Swtor free to play

convictionx

You're just fooling people with the "f2p". You're going to pay for something eventually and it might seem like a good deal at the time, but just add up the costs and you'll see that the $15 a month subscription is so cheap it's insane.

For $15 you get full access to a game in a regular subscription based game.

Now calculate how much you have to spend to get full access to a "f2p" game. With full access i mean zones, quests, races, classes, inventory and whatever they want you to pay for.

Nothing is free to begin with. The correct term to use with a "f2p" is how much are you willing to spend.

The problem with f2p games is that they lack quality. To get full access to a f2p you'd have to pay insane sums of money. For example to fully unlock a game like lotro or EQ2 without subscribing you'd have to pay 100's of dollars. You realize that right?

Nah, i'd take a monthly subscription fee over a f2p without blinking my eyes. But if a game lacks it turns into a f2p, no talk about it.

No, f2p's won't be the future of mmos there will always be a couple subscription based ones out there to rule them all, like WoW. I really hope swtor don't fall into the pit of despair aka f2p. It would really be sad. The game isn't even designed to be a f2p. A f2p is a grind feast, they're not quest based. To turn swtor into a f2p you'd have to lock all zones for "f2p" users and have them *buy* them to even be able to access/quest in them. Disaster.

F2P does not mean you have to pay to get access to game features? Will GW2 be like that too?

So who thinks it will have to go free to play within the next year.

Nope. EA don't believe in F2P. Just look at UO, DAoC and Warhammer. All still P2P games despite all being in a position where they might actually benefit from the F2P model.

I think a model more like xbox live expansion where you pay for the new content you want rather than have to keep paying for what you already brought at release.

Anyway I rather buy 6 new games than subscribe for a year makes no sense to me.

For example

Mass effect 3

Diablo 3

GTA 5

Halo 4

Bio shock infinity

Max Payne 3

Now what would be more fun ?

I'm rich, I'll buy them all and monthly sub to swtor.

I think your off by a factor of 10. The game has already broken even on development costs, it only needs ~100-300K subscribers to continue support for it.

With that amount of player they would pull the plug on for sure don`t forget Lucas arts and EA need there cut then paying for the servers and development id say less than a half million would be the tipping point.

With that amount of player they would pull the plug on for sure don`t forget Lucas arts and EA need there cut then paying for the servers and development id say less than a half million would be the tipping point.

You realize that what I'm saying is that they need 100K-300K to break even. I believe they will have considerably more than that, considering they expect to be healthily profitable at 500K subs.

So who thinks it will have to go free to play within the next year.

No way.

But if you read some comments from converted WoW zealots, the players themselves propose to pay extra for things like name changes, character changes and server transfers.

So with EA behind the scenes, be rather prepared to have a combination of monthly fees and additional costs for extra services like in the F2P games; in case SWTOR becomes a success.

Edited by genpion

i guess paying 9.99 for 10 more inventory slots is something you find appealing.

That's what he's saying. People misunderstand f2p. It's actually a way for developers to make more money than via subscription alone.

The principle behind it is called "market segmentation", and it's all the rage as a business model. In effect, you pay for as much of the game as you want or use.

LOTRO was actually a fairly successful subscription game already, it didn't go f2p because it failed, it went f2p because Turbine wanted to make more money out of it. OTOH DDO had failed, but notice that Turbine didn't put DDO on an f2p model first.

It's true that some games like CO went f2p because they failed as subscription games, but that doesn't make being f2p in itself a sign of game failure.

Interestingly, in leaked documents early last year, it became evident that CCP, the developers of EVE Online, were aiming to milk EVE Online by introducing even more f2p elements than it had already (it has a system where you can buy game time from CCP, then sell game time for in-game money to other players, thus effectively making it f2p for those players who have large in-game resources). The hardcore playerbase soon gave them a black eye for that, and they've shelved their plans. But this goes to show you that successful games can see f2p as a way of being even more successful.

However, if a game has a healthy subscription, and since coding for f2p is a bunch of work, if a game's doing well on subs, there's little incentive to move to f2p immediately.

SWTOR may do it eventually, but even if it does, it won't necessarily be a sign of failure.

Edited by gurugeorge

Hello all,

We are going to go ahead and close this thread. We would like everyone to please see this thread from AllisonBerryman regarding constructive feedback in the forums.

A reminder about feedback and the Forums – please read

We appreciate your feedback, but we do ask that it is constructive. We will go ahead and close this thread, but please feel free to share your feedback here, in our suggestions thread.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=87349

Thank you.