to it.

• 4 years later...
Well... yes. Remove the color restrictions as long as "red" is always Sith-only.

Have you ever seen a jedi with a red saber? No... Siths with blue? Yes...

So... red- faction only, all the other colors free for all... (altho green is notoriously lame... it could be jedi only...)

Actually there were many Jedi that used Red lightsabers, for example: Obi-wan Kenobi used one of Ventress's lightsabers in the clone wars when they were being attacked by Darth Maul; Anakin Skywalker used a red lightsaber in conjunction with his own to decapitate Count Dooku; Also a Jedi Knight known as Adi Gallia used a red blade as their own Saber. The Jedi don't have a problem with a red saber color, just the technology of the crystals, the reason being that almost all red crystals are synthetic and were created using the dark side of the force, however there are natural red crystals, although VERY rare. So according to the sentences above, the Jedi in SWTOR should in fact be able to use a red saber, although not banned by the council, a red synthetic crystal could still be used, but it is very frowned upon. If the Jedi in SWTOR are like any other Jedi in the Star Wars universe, they wouldn't care if a Jedi used a red saber, so long they used a natural crystal. A Jedi should be able to use a red crystal regardless of their alignment, also there are many Sith depicted with Blue, Green, even Purple lightsabers, so Sith should be able to use Jedi colored crystals with absolutely no problem, other than the occasional dirty look from other Sith Lords. So the color of the saber should NOT be restricted by alignment or faction if the game wants to stay congruent with the rest of the Star Wars universe.