[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Lemon_King

I am experiencing some troubles running the all- in- one batch file found in this post. If I run it as an administrator, the command prompt window opens up and closes within a second or so and nothing happens. If I run cmd as administrator and go to the directory of the batch file and run it, I get the following:

'■@' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

What is causing this error? When creating the file it was initially in ANSI encoding and the error that popped suggested using Unicode as I did. I tried running the file in different drives/directories with no success. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am experiencing some troubles running the all- in- one batch file found in this post. If I run it as an administrator, the command prompt window opens up and closes within a second or so and nothing happens. If I run cmd as administrator and go to the directory of the batch file and run it, I get the following:

'■@' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

What is causing this error? When creating the file it was initially in ANSI encoding and the error that popped suggested using Unicode as I did. I tried running the file in different drives/directories with no success. What am I doing wrong?

Well this is something new for me. I never got the question about saving as Unicode aswell. Did you used the normal notepad in Windows?

Anyway you can grab the latest version 3.1.2 from my public dropbox and try that one, as that one is the original file, and working for me.

ALL-IN-ONE v3.1.2 Dropbox ddl

Well this is something new for me. I never got the question about saving as Unicode aswell. Did you used the normal notepad in Windows?

Anyway you can grab the latest version 3.1.2 from my public dropbox and try that one, as that one is the original file, and working for me.

ALL-IN-ONE v3.1.2 Dropbox ddl

It is working now. It must have been the encoding. I haven't seen significant improvement of FPS yet, but I only have problems in 16 man operations during actual encounters (out of combat I have 20- 30 FPS). Thank you for writing the code regardless, I hope it helps at least a bit.

Great thread! Quick question:

I assume the more advanced fix of copying the assets to a larger RAM drive is undone on every reboot, right? I'm on a Mac and reboot into Windows to play SWTOR. If I setup a RAMdrive with the main assets in it, I would have to recopy them each time I rebooted, correct? The DiskCacheArena file, however, is created on launch, so that would not require manual attention, aside from ensuring that the RAMdrive is mounted before running SWTOR each time, no?

Great thread! Quick question:

I assume the more advanced fix of copying the assets to a larger RAM drive is undone on every reboot, right? I'm on a Mac and reboot into Windows to play SWTOR. If I setup a RAMdrive with the main assets in it, I would have to recopy them each time I rebooted, correct? The DiskCacheArena file, however, is created on launch, so that would not require manual attention, aside from ensuring that the RAMdrive is mounted before running SWTOR each time, no?

Yes, your correct.

Asset files have to be copied everytime you gonna use SWTOR then with a ramdisk. While the DiskCacheArena (and the 2 in local SWTOR folder) will be created on the ramdisk once linked to a ramdisk, and a ramdisk does exist, else SWTOR returns an error saying it needs at least 2GB of free space.

If you either set the ramdisk up by means of my batchscript, it has a buildin mount script or a seperaite mountscript is available that creates a ramdisk and copies the asset files to it.

[imdisk, but others have can have same functionality]

You can go also further, once you copied the asset files to a ramdisk, you can create and image of the ramdisk in then it's current state. (rightmousebutton on the ramdisk in Computer, select 'save disk content as image', no offset, compress it if wanted (saves allot of diskspace). At boot you just have to place the created image back into your ram with:

imdisk -a -t vm -f c:\swtor.img -m t:

Don't forget to place back the asset files when the game wants to patch, and create a new fresh image of the ramdisk.

Edited by Ocmer_

OK, thanks. I've not had problems with performance beyond stubborn hi-res textures that sometimes won't load (e.g. I can stare are a quest item that's a grey blob until 2-3s later, hi-res loads in), or an odd "base" skin on conversations sometimes, where characters have silver eyeballs and oily black, skin. Something tells me the first is related to a reported function in another thread where the gfx engine stops rendering while it waits for data. The second, I have no idea. I'm hoping the DataCacheArena fix takes care of the first, and I was wondering if a larger RAMdisk might address the second.

Thanks for the prompt reply! Many thanks :)

I thinkered a bit and came up with the following BATCH file. Could you all look it over and let me know if you see mistakes? The idea is that for someone forgetful like me who might start the launcher and then walk away, only to have the patch fail, I can run the .bat before playing to copy file to the RAM Disk, and then run after playing to set things back to basic setting (the DiskCacheArea settings are left intact, since it's the assets files that are the most likely to cause problems on a patch).

Obviously, my local install is at "C:\Program Files\SWToR" and that will need to be changed by anyone who uses this script.

ECHO OFF

CLS

:MENU

ECHO.

ECHO 1. To Play (Copy SW:ToR files to RAM Disk, rename locals, create links)

ECHO 2. Reboot/Patch (Set local files back to original names after deleting links)

ECHO.

SET /P M=Press 1 or 2, then ENTER...

IF %M%==1 GOTO RAM_Disk

IF %M%==2 GOTO Reboot_Patch

:RAM_Disk

cd\

cd "C:\Program Files\SWToR\Assets\"

REM Copying local SWTOR Assets to RAM Disk

copy swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor T:\

copy swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor T:\

REM Appending "_ORIG" to local SWTOR Assets

rename swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor swtor_main_art_fx_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1_ORIG.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1_ORIG.tor

REM Linking to SWTOR Assets on RAM Disk

mklink swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor"

mklink swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor "T:\swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor"

EXIT

:Reboot_Patch

cd\

cd "C:\Program Files\SWToR\Assets\"

REM Deleting links to RAM Disk

del swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor

del swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor

REM Renaming local SWTOR Assets to original filenames

rename swtor_main_art_fx_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_fx_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1.tor

rename swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1_ORIG.tor swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1.tor

EXIT

Edited by Caras

I thinkered a bit and came up with the following BATCH file. Could you all look it over and let me know if you see mistakes? The idea is that for someone forgetful like me who might start the launcher and then walk away, only to have the patch fail, I can run the .bat before playing to copy file to the RAM Disk, and then run after playing to set things back to basic setting (the DiskCacheArea settings are left intact, since it's the assets files that are the most likely to cause problems on a patch).

Obviously, my local install is at "C:\Program Files\SWToR" and that will need to be changed by anyone who uses this script.

Well I read over it quickly but it should do the job, but I take it you didn't look at the created batchscript I created over the past month?

It does a little more checking all around; available files, create ramdisk, copy files, check if files are links already, auto path finding by registery, ect. Well it is more solid for a wider use of people as they have hardly to do anything to set it up.

Well just have a look at my post; ALL-IN-ONE v3.2.1.

edit; Patching can still fail even if you created a ramdisk and copied the asset files to it. SWTOR does not like updating the files tru links, so you always have to remove the links and rename it back before patching.

Edited by Ocmer_

No, I hadn't seen that particular post. I saw one that you made that did a quick copy/ren/mklink on each asset file. I'll look at the one you just posted asap. Thanks :)

EDIT: Hot Dam(n)! You all rock!

Edited by Caras

EDIT: Hot Dam(n)! You all rock!

Haha, ye I tought allot about other users that are not familiar. Like the extra checks I build in to check if each asset file is already a link (or local SWTOR) is to prevent loss of data if people execute the setup twice or more.

In this case, you can select setup as much as you want (and even change settings!) without loss of data or overwriting original asset files with files that are links (thus creating a copy of a link renamed to *_ORIG.tor) and yes that happend to me already when I debugged the script haha.

edit; One thing tho, this script of mine always adds DiskCacheArena and the local SWTOR onto the ramdisk.. but maybe it is an idea to make that an option aswell but I think those 2 are the best to put on a ramdisk.

Edited by Ocmer_

Just checking if I understand correctly: On reboot, before starting the game, I run the batch file and press "m" only. When a patch comes out, I run the batch file, press "r" which reverts all changes, then patch, run the batch file and press "s" as if it is the first time I set it up?

Also, I forgot about the problems with patching, so I had mounted the drive and had everything set up for playing SWTOR when I started downloading 1.2 on the PTR. At the time of this post, I have downloaded and installed Main Assets 1 and currently I am downloading English Assets 1 with no issues so far. Should I expect an error any time soon? Are the files that I am downloading and installing interfering with the Live ones, or are the PTR ones separate? Does the batch file work for the PTR files or is another version needed?

Rmadrive files work well. I've even noticed my CPU runs cooler with ramdrive than without. Thanks.:D

I never noticed this personally unless your harddrives run hot or are not cooled properly.

e: Heads up, if you're using FancyCache check to ensure your copy has not expired as they released 0.7.2.

Edited by Lemon_King

Just checking if I understand correctly: On reboot, before starting the game, I run the batch file and press "m" only. When a patch comes out, I run the batch file, press "r" which reverts all changes, then patch, run the batch file and press "s" as if it is the first time I set it up?

Also, I forgot about the problems with patching, so I had mounted the drive and had everything set up for playing SWTOR when I started downloading 1.2 on the PTR. At the time of this post, I have downloaded and installed Main Assets 1 and currently I am downloading English Assets 1 with no issues so far. Should I expect an error any time soon? Are the files that I am downloading and installing interfering with the Live ones, or are the PTR ones separate? Does the batch file work for the PTR files or is another version needed?

For the first one your completely correct.

If you prefer you can use the mountscript (same settings!) which you just run and won't have to press anything.

For your second question, I'm not sure. But my guess is that it won't affect the PTR version as my batchscrip only changes the files of the live version. I presume the location of files for a ptr are stored on another location, but as I said I'm not sure as I don't have a PTR up.

Any help with improving performance on Ilum?

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

RAM: 4GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

I know the comp. is a little outdated, but it ran AoC with no problems during Sieges. I have no problems anywhere else in-game (Fleet, WZ's, FP or OPs), but Ilum is brutal (3-5 fps).

And, yes, I have all graphic settings set to low.

Thanks

Any help with improving performance on Ilum?

RAM: 4GB

Well I know you hate it that your own thread got closed and got a list with unspecific links by a mod, but that isn't really the reason to not read an OP.

This 'solution' is more intended to prevent the hitching (and bit of loading) of gamedata on your harddrive by placing some extra files on your ram. Some users, but not all, report back with increased FPS but that is not really the full intention here.

By doing this we recommend at least 6GB of internal ram, which you are short on. You should be able to place one asset file on a ramdisk of 300MB (then 4GB is enough) but I doubt it will improve Ilum performance.

Edit; You should be lucky that you have no problems in a WZ you can always just skip Ilum for now. Personally I find Ilum a bit meh, But that is my opinion ;).

Edited by Ocmer_

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I notice no decrease in loadtimes using the OP instructions.

I'm running a Crucial M4 256GB on a Sata3 port.

8GB Corsair 1600MHz RAM

Intel i52500k @ 4GHz

I'm running with the 1600M ram disk (arena + fx) and a 2.5G FancyCache allocation; the rest of SWTOR is running on SSD.

There's a simple test where you move forward and open and close your Inventory window and observe the hitching effect. With my current configuration, I would expect it to hitch once, then not hitch thereafter due to caching. Instead, it hitches every time. The hard drive activity light flashes when it hitches (that's kind of ambiguous, since I have Win7-64 Home Premium running on a hybrid HDD/SSD using Lenovo ReadyDrive technology).

I'm not sure what to make of this, as it's a consistently reproducible effect.

I wanted to try this out and everything is fine except now every time I run the game I have to change some of the preferences because they don't seem to be saving and also the game intro movie always plays as if it is not saving.

My question is, why aren't some of my preferences saving? My key binds are fine but things like fly text and sound settings are not.

Any solution or ideas or is anyone else having this problem? Or did I miss something?

I wanted to try this out and everything is fine except now every time I run the game I have to change some of the preferences because they don't seem to be saving and also the game intro movie always plays as if it is not saving.

My question is, why aren't some of my preferences saving? My key binds are fine but things like fly text and sound settings are not.

Any solution or ideas or is anyone else having this problem? Or did I miss something?

Did you setup the ramdisk manually or used the all-in-one batchscript? If you used the batchscript, please run it as administrator.

Anyway the problem lies somewhere in the local SWTOR folder that is not renamed (batchscript) or you did not copy settings to installpath/swtor/retailclient/, in case of the manual way.

We shouldn't have to find a fix for there crappy engine, they should have made it work from day 1 or hold back release, I feel like I'm still playing beta with less graphic options.

Man, you would have gone insane during DOS days if you had a Sound Blaster ISA Card.