My biggest issue with BH (and the game in general)

Darkholynova

So I was clicking around Torhead and stumbled upon the titles bounty hunters get and saw "Barroness" and "Knight of Alderaan". Having completed the Alderaan missions a few days prior I was wondering if I had missed something. According to the comments, these titles are given out for picking certain options in the final part of the Alderaan mission. Needless to say, I did not choose the correct options to get a title from the mission.

So my issue here is that in an MMO game, I invest a lot of time and effort into one character. I'm a bit of a completion whore, I'll probably scour the galaxy for codex entries and titles once I'm 50. Having missed the only opportunity to get this title, I feel torn about restarting my whole character just to fix this. I honestly shouldn't have to feel this way in an MMO, this sort of missed opportunity belongs in single player games where you can make new choices on your next play through. I won't have a "next play through", I rather enjoy my bounty hunter but I'm a little upset that I'm permanently locked out from getting this title.

Is this a compelling feature to anyone? Understandably there is merit to having a toon that's made all the optimized choices for gaining titles and unique rewards but only to the extent that you can lord these rewards over people who made the wrong choices. I made a choice that reflected how I felt about a situation and in turn I lost out on a cool title.

My suggestion is they allow class missions to be replayed to see different outcomes and gain all possible codex entries/titles or reward all choices with a unique title so no one is left feeling like they made the wrong choice.

Although I can't comment on a specific Title I do know that some titles did not make it to release and the fan sites are listing beta info

Yup, so true. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the titles listed by op aren't around anymore.

I like that choices have permanent consequences. It really customizes your character based on the decisions you made.

In this case it does sound like the title was probably removed went the game went live. They usually don't give you nothing for the choices, it's usually a one or the other kind of deal.

I like that choices have permanent consequences. It really customizes your character based on the decisions you made.

In this case it does sound like the title was probably removed went the game went live. They usually don't give you nothing for the choices, it's usually a one or the other kind of deal.

I agree with this. In WoW, I've always been something of a 'completion whore' as the OP describes himself. However, I love the fact that in this game, choices actually matter. It's the one thing that sets it apart from every other MMO I've played, and I really enjoy that. It seems illogical to me that you could necessarily get EVERY title. I mean, wouldn't some choices that you make preclude others? Makes sense to me. Build your character however you want to build your character, but recognize there are consequences to each and every choice.

Edited by Jhirrad

You probably chose the option that got you the Homewrecker title, it's one of the 3(with the other 2 you mentionned) titles you can get from that quest, depending on what you do.

As far as I remember it goes like this...

If you kill everyone you get the Homewrecker.

If you just let the dude rule you get Knight of Alderaan.

If you marry the lady you become the Baron.

I agree with this. In WoW, I've always been something of a 'completion whore' as the OP describes himself. However, I love the fact that in this game, choices actually matter. It's the one thing that sets it apart from every other MMO I've played, and I really enjoy that. It seems illogical to me that you could necessarily get EVERY title. I mean, wouldn't some choices that you make preclude others? Makes sense to me. Build your character however you want to build your character, but recognize there are consequences to each and every choice.

You can build your character however you want? Not from what I can see. Their customization options are terrible and the decisions are basically forced.

If you are a completionist, you would have to go full dark and full light in order to get all the titles. For me, I hate making some of the dark decisions that I do, but I want the titles, and I also want to be able to use the higher level relics.

The game is poorly designed from this stand point. You need to have equal bonuses at all sides of the spectrum. They SHOULD NEVER have gear be locked out due to how good/bad you are, that is just stupid. So if you don't get to V Light/Dark, you are unable to use the high level relics? Huge fail Bioware, HUGE fail.

Honestly, my character would probably still be Dark I right now if I was playing him as I would want to. Maybe even Light I. I don't know. But many of the choices seem pretty stupid too me in quests. But I have to pick them to get this title, or I have to pick them to be able to get "Dark" enough in order to use the next higher level Relic.

I could have designed a better system when I was 12 years old. It is completely horrible, and needs way more balance. Like high level rewards for being Neutral or at the very low end of Dark/Light. Right now, you are forced to make decisions, or choose to gimp your character.

Some of the worst game design I have seen in a long time. The main problem is, even if they fix it, our characters' stories are already completely ruined due to the decisions we have already made. There is no turning back now :p

Edited by Vidrak

All light / dark requirements should be as they are on the colour crystals.

instead of being "you must have Light III" they should be "Forbidden to Dark III"

That way neutrals can use all gear, DS are restricted from LS gear and LS are resticted from DS gear.

If you are a completionist, you would have to go full dark and full light in order to get all the titles. For me, I hate making some of the dark decisions that I do, but I want the titles, and I also want to be able to use the higher level relics.

The game is poorly designed from this stand point. You need to have equal bonuses at all sides of the spectrum. They SHOULD NEVER have gear be locked out due to how good/bad you are, that is just stupid. So if you don't get to V Light/Dark, you are unable to use the high level relics? Huge fail Bioware, HUGE fail.

Ah, but that's a choice, isn't it? I agree that there should be an equal level of gear available regardless of the choices you make, but not necessarily the exact same items. That's a failing. But otherwise, I personally like the design of things where I decide the choices my character makes (admittedly within a limited scope of options) and my character builds from there, as opposed to just completing a quest with no choices and then you take the reward. That's boring, and I've been there and done that. I don't really have an interest in doing it again.

On the titles, if you progress a story in a certain way, you should get the title associated with that. When there are different options for how you build the story, well, you make your decisions and take what you get. I haven't done that particular quest yet, but from what others posted, it seems like there are three choices, and three associated titles. Makes sense to me.

It's still a choice, but somewhat a forced choice. Do I choose to make a story for my character how I want it? Or do I choose to make a competitive character and choose the things that will make him better off gear wise in the long run?

The story should not conflict with how a character performs in the game. Hence, gear can be locked out, sure, but there needs to be equal gear for all points on the light/dark spectrum. The game forces you down the light/dark path, simple as that. Which I am saying, I do not like.

I chose to make my character competitive and the best he can be, thus sacrificing some of the choices for others during my story. I wish I could play the game story how I would want to play it, and not always be worrying about gimping myself later on.

That is what I am saying. I like doing the story, but for a competitive MMO game, I am not sure it really works with how it is implemented. Things need to be balanced evenly. Which they didn't seem to really consider at any point apparently when looking at the rewards from things.

Also, I think many of the "choices" you think you are making are not really effecting anything. Just because a Bounty Hunter constantly says "give me more money" doesn't mean you make more money than any other character out there. I am sure you are getting the exact same rewards as everyone else. It is just the illusion that you are actually making meaningful choices :p

Sure, there have been a few times where I have received extra credits due to my responses, they are far from a regular occurrence. The biggest influence I see with quest responses is Companion gains and Light or Dark side points.

Edited by Vidrak

Okay spoilers for Alderaan alert!

I rolled a female charactor and I chose to elect the daughter of the Uncle. This doesn't get me the Baroness or the Knight of Alderaan title or the Homewrecker title. I fully agree that having meaningful choices is awesome, but I out of 3 unique titles I could have received.... I got nothing because they didn't bother to make a title for my outcome. It's not a matter of dark or light side, but being a woman and chosing the woman option.

Seriously, if they're going to put in titles unique to your choices... Them make a title for every choice combination. I guess you gotta play the game with a bloody guide to make sure you don't get screwed out of titles.

Like I said, I agree that the gear options shouldn't be different based on that. There should be equal gear across the entire spectrum. It can be different (different visuals is primarily what I'm thinking of) but you're right in saying that in game choices shouldn't ultimately gimp you at end-game.

And while I know that a lot of my choices as a BH don't actually give me more money, it does change the experience I have in the game than someone else that makes different choices, and I like that. I enjoy knowing that I'm playing a game unique to me and my choices.

I feel seriously discriminated against for choosing to be a neutral bounty hunter. Something just isn't right with that.

Seriously. They put 3 unique titles in the game for this quest and you can end up with nothing if not willing to pimp yourself out to the nobles or slaughter them all. The Knight of Alderaan title should be given to anyone who doesn't get the Baron/Baroness or Homewrecker simply for the service you've provided that noble house.

Seriously. They put 3 unique titles in the game for this quest and you can end up with nothing if not willing to pimp yourself out to the nobles or slaughter them all. The Knight of Alderaan title should be given to anyone who doesn't get the Baron/Baroness or Homewrecker simply for the service you've provided that noble house.

I TOTALLY agree with you. I just finished this quest as a female and feel totally cheated and disappointed. I picked the only option that felt right, but it didn't give me a title. Knight of Alderaan would have been appropriate.

Grr.

All light / dark requirements should be as they are on the colour crystals.

instead of being "you must have Light III" they should be "Forbidden to Dark III"

That way neutrals can use all gear, DS are restricted from LS gear and LS are resticted from DS gear.

Well said!

It's still a choice, but somewhat a forced choice. Do I choose to make a story for my character how I want it? Or do I choose to make a competitive character and choose the things that will make him better off gear wise in the long run?

The story should not conflict with how a character performs in the game. Hence, gear can be locked out, sure, but there needs to be equal gear for all points on the light/dark spectrum. The game forces you down the light/dark path, simple as that. Which I am saying, I do not like.

I chose to make my character competitive and the best he can be, thus sacrificing some of the choices for others during my story. I wish I could play the game story how I would want to play it, and not always be worrying about gimping myself later on.

That is what I am saying. I like doing the story, but for a competitive MMO game, I am not sure it really works with how it is implemented. Things need to be balanced evenly. Which they didn't seem to really consider at any point apparently when looking at the rewards from things.

Also, I think many of the "choices" you think you are making are not really effecting anything. Just because a Bounty Hunter constantly says "give me more money" doesn't mean you make more money than any other character out there. I am sure you are getting the exact same rewards as everyone else. It is just the illusion that you are actually making meaningful choices :p

Sure, there have been a few times where I have received extra credits due to my responses, they are far from a regular occurrence. The biggest influence I see with quest responses is Companion gains and Light or Dark side points.

For makers sakes, the game is designed around choices and has been known sense the beginning.

You probably chose the option that got you the Homewrecker title, it's one of the 3(with the other 2 you mentionned) titles you can get from that quest, depending on what you do.

As far as I remember it goes like this...

If you kill everyone you get the Homewrecker.

If you just let the dude rule you get Knight of Alderaan.

If you marry the lady you become the Baron.

this.......

I like the way it is. should they add something for neutrals sure but what? Its designed so there are loot options for everyone. So that if a relic drops not everyone just auto rolls if your a sith playing lightside you prob wont have to worry about competition on relic drops. and for titles there is no way you will ever get all titles since all classes have different titles also light and dark have different titles as well. Again its to make your choices matter and unique god forbid everyone walking around with "lord" or "darth" in front of their name.

There was a blue somewhere about the design team working on neutral gear.. real tired.. but I'll try to find it again. And really they aren't forcing anything.. Most drops I've found thus far ( mind you, I'm not raiding yet) haven't had a req either way. Neither do several of the crafted relics..

One of the best things of playing SWTOR is that your choices in the questlines really have an effect on your character. i.e Going dark shows sith corruption.

Granted that there is an option to leave that out as a nod to character customization and aesthetics.

I know the quest of which you speak of, have done that quest and in fact if you were paying attention to the conversation; the Baron's son does in fact state that he will give you a title, if you choose him.

You could of course.. choose to reroll.

Finally, Developers have conclusively commited to adding Neutral gear into the game.

You can build your character however you want? Not from what I can see. Their customization options are terrible and the decisions are basically forced.

You realize you can roll back through grey flashpoints and still get the light/darkside points, right?

Also that Biochem is basically the best crew skill, and requires diplomacy, WHICH all the missions give you light/dark points depending on which missions you choose?

There's no reason to be making choices you aren't happy with just to get light/dark V other than laziness. Take diplomacy or solo a few old flashpoints and you'll be aces.

Don't get me wrong, more/better neutral options in gear would be grand, but about half your complaint springs from a false premise: That you have to choose all dark or all light to 'maximize' your character.