Dual Spec: Let's Talk about it.

Spoonuser

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title says it all.

What do you think the pros/cons of such a system would be?

I for one, am not having too much fun, spending 100k everytime I want to switch from PvP to PvE spec. I'm being carroted into playing in one style of play, yet the game has many to offer.

A complete waste of time, they've already said it's coming in a patch after release, just be patient.

I want to be able to tank instances, and play as DPS through my daily quests and PvP. It's stupid that this is not possible. This system just makes the game less fun.

Actually you should have written

I want to be able to tank instances, and play as DPS through my daily quests and PvP. It's stupid that this is not possible to have it with no cost attached to it while at the same time why should epic mount cost credits at all This system just makes the game less fun.

That would actually be more accurate

Edited by Varghjerta

Dual speccing to allow a person to have two different talent builds set up that they could swap between, I'd totally agree with, chiefly because there are a lot of things to do in the game that...it is not unreasonable to want to do on a single character.

Wanna PVP? There are quite a few talents on lots of trees of every class I've examined the trees for (read: most of them) that are obviously designed for PVP usefulness more than PVE.

They don't help you much in PVE, and if you're speccing for PVE, taking the PVP talents will often cost you valuable talent points that will directly harm your PVE performance; the reverse is equally true.

So, being able to carry a PVE and a PVP spec would be grand. You'll conceivably want one on every character.

Now, if we're talking about class specialization dualing? No. We should not be able to be a Marauder and Juggernaut on the same character and swap between those specs, just to put a finger on the line I'd personally draw on acceptability.

Talent tree dual specs though...I'd encourage it. Will everyone carry a PVP and PVE spec? Naw. Some will carry solo PVE and raid PVE specs and muck through PVP uncaring of the relatively minor hindrances their tweaked PVE builds suffer.

Hardcore PVPers will have a spec to totally tweak to the theorycrafted, FOTM perfection for their class and still have a spec to go burn around in PVE on when they want...or two different PVP specs to totally play around with different approaches on.

I like the way respec costs work right now. They start cheap and get spendy the more you do it, and gradually reduce in price the longer you avoid it after doing it. I dunno if they eventually return to costing 0, but it gives some incentive to thinking your build out before you commit to it.

Dual speccing wouldn't degrade the respec costs. At worst, it would give any given player one more freespec...that, to respec, they'd have to pay the escalating costs of same as they would on a single spec anyway.

Are there cons to allowing dual spec? There are in the minds of some, but I very pointedly refuse to acknowledge those stated on this thread as valid, objective concerns to matters of game balance or sustainability of the 'main attraction', being heavy replay intended across numerous alts.

As has been points out, the legacy system strongly encourages lots of alts on the same server; the more you invest in your legacy on a given server, the more it will presumably benefit you.

We don't have a clue how yet, only the assurance that it will, but unless the legacy benefits turn out to be completely irrelevant to anybody's potential interests (highly unlikely; Bioware's not staffed by inert stumps), it will be a strong motivator to stick to one server and roll a lot of alts on it, and -play- those alts a lot.

Frankly, allowing dual spec broadens the quality of life factor for the majorities on any one of those definitively encourage alts. Considering that, at this time, we get 8 character slots per server, that's room enough for one of each class on both sides...but exactly 8 too few on a given server for one of every advanced class.

In the long term, you'll have to roll on a new server, or delete established alts on your invested-in server, to play whatever 8 advanced classes you couldn't fit in. You'll have to invest in at least two servers very heavily to play all 16 advanced classes.

Now, not everyone will invest that much into the game. I'd reckon that only a relatively small minority will be that invested in so many alts pretty much ever, but the framework; the ironclad facts-in-definition; are thus.

Dual speccing is nothing but a good idea in that framework. Increasing the variability and ease of enjoyment; the quality of life; on any character by allowing us to have a spec for This and a spec for That neither detracts from the number of characters, servers or the amount of time we'd have to invest to play -everything-...and, in fact, serves the interests of the beancounters by giving us -more- reason to spend -more- time on each individual character, gathering gear for our differentiated specs and generally enjoying more of what there is to do on every single one of them as and if we choose.

So, there's that.

Arent the same people who said "leveling is too easy in this game, I got to 50 in 4 days bla bla bla" are the same ones begging for dual spec?

If you got to 50 so fast, just do it again.

(100k for a respec is insane though! why cant the cost just cooldown over time.)

Arent the same people who said "leveling is too easy in this game, I got to 50 in 4 days bla bla bla" are the same ones begging for dual spec?

If you got to 50 so fast, just do it again.

(100k for a respec is insane though! why cant the cost just cooldown over time.)

It does it resets to cost 0 in a week but that aint good enough for some

The only real problem right now is the way raids ARE designed. For instance, there is really no need for more than one tank in a raid, ****, some encounters you need none.

So what? How do you provide people tanks to do group content with and actually keep them in the guild if you only need one tank? "Hey buddy, feel free to tank those heroics for folks but sorry, you'll never see a raid boss because I'd rather a dps."

Dual spec will only help, not hurt and thank god it's coming.

I'm not a fan of multi specs. For the following reasons.

1. I do not get the feel that I am play a role playing game, when my character can be anything it wants at any time.

2. I get pressured when rolling in groups, guild, allaince, pug, doesn't matter..that if a role is needed for the group I must respec my character to fill that role and not play the way I want to play.

3. I feel it cheapens the game, making everything easier as no thought needs to be put into building your characters and groups. Just go out, find a mob to kill, then roll the appropriate spec to do it. Meh, no challenge means I no longer feel a need to play the game.

I say NO to dual spec! and keep respec cost high!

I do not want to have to face guild pressure to have a heal/tank spec!

No dont tell me roll a gunslinger i have a very viable dps commando!

What starts out as optional soon becomes demanded. Rift is prime example. What sounded great with a flexible soul system became you WILL carry a spec for all possible roles or you wont raid!

So blame your stupid guild for it!

Dual spec is mandatory today. Not dual AC, just dual spec. And don't give me the old "derp, but wow wuz fien witout it for years". And Men was fine without the Wheel for thousands of years, your point is ?

Dual spec allows for access to more content, as you're not gimped to go pve with a pvp spec and viceversa because of the insane respec costs. You are also not annoyed and forced into questing as a healer with bad damage, because you want to heal in instances.

Edited by Chomag

Dual specs devalue the entire point of specs. If you allow this, you may as well stick all the talents into one giant tree and allow double the points that way people won't have to be "inconvenienced" (such a sad excuse for mediocrity) by having to spend 5 secs changing specs.

Again, you are all wasting your time, they're adding it, it's been known since beta, do a little more research, a little less complaining about everything. All of you argueing against dual spec, just shut up, jesus, you people will complain about anything. What an absolutley idiotic thing to be against.

Again, you are all wasting your time, they're adding it, it's been known since beta, do a little more research, a little less complaining about everything. All of you argueing against dual spec, just shut up, jesus, you people will complain about anything. What an absolutley idiotic thing to be against.

Says the guy here complaining about it...

Says the guy who can't read, or is too stupid to comprehend the english language, reread my post and think about what you said.

Now, read what you wrote and think about what you said. Whining about whining is quite probably the most idiotic reason to post. If you are unable to read the forum post name (which apparently you are) then the first few posts should have been an indicator that this post isn't for you. As you stumbled ahead anyway trying to be a big boy tough guy, you accidentally fell into a giant pit of hypocrisy.

But hey, if it makes you feel tough, if it gives you a story to tell your friends about how you totally "owned" someone on a forum...you go crazy.

P.S. Dual spec remains stupid.

Actually can you please link it where it stands black and white that they will implement it?

OR do you use wish as was stated many months ago as a sure thing? in that case all Pve abilities will become as good as the PvP abilities aswell.

While in the Q/A with Reid in December it was just said it had been talked about nothing more.

I swear people must start reading the whole sentences instead of just mixing words and form theire own conclussion

Edited by Varghjerta

I as well do not want a dual spec and I want respec costs to be high

You have to choose your class and your specialty and I for one like it that way

Hey Bobba Fett we know you are the most feared and powerful bounty hunter in the galaxy, but we want you to not damage anyone and stand in the back and heal

That ofc would never happen

I think instead of posting thread after thread about dual spec (and addons/LFD), what's really needed from the developers is a definitive statement of intent as to whether there will or won't be a dual spec option. I realize that in the past they've intimated that there will be, but they've also hinted at the opposite.

I just think a lot of the threads could be trimmed down considerably if this wasn't a constant topic of conversation due to lack of hard information.

Actually can you please link it where it stands black and white that they will implement it?

OR do you use wish as was stated many months ago as a sure thing?

While in the Q/A with Reid in December it was just said it had been talked about nothing more.

I swear people must start reading the whole sentences instead of just mixing words and form theire own conclussion

Right no you can search it yourself, and no his interview is not what I refer to, it was stated on these forums multiple times, they have plans to add it, it wouldn't be ready for release, they also said no AC respeccing is planned.

Now, read what you wrote and think about what you said. Whining about whining is quite probably the most idiotic reason to post. If you are unable to read the forum post name (which apparently you are) then the first few posts should have been an indicator that this post isn't for you. As you stumbled ahead anyway trying to be a big boy tough guy, you accidentally fell into a giant pit of hypocrisy.

But hey, if it makes you feel tough, if it gives you a story to tell your friends about how you totally "owned" someone on a forum...you go crazy.

P.S. Dual spec remains stupid.

TLDR, I never whined, I just said you people will whine about anything, whining and throwing tantrums about something that's already confirmed, is in fact a waste of time, and a convenience like dual spec, crying because you might have to be a useful spec, or it ruins you imnerdsion, i find stupid, but to each their own.

TLDR, I never whined, I just said you people will whine about anything, whining and throwing tantrums about something that's already confirmed, is in fact a waste of time, and a convenience like dual spec, crying because you might have to be a useful spec, or it ruins you imnerdsion, i find stupid, but to each their own.

You most certainly did. Read your post a third time...

And what you think you saw BW say never happened. I never saw it and nothing shows up anywhere else online except vague "maybes".

Duel spec would solve the Healer / Tank Shortage. The game is becomign very boring and flavorless for me because I refuse to spend so much of my hard earned credits on respeccing just to fill a roll someone needs.

So unfortunatly since my guild needs a healer I am stuck specced as a healer, I dont want to have to farm credits for an 1-2 Hrs a day just so I can enjoy playing PvP or something else in a diffrent spec.

Having dual spec hurts nobody, not having dual spec hurts me....