Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

Wow.

I'm clueless, I thought I could figure this out, but am having huge issues trying to understand the setup process.

I have 16 gigs of Kingston 1600 Hyper X, I downloaded the program from the link provided on the first page of this thread and ran it. That's as far as I can get. All the stuff on the first page after downloading is over my head.

Any help would be great or someone to call to walk me through it.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Zoggel
Removed personal information

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I'm clueless, I thought I could figure this out, but am having huge issues trying to understand the setup process.

I have 16 gigs of Kingston 1600 Hyper X, I downloaded the program from the link provided on the first page of this thread and ran it. That's as far as I can get. All the stuff on the first page after downloading is over my head.

Any help would be great or someone to call to walk me through it.

Thanks for any help!

You can always use the all-in-one batch script for this purpose. This script does all the steps described by Lemon_King. Follow the "how to setup" and "create a batch file" in http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2892331.

I can always try to assist you with using the batchscript.

Edited by Aurrelio

You can always use the all-in-one batch script for this purpose. This script does all the steps described by Lemon_King. Follow the "how to setup" and "create a batch file" in http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2892331.

I can always try to assist you with using the batchscript.

Thanks for getting back to me!

I got it to work and it shows it along with my other drive.

Thank you for the help!

Edit:

Wow!

What a difference that made. I allocated 4 gigs of my 16 and I could tell right away by how fast the load screens were, HUGE difference.

I went down to Taris to do some quests, and as soon as I got there I was doing over 100FPS! I killed some mobs just to check it out and didn't drop below 76FPS. On my ship I saw as high as 140, but stabilized at 111.

The fleet was a different story, no change. Running at 36 average with some spikes up to 60 and down to 22 and stil stuttering. I haven't gone into a WZ or Ilum yet, will later tonight and post results.

Thank you for taking the time to put this together, it's made an enormous difference.

Edited by boatracer

I have never done anything like this and am interested in trying the ALL IN ONE METHOD, is this something that has to be completely typed out or is there a file that I need to download? Because I'm looking for a link to a file for this.

Also i have 16gigs of RAM and will be going the 4gig ramdisk route.

Thanks to everyone for all of thier work on this and any future help provided!

Hey, just want to thank Ocmer_ and Lemon_King for doing this. It's made pvp playable for me. I do have an issue though. The first time I open the game after I reboot it works great, but if I close the game and restart it it plays as if I didn't have the files on the ramdrive at all. I've been getting around this with a lot of reboots but I'm sure there must be a better way to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have never done anything like this and am interested in trying the ALL IN ONE METHOD, is this something that has to be completely typed out or is there a file that I need to download? Because I'm looking for a link to a file for this.

It was really confusing for me at first, but once I figured it out it was simple.

I'll try my best to explain.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2892331.

Once you go to that link scroll down until you see a spoiler tag, there's two, click the top one.

Once it opens, copy the text in it. Open notepad and paste it, I named it swtor.bat. Make sure that whever you name it has .bat after it and save it to your desktop. Once you paste it, read the top couple of paragraphs and it will tell you how to rename it and how to allocate your ram. Once you make the changes, close it.

There will be a file on your desktop with a gear on it, right click and run as adminstator. A black box will open with some text in it, press S on your keyboard and enter. The box will close, right click it again and run as admin, this time click M and then enter. It will close again and you're done.

Click start, then computer and it should show up with the rest of your drives.

Hope this helps, it did me! :)

Edited by boatracer

Hey, just want to thank Ocmer_ and Lemon_King for doing this. It's made pvp playable for me. I do have an issue though. The first time I open the game after I reboot it works great, but if I close the game and restart it it plays as if I didn't have the files on the ramdrive at all. I've been getting around this with a lot of reboots but I'm sure there must be a better way to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Funnily that is my experience also....

First time I setup the changes, game flies, then quit game and restart a lesser performance...

Reboot, everything again faster, I will try to delete the DiskArenaCache or whatever before every start and lets see what happens then after...

I also like to make one contribution...

I have a 4GB computer, I have an X58 board, which is not able to run more then 4GB because some electrical restrictions at North and South bridge....

And I don't like to buy a new rig at the moment, the prices are ballooned because of the new year, it is better to wait a little bit....

But I really like to test this method and I found compromise and it really helped me....

While I have only 4 GB of RAM I only created a 600 MB RAMDISK and build the link to there only for the files "DiskCacheStatic / DiskCacheStream".

Now I have two SATA drives in the system, so I thought If I configure so that "DiskCacheArena" will lie not in the same SATA drive as the SWTOR installed, I might gain some performance (if the asset files and DiskCacheArena lies in the same drive, drive has to read and write in the same time, which can be never good)...

It really did help....I made some backward testing (normal SWTOR installation) and with Fancy Cache setups, this is the only constellation really helps me....

Now one funny point, I gain most of the performance only, if the machine clean rebooted and RAMDRIVE/Link is newly created....if I quit the game and reload, there is still some performance gain but not as good as first start....

I don't understand the exact reason, but I have a feeling it works better if DiskCacheArena / DiskCacheStatic / DiskCacheStream are newly created, I will make some change so these files will be deleted before the restart and report the results here.....

Edited by floriwie

Currently the ALL-IN-ONE script is written for the cachefiles and fx asset file, thus taking 1.5GB to 2GB. For adding more asset files you have to fix yourself by the method of Lemon_King or maybe ill wrap up a ALL-IN-ONE for dynamic asset files in a few days.

As for the script you can copy it from my post. Just click on the spoiler tag and it will show you the code. To make the batchfiles there is also a how to described.

and @the_rest with this.

While I don't usually restart the game with a filled ramdrive I don't really notice. I self only have 6GB of ram and I dismount my ramdrive between game sessions to free memory. When I decide to play again I'll just mount it again.

Dismounting can be done with the ALL-In-ONE script but then press 'd' in the menu. Don't forget to remount it again with 'm' if you decided to play again. This will probably have the same effect as completely reboot your computer, as you flush the ramdrive.

I don't understand the exact reason, but I have a feeling it works better if DiskCacheArena / DiskCacheStatic / DiskCacheStream are newly created, I will make some change so these files will be deleted before the restart and report the results here.....

The game automatically deletes 'DiskCacheStatic' and 'DiskCacheStream' when you close SWTOR. And recreates those when you start playing again. DiskCacheArena will stay.

This is also the reason we have to put the whole local SWTOR folder on the ramdrive, as we cannot link the 2 cache files directly as the game will delete the links at boot.

Also read my post above this one, the ALL-IN-ONE has a dismount option to clear the ramdrive.

Edited by Ocmer_

One other question, the configuration used here with imdisk

imdisk -a -s 1500M -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

is it able to see "Invisible Memory" above 3GB for 4GB windows 32bit environments or I have to use the following command...

imdisk -a -s 1500M -f \\.\awealloc -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

as it mentioned here (http://reboot.pro/7973/)

It looks like it, but as the dev mentioned:

Anyway, essential for awealloc to work the way you want is in your case to add both /PAE and /AWE to start command in boot.ini

*XP does not have /AWE

You can always try it out, have to do the manual way or change it in the batchscript. And report back for other people who are running a 32bit version of Windows with more than 3GB ram. Also chech memory if it really uses the 'hidden' memory.

If it works I might aswell add it to the all-in-one batchscript, with 32 or 64bit detection and step execution.

Edited by Ocmer_

The game automatically deletes 'DiskCacheStatic' and 'DiskCacheStream' when you close SWTOR. And recreates those when you start playing again. DiskCacheArena will stay.

Not exactly, those files are created & deleted during a gameplay session. Except for DiskCacheArena.

Not to hate on this post OP as it is very good and informative. Performance issues is something that Bioware has responsibility of, it's not the players fault that Bioware have a problematic game client.

Tweaks etc is something that a customer never should have to do ever. This is Biowares fault and fail and they are the one that have to fix it ASAP

Well i went ahead and did the All IN ONE METHOD, and the game loads fine. But how do I go about applying the method here http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=2577689??

Because my main goal is to remove the hitching on fleet and get the planet load screen times down.

The 4GB Dynamic asset files is not added to the ALL-IN-ONE script yet. Like I said I might whip up a modified script, but will be in a few days as I'm not home atm. Till that time youll have to do the manual way, and thus adding the asset files yourself after each reboot.

Not to hate on this post OP as it is very good and informative. Performance issues is something that Bioware has responsibility of, it's not the players fault that Bioware have a problematic game client.

Tweaks etc is something that a customer never should have to do ever. This is Biowares fault and fail and they are the one that have to fix it ASAP

Some customers are tweaking and not limited to this game. Check out the LOTRO texture files for example, also on ramdisk. It is always your own choice to do something like that. Even if a game runs great there are always people to go for the extreme.

But indeed the shuttering should be prevented by bio itself.

I tried to get everything setup. It just wont work. Dunno what I am doing wrong but I've taken it all off my PC and am just going to deal with it.

If BW fixes it great, if not I'll keep playing until I can't tolerate it anymore and I will go play something else.

Thanks for the attempted help tho guys! :D

It looks like it, but as the dev mentioned:

You can always try it out, have to do the manual way or change it in the batchscript. And report back for other people who are running a 32bit version of Windows with more than 3GB ram. Also chech memory if it really uses the 'hidden' memory.

If it works I might aswell add it to the all-in-one batchscript, with 32 or 64bit detection and step execution.

Ok, I tried this...

imdisk -a -s 1500M -f \\.\awealloc -m T: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"

One thing that has to change "-f \\.\awealloc" command should look like this "-f awealloc" in the original form, it says it can't find awealloc but in second form for it can....

I have to say, the installation of imdisk mentions, that it will install awealloc.sys but in my case it didn't. So I have to manually copy awealloc.sys to system32 directory (which can be downloaded from here... http://www.ltr-data.se/files/imdisk_beta/i386/awealloc.sys)...

I after I used this configuration, the start up of the ramdrive took 3 times more then without that argument. So I am quite sure it changed something. Anyway I can play the game without any problem with the new configuration (I have a Vista 32bit so I don't know this solution will work for XP or not....)

If PAE (the ability to access memory over 3.2 GB by 32 bit system) support is not enabled by you, you can enable it with the following command and restart "bcdedit /set pae ForceEnable"

For XP users I found the following tip

Find and open X:\boot.ini file where X is the drive letter of the Windows partition. Modify the line that corresponds to current Windows OS by appending the /PAE switch. (You need to remove the read-only attribute of file boot.ini)
Edited by floriwie

I run SWTOR on an Alienware M11x with i7, 335m GF, 8gb ram and am trying to follow your guide to set up a ram drive as I have FPS issues in WZs and Fleet. Apparently I'm not as computer savvy as I thought and am having trouble. I downloaded ImDisk - first of all what exactly do I put into the ImDisk program to create the appropriate drive (I'm not familiar with the code - do I just copy/paste that into Run.exe? Do I 'mount' drive T with 1500 Mb before beginning the rest of the process?)

I followed your instructions without setting anything up on ImDisk first and when I got to the last step of 'Creating Folder Junctions' I received messages after each line of code I pasted in:

'make sure all required file system drivers are loaded and volume is not corrupted', 'local volumes are required to complete the operation', 'volume does not contain a recognized file system'.

I feel a bit out of my league here and would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.