Rolling need for your companion

Formorianman

Good luck trying to find a group after you're announced to be a ninja on General 24/7 after you try to pull something like that.

Those people will continue to get groups same as they always did, because... nobody considers you the authority on someone else's behavior.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you need it for your comp then you need it, simple as that, if you dont like it dont group with anyone.

Your comp is integral to your main so it needs to be equipped same as you do. Get over it or **** off and play something else.

I think with the current loot scheme, rolling need for your companion leaves no consideration that A MAIN CHARACTER is fighting that battle and SHOULD have the sole right to take that item for HIS MAIN CHARACTER. HIS MAIN CHARACTER takes priority over your companion. After all we all have companions. If we don't establish this etiquette, then screw it. Everyone roll need whether you need it or not. See how that plays out in PUG.

Or we can establish the most logical hierachy given the current loot system:

1) If loot is specific to fighting MAIN, only he NEEDS it.

2) If loot is below spec of the fighting MAIN's current equipment, he should roll GREED along with all the rest, including companions. We all have companions.

To say your companion is just as important as the Main blatently disregards his contribution to the group and his sole reason for being there in the first place.

We shouldn't have to lay down these ground rules each and every group that is formed. If you don't follow this unspoken etiquette, you will be considered rude and don't expect to come back after being kicked.

Come back and we'll review that number when you're level 50.

And? the people I group with understand this concept already and we have no problems with people rolling need for companion upgrades.

When I PUG, the looting preferences are discussed when we start. I have yet to have an issue with this, though I have had to explain the concept to a few people, none have said no thanks and went their own way.

Roughly 75%+ of this game is outside of instance play. Sad that you keep ignoring that.

Yet you think you should be able to use gear on your companion from the other 25%? Again, thinking you should get to roll on something for a companion when yo can't actually use the companion is just garbage.

I think with the current loot scheme, rolling need for your companion leaves no consideration that A MAIN CHARACTER is fighting that battle and SHOULD have the sole right to take that item for HIS MAIN CHARACTER. HIS MAIN CHARACTER takes priority over your companion. After all we all have companions. If we don't establish this etiquette, then screw it. Everyone roll need whether you need it or not. See how that plays out in PUG.

Or we can establish the most logical hierachy given the current loot system:

1) If loot is specific to fighting MAIN, only he NEEDS it.

2) If loot is below spec of the fighting MAIN's current equipment, he should roll GREED along with all the rest, including companions. We all have companions.

To say your companion is just as important as the Main blatently disregards his contribution to the group and his sole reason for being there in the first place.

We shouldn't have to lay down these ground rules each and every group that is formed. If you don't follow this unspoken etiquette, you will be considered rude and don't expect to come back after being kicked.

Well said.

Yet you think you should be able to use gear on your companion from the other 25%? Again, thinking you should get to roll on something for a companion when yo can't actually use the companion is just garbage.

It's unfortunate, yet a big part of playing MMOs is having to deal with certain socially inept types that have traditionally holed themselves up playing single player games and have no idea how to interact with other human beings. Ah well, all good comes with some bad!

Edited by ApolloAtlantis

People who have the view that since a companion is required to play a part of the game, that it is basicly an extension of their character and their own ability to kill things. Try not using a companion while you play, it's tough (I dont bother trying so im not exactly sure).

All your reasoning and views go out the window. My healing operative needs to keep her tank companion's gear current 24/7. If it's not we suffer or die. I do FPs to gear her out. See where this is going?

Ignoring due to an opinion that differs? Could you get any more childish?

Regardless of your opinion, you can avoid a lot of problems by simply communicating with your group that you intend to roll Need for items for your companions before starting the run. It may get you dropped from a lot of groups unless you agree to not do that, but people will respect that you talked to them about it first.

The point of running instances is to get gear to improve your overall character, which in this game involves companions. The fact that your companion does not participate in those group encounters does nothing to negate the fact that they are a part of your overall character.

People who have the view that since a companion is required to play a part of the game, that it is basicly an extension of their character and their own ability to kill things. Try not using a companion while you play, it's tough (I dont bother trying so im not exactly sure).

All your reasoning and views go out the window. My healing operative needs to keep her tank companion's gear current 24/7. If it's not we suffer or die. I do FPs to gear her out. See where this is going?

Yes, I get where you are going, you think it's ok to screw over grouping players to get gear that helps you solo.

"Enjoy it while it lasts", is the remainder of what I have to say about this topic. This is one oversight that BW is bound to fix, and you will only have yourselves to blame for it, because you put AIs above the MAINS of other players who are in the FP with you. It's that simple. If you claim that you don't care, that's fine, but don't claim that it's some sort of accepted societal norm, or you will be laughed at. :)

The point of running instances is to get gear to improve your overall character, which in this game involves companions. The fact that your companion does not participate in those group encounters does nothing to negate the fact that they are a part of your overall character.

Ah I see! So since I have several companions of every archetype, I may as well roll need on absolutely everything I see, since it will improve one of them at least.

Hell, I'll roll need even if it doesn't improve them, because I can vendor the item for credits, which in turn I can use to purchase more upgradeable items for my overall character. Because really, the point of running instances is to improve my overall character right?

OK everybody, NEED ON EVERYTHING!

Even making it automatically bound doesn't deter the behavior. If they weren't actually going to upgrade their companion with the item, they'd have just vendored it anyway.

My solution is to combat needing for companion to USE. I don't think anyone believes there is a big problem with people who need to vendor. You will easily get more money and less hassle by selling the junk that drops in an instance. It's sort of a red herring. Ninja's don't want the cash, they want the loot. It takes 4 minutes to do a space mission and make an easy 1k worth of creds.

No system with any kind of human interaction will COMPLETELY deter bad behavior. My suggestion doesn't try to 100% fix the problem, just squash the biggest issue behind it....companion load out. I've also suggested a greed/pass option in another thread. That's a less popular solution though.

Right... but we ARE supposed to consider YOU the authority.

Logic fail, FTW!

My point went right over your head. What I meant is that NOBODY is. That's why you posting in general that someone is a ninja will have little to no effect on their group-finding ability.

Ah I see! So since I have several companions of every archetype, I may as well roll need on absolutely everything I see, since it will improve one of them at least.

Hell, I'll roll need even if it doesn't improve them, because I can vendor the item for credits, which in turn I can use to purchase more upgradeable items for my overall character. Because really, the point of running instances is to improve my overall character right?

OK everybody, NEED ON EVERYTHING!

You could. I guarantee a quater to half of the server will hear about it and in the course of a month only people who have no clue who you are will ever group with you. That is completely up to you and no one can tell you how to play.

You could. I guarantee a quater to half of the server will hear about it and in the course of a month only people who have no clue who you are will ever group with you. That is completely up to you and no one can tell you how to play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reldun

Yes, I get where you are going, you think it's ok to screw over grouping players to get gear that helps you solo.

Nice way to put it but yes exactly.

Well since this is essentially what you're doing, I look forward to watching you building a great reputation for yourself.

Edited by ApolloAtlantis

I'll boot you from a group the first time you do it. I imagine others will too, once the average level is a bit higher, and people like you are watched more closely. Enjoy.

Actually I often make it clear that I am rolling need on companion gear. I have not had a problem since. No problem in any case, and if they have a problem I can find another group. Try toning down the drama lolololol.

Edited by Aisar

I'll boot you from a group the first time you do it. I imagine others will too, once the average level is a bit higher, and people like you are watched more closely. Enjoy.

So when is this supposed to start happening, exactly? Can we get some sort of time-frame estimate?

Actually I often make it clear that I am rolling need on companion gear. I have not had a problem since. No problem in any case, and if they have a problem I can find another group. Try toning down the drama lolololol.

LOL I wish you could land in one of my groups so I could boot your sorry *** out.